Which tools - soldering station from scratch

What about the weight of the extension cord? Wrap it around your neck before climbing the ladder? Bad idea.
I used mine + a battery in my pocket to solder my LED strip in the bedroom. It was the perfect tool for the job. And another day I used it out at the mailbox for a sensor. It’s just awesome.

I’m going to go out on limb and categorize “soldering LED strips on the bedroom ceiling” as a rather unique use case. :partying_face:

:innocent:
Just less than 48 hours ago I used the battery again to solder in a fan speed control knob on my 3D printer.
It wouldn’t have been a big deal to find an outlet, but the battery is just so dang handy.

It’s just like my experience with my first cordless drill. Before I had it, it was like, why?? Then once I had it I stopped using my corded drill entirely.

The T12 soldering station clone is about the best you can get for this kind of money, IMHO.You should get especially the V2.1S ones. Sure, the fake tips are crappy quality, but they are still usable for the bargain price. There are a ton of different designs to choose from, my recent favorite is the JL02.

TS100 is also great, but has a bit less power, and worse ergonomics for me. For travel work, it is much better though.

There is an option to use a KSGER with batteries
With the control unit into a tactical pouch, you would look awesome in the field. :laughing:

OK - I’ve narrowed it down to a KSGER or Quicko.

For light duty occasional use, is there anything in the fancy KSGER controller that would shine over what appears to be a simple on/off + temp control in the Quicko?

Use a different soldering iron.

You don’t have just one light, right? :person_facepalming:

The KSGERs usually have a 5 wire interface, and they employ handle temparature compensation. It means that when the handle heats up, the tip temperature will not rise equally. It is not a huge concern, but still a nice addition.The Quicko does not do that afaik.

The KSGER ones are much refined in terms of UI, they have individual tip calibration, nice(actually working) sleep and boost modes, buzzer setting, as well as other nice but not mandatory settings. I have never handled a Quicko one, but from internet reviews, while they work correctly, they are inferior to the KSGER ones in terms of refinedness.

The KSGERs are also not perfect, the power supply might need some tweaks to achieve perfect safety, but this could also be an issue to the Quicko, idk.

Those are all nice details, and feed right into my desire to not pursue a bargain to the point of buying an inferior product. If I can find one at a good price from a US shipper, I think I’ll go this way. What can I say - I really, really want to get started on adding USB-C resistors to my LT1. :smiley:

Has anyone tried to run a KSGER with an alternate DC source? I’ve got this idea in my head to add a DC input in parallel to the power supply (or maybe isolated with a DPDT switch). I’m not really sure what I’d use this for… Maybe 4S battery pack, or an alternate 12v source. Now that I’m thinking of it, since this one is designed around a 24v internal supply, I’m wondering what its real lower voltage requirement is.

It’s been a good discussion. Whatever you choose, please come back when you place your order and tell us why you chose it over the others.

My Quicko had been working great. The sleep and boost both work fine. I can run it off 12 volts or as high as 24 volts. You will lose power vs the higher voltage, so be expecting that if you rim it at the lower voltage.

…And it’s time to resurrect this zombie.

“life’ happened and I haven’t made the purchase yet.
This Time It WILL be Different!
:innocent:

Space is now at a premium for me, so the TS100 is looking more and more attractive. Is this still the current model name? Have they moved to USB-C yet?