Why not EDC adjustable focus?

I assume you’re using budget zoomies with aspheric lenses and not an LED Lenser style optic.

I also assume you’re using at least an XPE and not an XRE with it’s metal frame and glass lens. With modern CREE or Nichia emitters with Silicone domes, the rings are caused by reflections off the inside of the pill, head and bezel. You can reduce these rings by applying black ink with a Sharpie to the appropriate areas.

Depending on your light, it may be possible to completely eliminate them by disassembling it and applying matte black paint in the appropriate areas. However, please note that most paint doesn’t stick well to aluminum.

An SK-58 makes a good every day carry, but it is bigger than the SS-5039 I am carrying now. It is true that zoomies don’t dissipate heat as well and aren’t waterproof when you zoom them, but I think they blind and irritate people around you less and I live in a city.

Since we are in zoomies, I just reversed one of those budget zoomie’s aspheric lens, just flipped it in and left the flat side out and the rounded side in just out of curiosity, hmmm, interesting, same all hot spot but wider, and all flood is even wider as well, full flood wall of light, somehow it lights much bigger area zoomed in or zoomed out, I’ll keep like so for a couple of days see how it feels, should be good for walking I suppose, anyhow a bit less brightness though in general of course, and the nasty ring is still there but smoother.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the inside of an LED Lenser, but I’ll easily concede that the build quality is very nice.

The first two beam comparison shots seem to both be very overexposed such that a <200 lumen beam looks similar to a mediocre camera flash(!). IMO that tends to skew the comparison since the hotspot from the P60 looks blinding. It may still be true that the zoomie had the preferable beam, but it’s hard for me to draw a conclusion from such pictures.

The last two definitely show the POP lite T33 beating the P60, as you have described.

This sort of thing is why “Budget light” started off mostly with people willing to improve crap lights.
As TK and others have noted the site has shifted more and more toward a buying/selling/marketing focus.

But seriously — answering this question brings back the original, er, focus of the forum.

A SK68 for AA-size cells, and a ZeusRay for 18650 (li-ion) or 4/3AF (for NiMH) cells, answers the need — replace the emitter, replace the driver and have a very adequate light to suit what you need.

Buy three or four of each and modify them with different emitters and different drivers and then walk around and see which variation you’ve made suits you the best.

You just can’t buy something as good — for you — as you can turn out yourself.

Very adequate is fine if that is the desired goal, and I appreciate it being said, which now has me thinking I should rename the title more accurately ;) Possibly to: “Why not a ”Superior” EDC Adjustable focus?” I like to think the timing is right with todays technology, but if it turns out that the timing is wrong, or the stars are out of alignment, or whatever for the right minds to jel, then it is what it is. And it would be a let-down. But I am new (that says it all) O:)

By the way, which way is the discussion leaning? I’m thinking,

I’m reading it as optimistic but then that’s me

Are there different degree(?) aspherical lenses available? Probably not but I think that would be one way of gaining lumin output and quality.

I don’t think that there are any top secret zoomie technologies looming behind closed doors. All of the “hopeful” discussion on subjects like adjustable reflectors is purely hypothetical. My advice is to focus on the recommendations for existing items. Several zoomies have been suggested in the thread, some of them superior to one another. Sounds like you don’t have any yet, so your basis for comparison may be becoming more skewed the longer the discussion goes on. As mentioned above, LED Lenser’s products are plenty premium in build-quality.

Pie-in-the-sky thinking. With the amount of money thrown at flashlights here and at CPF and on the non-English forums we’ve reached beyond the low-hanging fruit. Flashlights (like most things) can often be thought of in terms of “3 options pick 2”. We do not always get to have our cake and eat it! For example, output/runtime/size. Pick 2! The same sorts of things generally apply to zoomies. For example, exposed aspheric lenses: wide beam vs drop protection. For drop protection it makes sense to backspace the lens until it only protrudes slightly. For a wide beam it makes sense to backspace the bezel for maximum lens extension. Can’t have both - and that’s tricky for an EDC / “user” light which gets thrown in the pocket, rolls off of tables, etc. (This is clearly different for the TIR based solutions.)

I often EDC a ZuesRay (first batch). It has a dedomed XP-G2 on a Noctigon with the BLF A6 FET+1 driver. I love carrying it around because I don’t care if it gets abused.

I would love the idea of a compact BLF-Edition zoomy. Something with a nice thick solid pill (like the ZeusRay), copper MCPCB, FET+1 driver (with some of Toykeeper’s magic), good build quality, and a nice switch.

Maybe an S2/A6 tub light with multi start threads on the bezel and a 20 mm Ahorton glass aspheric.

Thank you for the suggestion . If I could, I would gladly discuss it with you. :wink:

Anyone?

I thought I would mention it is a good idea for anyone posting to politely keep in mind this thread was generated to spark interest in a new design. I appreciate the variety of lights suggested but more than that I appreciate motivated posts. If someone is feeling like this thread is done, then please move on and allow it to continue for others that are interested in reading or sharing their thoughts and ideas.

You know, the way it was and is designed to be :wink:

I said earlier that I haven’t yet found a zoomie that I liked.

Well, that’s not ENTIRELY true.

I’ve got a Led Lenser P7 that I like the form factor and excellent build quality. It’s got a real nice feel to it. It’s a simple 2-mode (25 lumens - 160 lumens) flashlight. It sits on my desk and I use it almost daily. For the floody tasks that I need performed around my desk, it suits my needs.

