Will one 18650 batt. work when another WOULDN'T work?

Just got a zoomie from China. It looks solid, good threads, tight, good rubber O rings, nice slide for the zoom, good looking LED, etc. But the thing doesn’t work. I’ve tried TWO different types of batts., 4000mAh and 5000mAh, but neither works in it. They DO in other torches. I know, these are the cheap Chinese batts. but they still work in all my lights.
So could it be that a good 18650 batt, like Panasonic or Efest WOULD work? (they are ordered and on their way…3400 mAh)
Or did I just get a piece of junk?

Thanks for any input.

Edit: Don’t see an edit button, so I’ll reply first with another question.

Is it possible that IF I put the batt. in the wrong way, pos or neg, the first time, that it could have shorted the whole thing out?? (it takes TWO 18650’s btw…and yes, I put them both in facing the same direction)

Are your cells button top or flat top?

Two flat top cannot be used in series.

Thanks,
-Chuck

Yeah, they’re button top. It’s their new version of the XML T6 btw…I’ve got an OLD version of the T6 and it works great.

Then if the batteries work in your other lights, I think that your thread is misnamed.

Sounds to me like you have a DOA light.

Sorry,
-Chuck

This test will check if the tailcap is the problem.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/13465

As far as the batteries Panasonics are the very best out there. I avoid cheap Chinese batteries like the plaque. Especially any listing 4000+mah in 18650’s “they don’t exists” and many are salvaged from used packs. As far as the other advice on your light always try to go with protected and button tops. Yes initially putting them in backwards may have killed your light. Look inside the head if you see a plastic ring around the contact then your light may still live. That plastic ring stops flat bottom reversed insert damage.

Failed the paper clip test.
Seems Chuck or Shooter may have the answer.
I always used to think that you connected the neg part of the batt. to the
spring aiming up side…so that’s the way I put it in first. Didn’t work so tried reversing.
Don’t see any plastic thing in the head, so it may be a DN* torch.

Yep, I order Panasonic or Efest now. Thanks for the input on Panasonic. Before I didn’t know about fake batts and just kept the 4000 and 5000mAh they always sent with the light. They’ll work for about 3-4 chargings, then die out.

*Dead Now

Is the body tube reversed? The side with the bare threads should face the led. The side with only the end of the tube being bare must face the tailcap. With most lights, anyway.

No, Mr. Van Gogh, it wouldn’t even screw in reversed, but thanks for the attempt.
Don’t laugh, but here’s the torch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2500LM-5-Modes-T6-LED-XM-L-18650-Flashlight-CREE-Focus-Super-Ultra-Bright-USA-/371360283804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5676cc3c9c
I just charged the 2 batts they sent, and for the first time saw that they were 6000mAh. :smiley:
Chinese company, and they’ve already refunded my money, so they’re good guys and reputable. Guess I just got a dud.

Those lights are not so bad. Obviously, they don’t have 2500 lumens, but I’ve bought some before and they work fine. Maybe you did just get a dud, or maybe you burned out the driver by reversing the batteries. Those make an okay mod host, if you want to try your luck. Buy a buck driver from Mountain Electronics, and maybe a newer XM-L2 on DTP board. The pill is hollow, so you can’t push it too hard, but it will be nice for it to actually work.