Why is the MK-R (relatively) ignored in DIY flashlights?

That’s them exactly and the seller that I bought them from also.

Long transit time’s seem to have delayed my quest to have the first [converted to] MK-R light here :frowning: Oh well…

Tracking show’s my shipment of 12v NW MK-R’s are in chicago today, I have the sinkpad’s filed down to ~12mm (however broke one in the process and Dale sent me one more!).

They’ll be wired in parallel in my TN30 (with a MAJOR resistor mod and all spring’s bypassed). Really looking forward to this one, took me a long time to get to it. And I’m most excited it’s a personal light, havent done a light for myself in a few months now. Just wish I would of went with XHP’s now tho but when the project started they weren’t out.

Hey all, i just picked up an mk-r to replace an xm-l.
i cant the mk-r to work, is this because its voltage (12v) is higher then my flashlight puts out?
thanks!

depends on the flashlight :wink:

but a XM-L has a Vf (forward voltage) from ~ 4V…

If you purchased a 12 volt emitter then you’ll need a driver that can handle 12 volts and at least 3 batteries in serial configuration to deliver the 12 volts.

Ah ok gotcha, im new at this.
I cant seem to find a driver on dx.com that would work?
Anyone know of one?
I have four 26650’s that I was going to use.

Just my luck. When I ordered they showed >950 units in stock.

I was going to use this one for the mk-r
ebay 131135364874
but I guess that wont fire the mk-r will it?

Actually that will work but you can get it for $4.99 here.

I must be missing something, where does it say that board has 12v output.
it would work for the normal xm-l etc but not the mk-r

Buck is the word your looking for.

A Buck driver can supply the required voltage of your emitter as long as there is sufficient overhead.

Huh, ok I actually have one of these ebay ones in hand, 131135364874

so your saying that will light the mk-r?

just to clear things up, how would that driver light my 3.5volt xm-l2 and a 12v mk-r?

Yes it will work with your MK-R.

on the page it say its suitable for a single xm-l2?

I corrected my previous post because I haven’t used that exact driver, there are many drivers like it that will blow a single XM-L2.

Ah ok I see.
I wonder why dont these drivers list the output voltage? Seems like that would be useful.
Obviously something major im missing. How does my current driver light my xm but not the mk-r,
but the ebay driver would light both?

Your current driver is designed for an emitter with a forward voltage requirement of around 3.2 volts, if you input a voltage higher than what the board is designed for it will blow the driver, emitter or both.

A buck driver can supply an emitter with whatever voltage is needed as long as the input voltage is sufficently higher than the output voltage.

Would the mk-r be dim if it was underpowered? or not turn on at all?
my xm-l2 will dim but not shut off.
the mk-r will not do anything, im wondering if its a bad emitter?
I just received it in the mail today.

What light are you putting the MK-R into?

Does it accept all 4 of your 26650’s in serial (front to back) connection?

Remember you must supply adequate overhead voltage to power a 12 volt emitter.

These are important questions which must be answered.

Vwarner, you’ve jumped in at the deep end here with no flotation aid. Many residents here on the forum have problems with these topics despite having experience. I don’t want to discourage you, but it seemed worthwhile to point out that if you’re having trouble swimming… that’s why!