Why can't this run an MT-G2?

You can power 2*XP-L / 2*XP-G2 / 2*XP-E2 in series, MK-R 6V, other higher Vf LEDs while using 2-3*18650 or 2-3*18350 cells in series.
Not suitable for MT-G2 LED.

Its saying it will drive 6 volt leds. Just not the MTG2.

I have MT-G2 lights that run a moon mode so low you can barely tell they’re on. WAY under 3A. I have an X6 MT-G2 that is using one of Wights PZL drivers that only does 3.04A on high. Works fine. I’ll get a quick read on current levels in that one….brb

Edit: Sorry, I must’ve got bored and stacked some chips on the PZL driver, (all 7135 chips, no mosfet) It’s making 5.2A on Turbo but pulling 0.20A on the lowest. I also have a Convoy C8 with MT-G2 that has one of the first FET drivers, it pulls 0.06A on moon, glows dim enough to stare at the emitter. High or Turbo is doing 5.02A. These numbers are all on the same pair of new dark purple Efest 18350’s at a rested 4.17V. What I don’t know is if the PWM is making it possible to run so low. Build one and see… :wink:

Edit II: Also, just for the record, the MT-G2 can take direct drive from 2 top 18650’s with no driver. 16A or so. It peaks in output around the 12A range, does really well between 7A and 9A.

I put an MT-G2 in my Nitecore TM03 running on one 18650. :wink: I’ve also had MT-G2’s in chopped MiniMag’s running a pair of 14250 IMR cells. It’s a very versatile emitter…

Though it has terrible modes: starts on High and has two strobe modes.

What about 2 x Li-ion? I never said anything about using it single cell.

You can use a Qlite 3.04A driver with Zener modification to run 2 cells to an MT-G2. You can build it with more or less 7135 chips to run at a level you desire it to run. The thing to do is simply build it and see what works for your needs. You’re not likely to hurt the emitter, they’re quite versatile. Build it, play around with what works for you, you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Steve has an entire thread already devoted to MTG drivers Here .

Thanks RBD, I’d forgotten about that thread.
It looks like no one knows the answer to the question CD.

I’d be willing to bet it will run it just fine. I Just don’t know why Hank would have put that note.

My hunch is it will run fine too, hence the question on why Hank’s site says it won’t.

I was looking for drivers to run off a 12-13v source, i.e. a car. Think I’ve found better alternatives now, but still curious.

Oh, I’d trust Hank on this one.

There is something with buck driver and the MT-G2, although I too don’t know why some work and some don’t.

I just know from experience that the older version of the LD-29 did work with the MT-G2, the newer ones (layout was changed in 2014 or so) do not.

And the LD-2C did never work with the MT-G2.

Furthermore, Hank is quite precise with the descriptions on his website. When he writes this note, I believe the driver either does not work with the MT-G2 at all, or is at best not stable enough so he want’s to avoid complaints.

So at best this driver might work, which would not be good enough for me to order one if I plan to fire up an MT-G2. Best thing would be to look up MRsDNF’s thread to find a driver that truly works.

I have that same driver, and it will run an 6V MT-G2 on 2 or 3 cells only, but not at as powerful as a good FET MT-G2 driver or even a stacked 7135 Zener/Q-Lite. (but that driver won’t run a MT-G2 on one cell.)
MT-G2 is still my fave big honking emitter. I have modded MT-G2s in many of my lights, and have several stock ones with it too. ( JM35, M-51, etc.) have a few modded with the zener-mod for nanjq including lanterns, and recently swapped out the greenish tint XHP70 that was in my Klarus G20 for a Q0 MT-G2.

Maybe the components on the driver are spec’ed such that 2.5 amps is the maximum that they feel it can handle safely, either electrically or thermally. When I was messing around with some buck drivers, I literally burned several out (I don’t remember which component).

The simple answer is to use a 9V MTG2. This emitter is available as a 6V, 9V or 36V. I am running 3 of the 9V on 3 cells in a BTU Shocker with a direct drive driver and they’re beautiful. For the 12V (14.1V) of a car, the 9V variant would be an excellent choice.

Interesting, i never tried the 9v variation in that way as DD.Thanks Dale for the tip.

The only place I’ve located the 9V MT-G2 is Cutter.
The emitter isn’t marked in any way that I can tell identifying it as a 9V or 6V, so if you have some on hand and get some of the 9V be sure you mark or otherwise indicate which is which. I accidentally put the 9V version in a build intended for the 6V and while it did work it was with greatly reduced output over what I was expecting. Took a bit to figure out what happened. lol

Dale. Does the 9 volt MTG2 use the same MCPCB as the 6 volt led?

Yes, it looks identical.

Thanks.

YW Steve. I’ve got 3 in the Shocker doing right at 10,000 lumens on copper mcpcbs, also have 2 more in modified X6’s with extension tubes running 3 18350 cells that make 4400-4500 lumens at about 9.5A. The XHP-70 can outperform it in sheer lumens, but the beauty of the MT-G2 is it’s creamy tint of course. :slight_smile:

I may check them out then. Have you tried the 9v version on a 12 volt power source?