Why No Pot?

Old enough? I was already too old :slight_smile: I remember Y19.9K Ready and Y19.8K Ready. Before that gets a little blurryā€¦

It could be done easy enough, take a look at a few of the Variable voltage Electronic Cigarettes. The early ones were using thumb wheel pots and used 14500ā€™s and 18650ā€™s.

There is even a pot that you set to the desired watts and put in the bottom of an 18650 tube e-cig.

@ Pulsar, you should hook a LED up to the Lavatube and see what happens.

Off topic, but many E-cig people would go absolutely guano crazy reading the stories about people who use stacked batteries in flashlights. They make a huge deal about using a single battery in an e-cig without having a vent hole.

By the way, for some of you who use iffy stacked batteries or unprotected pulls it wouldnā€™t be a bad idea to drill a small vent hole in your light if you arenā€™t worried about it being 100% water proof. You could even fill the hole with something that would easily pop out if you did have a venting mishap. (just food for thought)

You donā€™t necessarily need to sacrifice waterproofing. A relief is quite easily done by drilling a tiny hole through your tailcap button (just avoid the conductive parts). Leave the boot as it is, so the light will still be waterproof.

If the battery vents, pressure will equalize through to the rubber boot and that will be the first to rip or pop off.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of chemical reactions (particularly those that involve burning) increase exponentially with pressure. If the hole is too small to let the pressure out fast enough, you still get the earth shattering kaboom.

+1, I remember figuring how old I would be when 20th Century Fox had to change their logo. It was way too many toes.

Guys, why are you mocking my cables. I thought this was a friendly forum. :_(

;)

Iā€™m happy to say my car was not Y2K compliant, but somehow the carburetor and manual choke survived the transition
unfortunately i had to re-vulcanize my tires

With gold-plated plugs, you can really hear the difference!!

*cough*rhodium*cough*

love that 10k bump...

apologies for the hijacking.

I like cheap pot :)

Iā€™ve used cheap pot many times. But from now on if I use pot, I think Iā€™m going to use this

I bought a few of these for about a buck apiece for power supply use. For audio I like Alps Blue Velvet's. There are better pots out there, but for the money you pretty much can't beat them

After reading this thread, I will need some kind of pot.Tongue Out

Whyruallspeakingreekgeek?

Uhā€¦

What?

A ā€œpotentiometerā€ is manufactured (if you take one apart ā€” I recommend huge overvoltages (mit schpitzenschparken!!) for that job) almost exactly like its schematic diagram. In effect, it acts (ā€œisā€?) a pair of resistors, one connected from the wiper to ā€œoneā€ end, the other connected from the wiper to the ā€œotherā€ end. As you decrease the R on ā€œoneā€, you INcrease R on the ā€œotherā€. End-to-end R is unaffected by the wiper.

You are correct that a pot is NOT a varistor, and (inverse implied) that a varistor is not a pot. But thatā€™s not what the OP wanted to discuss.

Maybe you were thinking about a rheostat? Except that you ā€œdumb downā€ a pot when you need a rheostatā€¦

Iā€™m assuming you were in a big hurry to get to work or somewhere & left a typo.

Hereā€™s what I think:

At the scale weā€™re using here (handheld torches) thereā€™s no pot big enough for the job AND small enough to fit the bounding box. Use the POT for ā€œR1ā€ (usually) to control the feedback loop. Until someone figures out how to use the ESR of the LED for that, a pot or a rheo is the only way to vary FB after manufacturing.

/Opinion

Back to readingā€¦

Dim

What about $10 000 HDMI cable?
http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-2m-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT2A2M
reviews on it are hilariousā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for sharing that! I needed a good laugh!

ā€œThis product fills a very special niche. That niche is people who want to waste a lot of money but who do not want to buy drugs, eat at fancy restaurants, travel, have no taste for expensive wines, and hate automobiles and boats. If you are one of these people, welcome.ā€

Hmmmā€¦ Sounds like buying that cable is a lot like having kids lol

Jk I love my kids

You basically just re-stated what I was trying to say there.

Maybe the way I tried to convey my message was quite opaque. Basically I was trying to say, "A pot is more than just a varistor..."

Pardon my French.

Lumatic just bought 15 of themā€¦ but he has a narrow urethraā€¦

LOL.

I have read enough of your other posts that I suspected that.

Itā€™s to be expected, what with us speaking such different languages! :bigsmile:

(I mean, what is this ā€œal-u-MINI-umā€ stuff anyway??) :smiley: