Why use L91/L92 lithium primaries?

> Why use L91/L92 lithium primaries?

There is no reason for me to use disposable Lithium Primaries.

I use Eneloops, because I like saving $$$

example:
today on ebay I can buy:
4x L92 for $8 = $2 each

I save $2 every time I recharge an Eneloop.

I have a camera that absolutely refuses to play nice with NiMh 1.2v cells for more than 10 shots. Lithium primaries are a reasonable & safer alternative to alkaleaks. Once the camera rejects them, they can be used in other AA lights for a long time.

Lately, I've been running 1.5v Tenavolt rechargeable LiIon cells in it with very good results. Tried them based on info gleaned mostly here on BLF. Too soon to establish time/shots before need to be recharged, but results so far are very promising.

slmjim

Tenavolt should work OK for devices demanding the 1.5v. They don’t work well if there is a constant requirement for > 2.0A, like lots of flash use. They do OK up to 1.5A.
Good battery after almost 2 years of use for me. Going for the long term test.

:person_facepalming:

No, you don’t. No matter “how little,” what do you suppose is the cost in electricity for your recharge? Each, and every time, even? If your going to be priggish, at least be factually priggish.

Charging an AA Eneloop costs, what, one penny? Even long term the cost of the charger probably affects the equation more.

In some situations we don’t have access to a source of electricity to make a charge… so we have no choice but to turn to the primaries.

Energizer Lithium are the best non rechargeable AAA and AA batteries. Great for thermostats. They last for 3 years straight.

I use Eneloops as well, for more mundane things like portable radios, cameras and wall clocks - but for EDC use like my flashlights, I really appreciate the light weight and long life of my Energizer Ultimates. I’ve had too many of my favourite things ruined by alkies to ever use another one. (I do keep a few around in case of ‘borrowers’ - they get a plastic 2AA with alkies that I write off the moment it leaves my hands.)

If you watch for sales and bulk-buy prices, the added expense of the Energizer Ultimates is not that big of a sacrifice. Skip a single restaurant lunch, and you’ll have the price of a couple of years worth of lithium primaries.

I find L91/L92 to work VERY well in glove box lights if you aren’t going with CR123. For me, if I have room for a 4xAA or 6xAA I’ve rather go that route than CR123 just to make gas station replacement easier, if needed.

Keep an eye out for the L92’s on sale.

Please post if you see a good sale of fresh-dated Energizer Lithium cells. Last batchI bought must have been on some wholesaler’s stock shelf for ten years or more, going by the year timestamp on them.

Long shelf life shouldn’t mean “never too stale for retail sale” – ya hear me Amazon?

Hank: Since the (almost) conclusion of the pandemic, the price of these have gone up considerably. The best price I have seen on them are at Sam’s Club. They come out at $1.97 each in 18 packs for each AA and AAA. Ya, you gotta be a member, but as I have said before, ask your friends and neighbors if they are members…or if my memory serves me correctly, last year around Christmas time, they offered a $6.00 membership for a year…who knows, they might have something else for you to purchase.

I keep them around for my blink security cameras (they don’t like NiMH)… Also thought they’d be good for potential power outages, but I’m pretty sure at this point, I only own 2-3 AA flashlights, and at $2+ a piece, it’s cheaper to keep cr123s around