However, I never use it as a zoomie. I only use it fully wide-open as a flood. If I need to illuminate anything more than 5 feet away, I grab one of my other flashlights sitting on shelves above the desk.

• RBD almost certainly realizes this but since newer users may not… the Ahorton lenses are actually 27.2mm (quite large vs the typical EDC) …and I think Ahorton had to order a lot of them… and AFAIK optically they are a 1:1 clone of an existing lens that Ahorton happened across, just with a different mounting flange.
  • Neither of those flashlights (S2 / A6) has a threaded bezel - in both cases the head is loaded from the back/bottom.
  • Having a threaded bezel which can travel nearly 10mm to go from flood to throw will take up a lot of space, it won’t be much like the S2/A6 anymore IMO… and I certainly don’t see where it would have space for a 20mm lens!

That’s a good point, I’d better unsub or I’ll just get annoyed. The OP must have been considerably more rhetorical than I realized! I’m definitely the negative-Nancy on the “squeeze water from a stone” sort of thing.

… Innovate away! ;) ;)

Yeah I think everyone else has already covered all the bases, but I’m in agreement. 95% of m edc uses are up close tasks that a zoomie really wouldn’t allow for, and I like to carry my olight s10 in the watch pocket in my jeans. Show me a zoomie that can fit in there and you might be onto something

That’s what I use my Zeusrays for. I don’t want to break them, but I don’t mind them taking a bit of a beating.

I have an early on and a slightly later one (both good). The later one I de-domed. Both will pull 4-5amps on high and have no noticeable PWM. Really great drivers for budget lights.

I also have a latter one, which I think was called a 120EDC. It’s not as bright, has dreadful PWM and crappy next mode memory. The build quality and beam otherwise is very good, but it wants a driver change. The driver also has a super long spring on it, which causes the switch to bulge when loaded with a battery, preventing it tailstanding.

Shame.

I must confess, my de-domed one started flickering. I traced the issue to the switch. I swapped the switch/tailcap for the crappy one and it’s solved it. But I suspect the switch simply isn’t up to the high amps of the early ones, so I assume it’s a problem I’ll face again at some point.

Have been playing with the Uniquefire UF-T20 that came today.
It is fairly small, with a fat glass lens.
Very decent light, building quality is very good.
Some rings
In flood mode nice lighting and zoomed it has a long reach.
For $16.99 I like this one, this is a keeper, just small enough to stick in a jeans pocket.
Found a video (mute audio, it sucks)

“Thank You All” for taking the time to share your knowledge, ideas and suggestions. As a novice with a somewhat overwhelmed state of mind, what I am able to understand is that this thread suggests there is an interest to discuss possible changes to current designs, while also illuminating why some designs or ideas did not or would not achieve the results hoped for.

Something else I am taking from it and from many other forum discussions, is the use of the word “adequate” :blush: I can only speak for myself ( OK, also for my family and close friends that will be receiving BLF inspired EDC’s as gifts) the BLF use of “adequate” spoken in general terms, could more accurately be described by the average Joe flashlight owner as “exceptional”. I know that is how I feel each time a package arrives at my door.

So thanks again Everyone!

PS, Disclaimer: I don’t want to ruffle any feathers but,Other than the elusive stretchable reflector material mentioned :wink: (which by the way, the government will deny it exists for at least another 20 years, chuckle-chuckle) I accept the reality of “no major break-throughs” at this time. A fresh build/mod will do nicely until then.

It actually works very well. This used to be my favorite light before I discovered BLF. Now it’s just my favorite zoomie.

The reflector only moves about a millimeter or two so heat transfer is about the same as any reflector light. I think the key is that flat area at the base of the reflector is slightly conical. Unlike a condenser lens, there’s no loss when focused. It’s no mule but the spread and spill is more than sufficient.

POP lite is one of the brands I am currently excited about, because they combine nice workmanship, TIR zoom optics, smooth curves and moderate prices. They are too old to have anything newer than XR-E LEDs and the drivers are about as bad. They are harder than some to modify, but the results are worth it. The optics like a two zone Fresnel lighthouse gives about the same throw as an aspheric or a reflector light with the same LED and aperture, but the spot is bigger.

Often thought the same thing.

I have a few Saik SA 9 and Citipower 18650 lights which are cheap but work very well.

If they had glass lenses instead of plastic and drove the LEDs harder in one of the Modes for $20 to 30$ with better quality LEDs they could probably throw 500 meters…

Even now they can throw a focused beam 200 yards or light a small room in flood mode.

These have a rotating Zoom not a push pull.

I’d like a glass lens model, more premium Host and better Emìtter and a 2.0 Amp mode with Dereelight type throw…for $35. These were about $8.00 -a great value.
Perfect when power is knocked out by a storm.

These are slightly
larger 18650- one says
“Saik SA9”on the side.
The other says “Citipower”.
They can floodlight the entire engine compartment of a Car- for example and throw a tight beam 200 yards or more.
I think a nicer body with a glass lens and an “Overdrive” Mode or maybe an oversized Aspheric head could equal or beat the Dereelight for throw with the knowledge of emitters some of you have.
Even these cheap lights at about .7 to .9 amps produce a visible “white laser” beam outside at night ( and inside even with some ambient lighting).
The “turn to focus” stays
in place and going slightly beyond the “die projected” image with a slight blurred dot with a Corona.
I don’t really need something that throws 500 yards but it is fun to see that tight beam and the controlled flood is very useful .
A nice body with a glass lens would be cool with Dereelight type throw …but it is all preference.