Worth buying old lights?

Geesh! Wish I could mod lights at work! They'd probably think it odd if I setup a soldering station on my desk. I already got some strange looks from the gal beside me when I got down on the floor to shine my ZY-T08 into the case fan on my computer looking for PWM.

-Garry

Lol i bet you did!

Well I use flashlights, meters and the soldering iron at normally. So no one really notices that im doing the project during hours. Built the pills for my two hollow light i have at work also. The boss even stoped by when we putting copper and sold to fill to hole and didnt say anything. Lol just watched and moved on.

Just got a new boss yesterday the old ones last day was tuesday he was laid off. Now the new one is in Minnesota. Lol

One guy rebuild most of his standard transmission (for his 1.9l turbo 82 corrola that makes about 535hp) in the shop and the boss never said anything

http://h3g.ebay.co.uk/Member/F/ViewItem.aspx?aid=330798124708&emvAD=369x546&emvcc=0&nbcol=0|null

I’d been meaning to post a few of these, but most of the auctions have ended.

I was watching a collection of five or so English vintage torches, they sold for £17 in the end which is a bit sickening, but with Christmas on the way, I can’t buy more project’s.

I was thinking a few of these would be nice with led conversions, nichea 219, some xm-l etc ala jayrob. How about that for old lights worth buying? :bigsmile:

Well i was able to install the 10mm nichia219 in the F20. This is my first time to use this led. It has very nice color! I see what every one means when they talk about it.

Had both modded f20’s outside last night. Both using the factory drivers and both running 14500 flames. The xpg2 4C is brighter and actually puts out quite a bit if light. It lights up a house that is around 100 yards away very well. Now for the nichia, it is no slouch but just doesnt project light very far. Up close it is very nice.

Comparing them side by side it seems the xpg2 4C has a little more yellow in the beam but it has nice color rendition also. Me personally I like the xpg2 better only because of the amount of light it puts out. It puts out as much light on medium as the nichia puts out on high and definitely puts more light out down the field.

I am officially obsessed with the xpg2! I have only used them with an OP reflector so dont know how it will look with a smooth. If you dont own one get one!

Posted on iPhone

what about XR-E R2?

I still have a couple of those, and just tonight found the old XR-E would give enough light for what I need my L2M for.

I buy GOOD lights, new or old is not my concern :slight_smile:

I have a lot of old lights.

As in Luxeon I or III.

Are they good lights by today’s standards?

Some of them.

Most aren’t.

And aren’t worth the effort to mod them.

If anyone thinks different they can have a sack of old lights for the cost of p&p.

My time is worth more than that.

The good ones are still good - just not as bright or tint controlled as we expect nowadays.

The crap ones are worse nowadays.

I still have the chrome Eveready Captain that my father used camping in 1962. It still works great, and has that momentary switch that I haven’t seen yet in anything modern.

For function, it wouldn’t be used anymore, but it’s still a good example of top-notch QC.

Don, you wouldn’t have one of these by any chance would you?

Sorry, no. I didn’t own many AA lights till well after the XR-E LEDs.

It is still my favourite AA light. It has kinda odd sized driver and LED, but maybe I can adapt something. I notice some decent looking single AA drivers coming on the market again, There has been none for ages. I guess I should start a thread and ask you good folk for advice on rebuilding it.

is it worth buying some old lights ?

yes ! try a TK20 for example, you won’t be disapointed by an oldie !
don’t pay attention to lumens for this fenix : throw, tint and built quality are still first class.

+1 on Tk20.

I would still buy an XR-E light if it is a strong and reliable light, has a good and efficient driver and a good UI.

I tried my ITP E50 yesterday. It has an XRE emitter, an OP reflector a smooth yet throwy beam. Although it is a 17670 type light it is abviously nowhere as bright as todays hard driven 400lm XPGs. Though, its throwy beam was so nice and pure white that I saw I could do with these low lumens very well.

Some quality XPG lights can go way below than their XML siblings in price. I think buying old but quality stuff can still give some pleasure. You still can change the emitter if you get too bored, and even better with a special tinted High CRI led of your choice.