Who can build me a Custom UV Emisar D4?

Simon might be willing to sell you a Convoy S12 with triple LG UV 365nm emitters if you ask.

I asked him earlier today about such a build, we’ll see what he says. I will buy one immediately if he can do it.

It will be pricey (LG UV 365nm emitters are not cheap), but very powerful, and eye protection and extreme caution will be required.

Well there I go, completely missing an important UV LED with much lower Vf. Thanks djozz :wink:

And while it (hopefully) doesn’t need to be said, I’ll say it anyway.

Wear appropriate eyewear, unless you wanna go all Stevie Wonder and/or Ray Charles and/or Andrea Bocelli.

So unless you have some serious musical talent, listen up.

Don't worry, it's okay...

I'm sure he's a musical genius.

^ Nobel Prize material.

Thank you, now all who have checked your links will see aliexpess page in dutch.
Is there any special reason why you use it? In most cases ali provide awfull traslation, isnt it more easy to use global version?

Back to topic.
I think we need to start with one question - do you need any special throw application? What is the distance from flashlight to objects?

It is not me but aliexpress that gives me the dutch page all the time. There probably is a way to make it default in english but I did not bother to find out. But when I provide links I should take care to give them in english, sorry about that!

Cool Im interested in the 3 LG S12 sounds like a winner… Who do I speak to about it again?

Who is Simon? how do I talk to him about an S12 project?

Simon is the owner of Convoy Flashlights. He is also present in this forum and often does special builds for customers on request. The way maybe to do it is ordering an S12 on his aliexpress website, but not pay it but instead write a message to him in the order page asking for the different leds. If you are lucky he will be willing to build you the UV S12 (he does not have a UV-pass filter in the S12 size so that you will have to do yourself) and will adjust the price accordingly. Then you pay.

https://convoy.nl.aliexpress.com/store/330416

But maybe you can ask Simon directly in the Convoy thread on BLF: 【convoy】S21E XHP50.3 HI available now

It seems that heat is an issue with UV LEDs, and hence they are not well suited for hotrods. If you use it until it is hot, you will damage the LED, especially when it is overdriven.

“LG parts must be derated starting at 25-30c – expecting the Convoy to reliably dissipate heat well enough for one of their UV LEDs driven at 5.8W is wishful thinking (IMHO).”

There is a derating curve shown in the AliExpress listing, 25C - 1500 mA, 60C - 700 mA, 85C - 100 mA. This is for ambient temperature, not LED temperature or flashlight body temperature.

S12 has some temperature protection, but probably not aggressive enough to save UV LEDs from heat damage.

I have no personal experience with this issue, does anyone know more?

Look at post #10 above. You see it is djozz recommending this UV LED in this Convoy S12 host. If you click through his links, you will also see that djozz tested the LG UV LED a while back. I think I’d trust his opinion of what that emitter can handle. :innocent: :smiley: :wink:

Well, my opinion is that I do not test what happens in situations that take longer than my led tests. :innocent:

Experiences on BLF (outside my tests) show that white leds have proven to sustain their output levels over quite a long time, even severy overdriven, but there is hardly data on what happens with UV leds.

The little that I do know:

• the Nichia 276A U365 does detoriate quite fast at 700mA drive current, there are several reports of Convoy’s with that led that failed (typically the led starts emitting lots of visible light and less and less UV)
  • pirateo04, who uses UV led lamps for his shop displays, told me that the Seoul Viosys 365nm led that I tested, quite soon dims when used for an extended time, but that the LG 365nm leds hold up much better over time. He does not use the leds out of specifications.

That is all I know.

Well the Fyrfly Convoy C8 is being driven at 8 watts according to their claim… They utlize the LG bulb with a Heat Sink and Arctic Silver Thermal Paste to dissipate heat.

Thanks for the extra info djozz. :partying_face:

How do i get in touch with Simon?

See Post #24 above.

If you really need a powerful wide beam UV light, there is always the Acebeam X80 UV. 16x Nichia 276A 365nm UV LEDs!

that one is kinda overkill and too big , not like u can have it in your pants… but im surpised hank doesnt make some niv uv, or other color versions in the lights…