Why have app / voice controlled flashlights not really emerged yet?

I can’t bear it anymore…

bearly hanging on

they have been around since 2013 at least in some form, mostly failed

Finally I had some time to start with this project :)
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/69319

Interested in three, LOL.

Actually it is not too difficult to put some bluetooth functionality into flashlights.

I did this with my first BLF contest entry. Was pretty easy, there are small bluetooth modules available and a simple app was quickly designed.

And I integrated bluetooth in my Q8 Janus. There is plenty of space for an additional bluetooth module in the Q8’s driver cavity. A problem with reflector flashlights is the shielding by the metal body but I was able to integrate the antenna as a track on the switch PCB.

Although I could control the usual flashlight functions via app, most of the time I only use this functionality for basic setup (temperature and voltage calibration and some other settings).

Each to their own, perhaps enough want voice activation it may become a thing. Personally I can’t stand voice activation. However, I do feel Bluetooth could eventually catch on as an additional setup tool.

As lights become increasingly complex with more useful configuration options, at some point easy external setup using USB or BT becomes more rational. Choosing between a few brightness modes or mode groups is cool, but most of us just do that once and then use it.

I think as RGB and color temperature control become increasingly prevalent it is more likely to take hold. Setting my lights color for a full RGBAW lantern via clicks at some point becomes burdensome. The ability to use your phone to control the colour or colour temperature of house lighting is rapidly becoming mainstream. I think this is where this technology is most likely to gain traction. The brightness levels are already well served with clicking in reality. However the introduction of widespread colour or colour temperature control increases the controllable variables hugely, meaning a single input control device like our e switch rapidly becomes burdensome. You just have to look at the number of posts about setting aux lights in Anduril to see that.

Interesting idea, but I’d have to say for the most part…the thing’s already in my hand…I’ll just click the button. I do have plenty of other “voice controlled” lights tho

Quite a few examples:
Antsonamelon RGB Critter - can be music controlled.
Most RGB Panel Lights (my favourite is the Weeylite RB9) are app controlled by bluetooth (these lights are massively popular with photographers).
Most flashlights/headlamps/bike lights from Knog - mode groups can be added/removed/re-ordered on a desktop app and uploaded via USB.

I think 4sevens had a bluetooth app controlled torch many years, and Nextorch also had an ?USB uploaded mode order function on one light.

AGREE

had not thought of that but yes, you do have to hold the thing, what advantage is talking to it?

I could get behind a flashlight that’s able to be plugged into your computer and programmed, easily, via USB (rather than having to program via CAN bus on top of the chip, or whatever protocol some of the new flashlights use). The flashlight would be totally usable and programmable via the buttons, OR you could plug it in and set up custom modes, or even get diagnostic data.

I would definitely not want an app, unless it was specifically unpaid, un-advertised, and didn’t require an account to use.

Just open your wallet and go ahead LUX-RC

I’m not advocating for voice controlled lights in any way but I can see usages for it. If you are using your flashlight on a tripod while doing something on a ladder or under a car, it could be beneficial to not have to go to the flashlight to change brightness. For example, I took this photo while ice climbing. My belayer was of coarse busy belaying me, she could press the button on the camera remote but she couldn’t run around adjusting all five lights on various tripods. I wouldn’t have minded her being able to say “max” or something similar to put all lights to full blast for the photo. Instead I had to pose for longer because of increased shutter time (I couldn’t have the lights on full when I started climbing or they would have overheated before I was ready for the photo).

I can also see a voice controlled headlamp while having both of your hands full being useful in some situations. But with all of this said, I still don’t think I would bother myself. I’m just saying that I can see usages for it and can understand why some people might want it.

oh

i never do that :slight_smile:

though if i had that, i would probably use voice control about 2 times a year

just like a pocketknife :slight_smile:

though i have a tiny one in a leatherman micro on keychain

still

if voice made it cost $5 more or be .5” longer, i would still not do it

if it was free, in all respects, then fine

but even so i would probably turn it off most of the time

A computer program is substantially the same as a phone app, so you might see the mentioned obstacles on both (or not).

If you have an Android smartphone that has an LED light, you can just say “OK Google, turn on the flashlight,” and it should turn on. I tried doing it a few times, but the voice recognition was slower than just going through the phone menu and turning on the LED on the phone, and a LOT longer than grabbing my EDC light and pressing the button.

Using your phone is very often simply irritating. But still I see very good uses for an app. I would configure activity based profiles.
A clean-out-basement-profile, walking-the-dog-profile, mountain-biking-profile and close-up-headlamp-profile, all would have different lumen settings.
Totally awesome it would be if the lumen could be really configured. So set 777 lumen instead of picking from a preset high-med-low.
I think many on this forum would love that. All complaints about mode spacing and moonlight being to bright would be gone. We could even share configuration files.

Ignoring the fact voice control often fails and having to repeat things makes it slower…
Voice control could be nice for settings that are hidden many clicks away.
Or when you are wearing gloves.

I’m also a supporter of free stuff, who isn’t. Don’t like ads or trackers. But am willing to pay a small price for something good.
But that’s the same for a program on my PC. I prefer that to be free too.

I really like a PC because a large screen and keyboard just work better than a phone.
The big advantage of a phone is that can use it control the light when on the road.

Yeah, my initial thinking was all USB as well. Then I thought of the fact half the time I might want to use it would be outside at night.

Also if it has a Bluetooth app option I would guess you open yourself up to a much larger customer base. But perhaps I’m wrong about this.

But like others I want it for programming or setup primarily. Not for regular control.