Why are HDS Systems lights held in such high regard?

I’m not trying to start a flame war here, I am just genuinely curious. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why people hold HDS Systems lights in the God-like status they appear to have. What about them makes them THAT much better than your run of the mill light? What justifies the $100-$200 for a single cell EDC light?

I think there is a huge thread at CPF. More info there.

Also not trying to start any kind of flame war...

I think with lights, just as with MANY other products, there is a certain point of extreme diminishing returns.

There is only so much that can be done to make a flashlight more reliable, a knife sharper, or a car "better".

These lights are representative of that category of products where you do get a premium item, but at a cost far out line to performance.

What really bugs me is all the 'TM' stamps on all their flashlights.

They did not invent EDC or Clicky or Rotary or Tactical or High CRI and sure as hell not IR.

You can't just take common terms and claim them as solely for your company.

Flashlights look nice, but I think I'd get that nice silver SWM M11R if I wanted to drop seriously crazy dough.

Yeah, I’m pretty happy with my titanium and carbon fiber 500 lumen infinitely variable Niteye EYE10 TiC that can use CR123, RCR123, 16340, and 18350 batteries…

Maybe some day I will check out an HDS if the price is right.

Niteye is sweet,I don't know about HDS lights at all other than the exorbitant price tag.Oh,BTW,from reading ;) some reviews on the niteye,I found out there's 6 pre-drilled trit slots in the heatsink

O_O!!! Looking into this immediately…

I’ve owned a Clicky 120 for more than 4 years now, and it’s the only light I trust enough to put in my bug out bag.

Plus, I can keep messing around with the programmability if I’m bored during the apocalypse :bigsmile: