[WIP] 10mm DD+single-7135 driver: double sided 10440 torture for Dual-PWM

Have you notice that wight haven’t been here for a while, i hope he haven’t burnt out, this hobby seems to eat up and spit out the best of us all the time :frowning:

Hope he didn’t get hurt in the nasty weather. Many a Joe has taken a fall on ice, or blown out his back shoveling snow. And they’ve had a BUNCH of snow over that way!

Don’t even say that

If you have a hard time getting it fitted with the normal attiny13a-ssu, maybe you could use the smaller attiny13a-mmu instead, Richard made a programing adaptor to flash those easier recently.

What part? i am sorry without any emoticon or something more i don’t know how to read your response.
But again i am sorry, if “Don’t even say that” is an common idiom i don’t know it :~

The reason I noticed was i had a question for him, but if his 9 days leave from this place is somehow stress related, i don’t want to add to that.

It is somewhat idiomatic. Like the reverse of “knock wood”. I’m sure no offense was intended.

Sorry Dale, to clarify; I was implying that the LF PAK 33 is so small it confused ant man who thought it was his back PAK and made off with it. A weak pun and stretched too thin I’m sure but there you have it.

It is small, but the 2502 is smaller, right? And could the 2502 be used here? Looked like it’d fit, didn’t look at it too hard.

I think the pins on the 33 are smaller so it might be harder to get the gate pin soldered on the 2502.

So would this work?

I’m not fixing to do this as I have the LFPAK33’s on the way, but when I got this little fet by mistake it looked like it would work, and it’s what’s running my light now. So I wondered…

Sure looks like it fits but I think the gate pin is on the left so you would have to flip it over but better check me on that.

Gate is on the left, source is on the right. So no, this wouldn’t work at all. Glad I didn’t try it! Thanks for pointing that out. :wink:

Thanks Scott, i think i get it now :slight_smile:

Just stick it on its back and bend the pins down.

It would be nice to have a smaller controller. The last microprocessor I programmed was described as occupying 0.7 mm**2 in technology that is 10 years mature now. That didn’t include any interfacing or anything other than the logic, but it seems there should be smaller controllers that would serve our relatively simple purposes.

I agree, the simple functionality we are asking, should be able to fit in a a much smaller package.

But we have the problem also that in flashlight applications we want to be able to control it within ~2.3-4.3v & if they would use much lower more modern patterning process it wouldn’t be able to function without some form of DC-DC converter, making the already cramped driver boards need much more components.

All that makes sense, but have you looked at the field these are aimed at? DigiKey shows how many are in stock, as does Mouser…do you think they’re stocking 14,000 units for flashaholics?

We’re using componetry aimed at a different market. Probably not much money in designing new stuff for us.

No lol :smiley: i imagine that it is just a coincidence that the attiny series of mcu’s are perfect for flashlights. Or it could also be that the Atmel made them to be powered by the normal lithium power source range.

I hope we find a smaller mcu that will work even better with more features one day, but that is for the more EE inclined among us to decide.

What about pic? Do they not have enough memory? I had the impression that this was almost an inertia thing and that for most of our needs a 17mm board is plenty. It’s only the small fraction of drivers that need a smaller mcu. I bet that if it were done we’d find plenty of new ways to use it. (If you build it they will come).

I haven’t read any in dept discussions on the pic mcu, only some very short references to it by CK & others, so i have really no idea how or what is different, only the most important fact that most firmwares here are for the attiny13a mcu & that it looks smaller.

But one reason i think i got, to use something like the pic is to be able to fit the extra component needed on a 17mm driver to make something like the LD-1, and because led4power isn’t selling them anymore, and haven’t said anything about further developing the concept.
I would love the idea that a true constant current open design would be available to build, just imagine something like the LD-1 with maybe the Toshiba MOSFET for possibly a triple capability & even more amp’s :bigsmile:

You'll just have to wait a little bit ,I hope I'll send one small package to djozz next week.