White vs High CRI

:+1: :+1: alternative facts :+1: :+1:

I think it is, but only if you say, "Sit and rotate."

In my experience that’s usually associated with a different digit

So, if one wants to lose weight, cook and eat beneath a low R9 light.

Great explanation. Is there a specific reason R9-R14 are omitted from factoring of CRI Ra?

I dont know, not privvy to the politics of CRI regulations…

its like the Ansii Lumen specs… based on rules created by vested interests…

Im just glad to have access to R9 info, from a few people here that own expensive spectrometers… so I can make my own determination, beyond MFG CRI Ra specs… And Im glad to have info on which LEDs are 9080 vs 9050…

then there are some, like Zebralight, that have “High CRI” offerings that are even lower than 9050… the CRI Ra and CRI R9 on this sample (on left) was just 8010…

(focus on the Red Bars)

imo, very misleading to call that Zebra “High” CRI.

White = Taylor Swift

High CRI = Your choice of Pop Star

LMAO

Thank you, spamyak! I see now how misconceptions can easily crop up where Hi-CRI is concerned, and that it’s all about color rendering independent of the emitter tint temperature.

You may already know this, but I just want to clear up another common misconception/misnomer. The CRI color bars (R1-R14) do not indicate the intensity of certain wavelengths; they indicate how accurately a measured source will render a specific sample color swatch.

I’ll refer back to my RGB LED measurement. In this example, the R9 is extremely low (–122) because there is far too much red content in the light at the measured CCT. You can see in the vector graphic that this source is super-saturating reds, but this results in an extremely low R9 value.

Typically, though, when we discuss R9 in regards to white LEDs, a low value is usually the result of not having sufficient red phosphor content, thereby desaturating reds (as you pointed out previously).

Thanks Rayoui, I learned’d something :student: Not only does CRI Ra not include 42% of the measurable wavelengths it gives no regard to intensity of each. I get the feeling a simple ‘high CRI’ labelled led is really just a catch phrase and full graphs like you linked is the only way to know what is a good colour rendering led.

That's exactly right. I prefer TM30 anyway, it's a much nicer system than CRI, but the industry is now so deep into the CRI hole it'll take forever to transition to a system that makes more sense.

thank you Stream, i learned something too.

Dept of Energy description pdf: TM-30 Fact Sheet

Did you say… “CRI hole?”
:laughing: