Why need higher lumens while it can last only a few seconds before stepping down or getting too hot?

Don’t those step down after a few minutes? I was asking because the other replies basically said that a light is not practical if it only sustains turbo for a few minutes. Besides, C8 and M1 aren’t too pocketable for me. The biggest that I’d carry in a pocket is an S2 size light.

Are you sure you are asking this question here in BLF ?

You maybe assassinated :person_facepalming:

Every convoy flashlight stay in high. They has no stepdown. An S2+ with 2,8A driver can near put out 8-900 lumens but it will get hot under 1-2 minutes so you need tu step down manually. In that size you only can run at about 500 lumen max for a long time without overheating. You can’t mess with physics.

If you want a light that has low of “only” 2000 lumens, my FireFoxes 4 HID is the light for you. High at 4000 lumens, Super High at 6000 lumens at 465k lux. Thermal protection kicks in the 3 min. mark down to “only” 4000 lumens.

Glorious tint also. Unfortunately, no longer in production, and no successor so far.

Aren’t you doing an about face?

I disagree. High power flashlights in a bulky package (which enables sustained high lumens) are not a gimmick because I can envision scenarios where this is genuinely required.

My point is I can’t envision a scenario where I need 3000 lumens, but just need it for 5-10 seconds. If I have a scenario that requires very high lumens, I will probably require those high lumens for at least several minutes.

But as I said - I don’t think there is anything wrong with gimmick flashlights. There is a place for fun/cool stuff, especially when you already own many ‘practical’ EDCs. Buy what you like.

I put D1 in a totally different category to D4 because it’s much less power in a slightly larger package. It’s a very practical light with less aggressive thermal step-down.

I’m here for the fun, if I couldn’t build amusing impractical lights I wouldn’t be here at all. Some people might even miss me :laughing:
Usually I only need a small powerful light for 30s or less illumination, more than that, there are always lower modes for light output/ heat equilibrium or more suitable lights for the purpose.

I guess that the race for more lumens in a small package benefits the consumers in the long term.

Let’s go back 5 years ago. What lights in small sizes could put out 300 lumens for more than a few minutes? Whatever they were, I’m sure that there are more and cheaper lights now that can sustain that output. I would guess that that’s the direct result of the lumen race.

Usually not
But many arguments come to mind why it may be wrong

Let’s make this simple, pocketable lights with high output but short duration, useful or not?

I have a totally practical use for short bursts of high lumens. I am a guide for a company that does 4 wheel drive tours of the Southern California desert. If a guest chooses to, they can go into a few small old structures that do not have windows as part of the tour. We have the potential for five different types of venomous rattlesnakes, plus scorpions and a couple of nasty insects to be hiding in the structures. If they want to go in, I have to go in first and make sure nothing is hiding inside. I only use the flashlight for 15-30 seconds at a time. I’m currently using a Convoy S2+ 8x7135 on high and considering upgrading to something brighter. The light stays in a belt holster while I’m on tour so I don’t want anything bigger than that size.

You never mentioned any specific light in your first post. IIRC correctly you talking about not being bored and other stuff important to you like CRI.

But let’s make this simple.

This was the OP’s question on his post.

Why need higher lumens while it can last only a few seconds before stepping down or getting too hot?

What did you say your opinion on this was again?

To me turbo is very practical and gives a small light a lot more functionality to identify something down range.

For instance I was once hunting in the dark and wanted to identify if an animal in the field was male or female. The moon didn’t give enough light, but my triple DQG lit up the whole field for a few seconds. Enough to know what it was.
Nice for hiking too, to see the other side of the valley and look for a nice route. Half a minute is plenty for that.

You always carry you EDC light. I use it on low or mid 90% of the time, but sometimes it is great to identify stuff further away.

You may want to qualify these statement as an opinion. Not as a fact. This statement can only become fact when it applies equally to everyone.

Why? Explain please.

Because envisioning scenarios is the initial stage of preparation.

It’s English for necessary.

One of the definitions of scenario is this.

sce·nar·i·o
səˈnerēˌō/Submit
noun

a postulated sequence or development of events.
“a possible scenario is that he was attacked after opening the front door”
synonyms: sequence of events, course of events, chain of events, series of developments, situation
“every possible scenario must be explored”

I don’t know about you but in planning for an activity, even just camping, a possible situation(scenario) is the basis for planning what equipment to bring.

My turn to ask what you mean

We are in this thread and I am answering your posts in this thread. Your first post in this forum is as irrelevant to this discussion as my first post in this forum.

It is obviously you who doesn’t get it. I have already demonstrated(in my first post in this thread) my need and subsequent use of a high powered light in a small package. The fact that I needed and used a high power light in a small package, in such a “scenario” gives an indication of the falseness of your statement that these light are merely a gimmick.

You argue with anything except what is relevant to the discussion.

So tell me now, what light do you think is good for my “scenario”?

If you did not read my 1st post in this thread, I post this picture again. This is what I need to light up and scan before I turn when I get home at dark. I can tell you that I am not playing at all and the threat of prowlers is very real in the 3rd world.

And this is how it looks with a high powered light. 3-5 minutes of high output is quite enough for me to see if there’s anything to watch for.

Not at all, you were presenting your opinion as fact.

Any indication of danger. The further away you can identify it, the more time you have to avoid it.

Seeing and avoiding danger maybe useless for you. Not for me.

This is with the Q8. High power in bulky package but not ideal to bring all the time. How is this worse?

You seem to need to have the last word even if it doesn’t make sense. Go ahead. I have no such need. About questions, I’m willing to learn from anybody who can make sense. ta ta.

The Astrolux S1 XPL 1600LM 7/4modes is the most versatile EDC type for my need. Moonlight to 16,000 lumen is available.
Another that’s always close, the Klarus XT1C
For outside, the Klarus XT12GT. 3-step/18,000 lumen. Rated at 600m throw. More than enough throw and spill without much fuss.
I have other luminaries designed for a specific purpose, and flashlights for fun.