Why do people collect flashlights?

Testing 1, 2, 30.

I started as a kid at around 10. I always liked outdoors and was fascinated by having the power to light up the darkness. Then as lights kept getting more and more powerful especially when leds came out I just kept wanting that awe that was intensified as the lights did.

I am always worried about one of my children getting one of my lights and turning it on and dropping it behind the couch or something and burning the house down or hurting themselves.

Do you know how many people were killed with hammers? Or how many people are protected by firearms? People will always hurt each other or do evil, like drive a car into a crowd. It doesn’t take away the positive utility of the tool because someone chooses to missuse it.

I keep my lights that have sentimental value, but I enjoy modding lights and the cool new technology in new lights so I give a lot of my old lights away to give the joy I had with them to someone else and possibly get them into the same hobby if they enjoy it. A lot of people don’t realize what kind of lights are out there or what they’re capable of.

I couldn’t put it any better.

It is a natural and safe outcome from our life-long fascination with fire.

First it was the match. Next we discovered candles, and enjoyed fireworks as well as bonfires and camping lanterns. Then we saw news/documentaries about military flame-throwers in World War II, especially in the Pacific.

Now in peacetime, we have settled for relatively harmless (but sometimes expensive) flashlights. :innocent:

I only have nine currently. But I also have 3 additional Q8’s for my boys and my wife. LOL
Two more lights on the way.

For me, I think it stems from my childhood and walking through the woods at night, camping memories, etc….
I am also into guns and cameras, but lights are way more affordable.

Ha! Especially that middle part, reminding me that the same reaction that enables nuclear power was used to create the first nuclear bombs.

What I can’t help thinking of was the opening title for the 2-parter of “Enterprise”, “In A Mirror Darkly”, which was sheer brilliance.

First is the S1/S2 opener, then the opener for IAMD:

I get tickled every time I see it. :laughing:

I just realized I have a third collection besides my flashlights and knives

LIGHTERS! I got a bunch of different zippo and jet lighters

have you ever held a powerful flashlight in complete darkness? the ability to go from “the day is over, i must retire to my dwelling” to “what is darkness and why does it have no effect on me?” is truly a powerful feeling, it makes you want more and more power, more lumens, better tint, better runtime, next thing you know, its 1 year later and you have $2000 worth of batteries and flashlights, and you begin to appreciate not only the light output, but the graceful pvd coating of a Fenix light, or the masterful functionality and UI of the flush stainless Acebeam switch; the raw power of an XHP70.2 and the distance an sst70 can throw while maintaining efficiency. this does not only happen in our community, but in every area where you find enjoyment of an inanimate object. for example, i came from the headphone community, where an outsider might think “get a pair of beats and be done”, but the enthusiast will never be content, we are never truly content even if we have the perfect light or the perfect wife, or life, we always want more, its in our nature. some of you might come from collecting whiskey, Russian nesting dolls, or antique medical equipment. truth of the matter is, flashlights are amongst the most essential emergency tools, and having many is no problem, one thing is guaranteed, and that is the sun will set, so are you ready?

P.S.
muussst resssiisst buyyyying moreee liiiiiights!

Then maybe Toykeeper is the one breaking BLF rules .

My take on the rule is simpler .

Don't make a comment when someone mentions something religious . Almost anything these days people consider controversial or divisive . I say suck it up buttercup and try with all your might to ... restrain from replying .Seems like it's always the second ,third and fourth comment that turns the whole thing upon it's head .

People collect flashlights because they are in search of the perfect light