why do I keep getting trash chargers?! (small rant inside)

Hmmmā€¦ :~
So it would be best to thoroughly check my chargers thenā€¦
My faith in simple voltage regulation is not justified, apparentlyā€¦ :frowning:

Has anyone attempted to identify the charge controller in nitecore & xtar chargers?

~ edit ~
Nitecore i4 and i2 charger teardown Main chip in both is either unmarked or had its markings removed. Not what Iā€™d want to see, especially on a supposedly better quality brand. Mystery chips always instill confidence. Post 34 Nitecore i4 blew.

Xtar wp2 II teardown More blank chips.

Iā€™ll likely disassemble my xtar VP2 (free giveaway / contest) whenever it gets to me. Donā€™t see any teardown of the VP1 or VP2 around.

I have lots of chargers, but my go to chargers are side by side Xtar SP2s. They are my most trustworthy chargers. My VP1 is also excellent, but the sliders are so sticky, I hardly use it except for 16340 and 14500.

Ouchyfoot, have you tried putting a lubricant on the slides. I donā€™t have a VP1 but I put a white grease called Lubriplate on all my sliders and they slide much easier, it also reduces wear. Surprisingly it does not attract dirt.

I got the LUCV4, imho is great unit, mine terminate @ 4.16/4.17ā€¦ā€¦i dont have any issues, maybe you where just unlucky? :frowning:

The markings were most likely removed to prevent piracy. A few of these post complain about inaccurate readings and such and some switch to charger twice as much. Mine has been fine other than having to add lube to the rail slots. At $18 US I would consider this throw away, after 90 day free return depending on vendor, if not a quick cheap repair.

After reading this I bought mine. :slight_smile:

thanks, you just convinced me to never buy one

My accucell-6 does a great job with most chemistry. My i2 is OK on Lion but overcharge/overheats NiMh.

The AC-8 should have adjustable voltage endpoint as you indicate. What are you using to measure it?

[Do not buy IMAX B6 unless you KNOW itā€™s not a fake. There are some poor quality oneā€™s out there]. IMAX+eBay+cheap=fake > possible problems. You are almost sure to be disappointed. The 4-button hobby chargers kind of look the same but components and care in assembly varies a lot. Unfortunately this may happen in the same lot/brand.

7. 2x nitecore i4s ā€“ I have two of these, and I absolutely LOVE these chargers to deathā€¦

Same here. I use nothing else for charging all my cells. Every other charger I have tried is junk compared to the i4

i4 is great, but its WAY to slow.

I check voltage with DMM

I have a Maha C9000 and Fenix ARE-C2, both of them are very good.

I like my i4 too. I stopped using my other cheap-o ones when I got it . It is a bit slow, but a fast-n-furious charge may be harder on the cells. You can push more current by charging in bays 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 when only charging 2 batteries at a time; 700mA iirc. 350mA is a slow charge if you put the batteries in bays 1 and 3 at the same time or 2 and 4 according to the user guide.

You are good with the accuracy of that unit? How do you know where the inaccuracy is for sure? I know a lot of the cheap Chinese chargers are just that, cheap, poor components and slapped together. OTOH I think a lot of DMM may be in the same category. Accuracy gets to be problematic.

I have a cheap DMM, but I have checked its accuracy against my Dads fluke and its spot on

You should be good then. Iā€™m surprised about the Accucell.

I had major issues with my i4 v2, had it replaced and had the same issues however I figured out it only happened when using the internal AC/DC transformer, using a 12v 5A power supply plugged into the 12v in jack and I havenā€™t had an issue since, its perfect now.

No worries there mate, I have a pair of them, best chargers Iā€™ve ever used. Like I said nothing wrong with my i4 now but neither of my IQ-328ā€™s have ever had a single issue. If the need for another NiMH only charger ever comes up I wonā€™t even look at any newer options.

I have an i4 and it has been a breeze to use since day 1. I have the opus BT-C3100 on the way.

The only thing I can complain about the i4 is the very slow charging current, and it only charges Li-ions to 4.17v.

I don't mind the slow wait of the intelli(r)chargers. I know it's not recommended, but it's the only charger I admittedly leave unattended for hours at a time. I have at least four dozen lithium cells now, even after getting rid of the bomb threats.

For me, their reliability and low current are the only reasons why I am going to purchase the digicharger when it comes out.

I don't even leave the 3100 on it's alonesome with low charge current.

So I couldnā€™t really find any other charger like the 3100 after the problems HKJ pointed out (iā€™m probably over-reacting). But is there no other charger that is
ā€“4 bay
-shows capacity
ā€“4x1A possible
ā€“2x2A possible
-supports NiMH AA/AAA as well as 18650 LiIon

Went through HKJā€™s reviews and couldnā€™t find anything that could do all that.