Would You Feel Safe Using This Headlamp On Top Of Your Head

I have basically two of the same lights, except they dont have coiled wire and have different battery compartment.

I agree with you, they throw REALLY well for the money, I got mine for 6.5$ shipped each, so if anyone wants some cheap headlamp to experiment and see how well it throws, there is nothing to lose! Well, it has ringy beam with circles and artifacts, but thats to be expected for the price on this kind of lamp desing, right ;)?

I modded one of mine with 3xAA battery carries to boost the battery life.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/high-power-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Headlamp-Head-Torch-Lamp-light-1200-lumen-AC-Charger-/280854191080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416436dbe8

Make her an offerof $25. She will take it.

I have dealt with this seller before. Awesome is an understatement.

And I know for sure the batteries sit side by side from each other. They won't fit in series in that small of compartment. It's just like the triple AAA ones I have.

And I'm not buying it to be comfortable. I'm buying it for the best possible throw and brightness in a wearable headlamp for the money they make.

What about these light?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/new-6531-cree-q5-310-lumen-3-mode-white-led-headlamp-gray-white-1-x-18650-121308

Of course I will mod it to XM-L driven with 1.4-1.5A

That should be a good one too.

But for about $12 more you can get the one I posted above that should smoke it.

Sure they sit side by side, but are they connected in parallel. 99% of the 3xAAA lights are connected in series.

Ok then I may be wrong.

I'm going to use it none the less.

I was a little leery strapping one 18650 to my head, but I went fully through my light and it's wiring, I use a high quality Panasonic battery and I trust my charging skills and my Fluke 179 that measures the voltage every time the battery comes off the charger.

Be extra vigilant with your batteries use something safe like a Bestinone IMR 18650 and don't get to comfortable with that M-80 strapped to your head because that's when accidents happen.

That is my favorite budget headlamp, I converted mine to an XML a couple months ago.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-q5-230lm-3-mode-white-led-headlamp-1-x...

The emitter swap a 5 minute job I put it on DX also. This one is a little bright for indoor work 250 lumen on low but I still use it when I have a job I know will take at least 4 hours and it blazes out 550 lumens on high 1.5 amps so you can use it as a bike light.

I glued the emitter to the pill with Fujik and put thermal grease on the threads and screwed it together. The reflector is aluminum and is quite heavy it acts as the heat sink for the emitter and works quite well. An XML driven at 1.5 amps has plenty of thermal mass with this setup.

This bad boy is bright, bright, bright you can ride your bike with this alone and have plenty of light for a long time and a super blinding strobe if you need it.

I like the look of this light...look forward to hearing some opinions on it..

also I am never afraid of lithiums going off on my head or in my pocket..with all the crazies on the roads and all the other dangers out there lithium batteries blowing up are the least of my concerns..I guess my tune will change if one ever pops on me, but as of now I am not concerned..

I don't really understand why you'd want throw from a headlamp. Maybe using it as a helmet mounted light for cycling, but nor for any other realistic scenario. I see flood way more important from a headlamp. If you want throw, pull out a regular flashlight that's a thrower.

This was the exact scenario I saw testing lights at work underground. The headlamps the guys were using (even two designated as mining cap lamps) had way too narrow of a beam. They had to constantly turn their heads to aim at specific locations. A floody headlamp and throwy flashlight in a holster would have suited them much better.

-Garry</>

More flood was the main reason I started switching all my XRE headlamps to XML they have so much more flood now plus as an added benefit they are way brighter also.

I had the flood to throw headlamp sent to me by mistake and I used it once and sold it. I can't see what use a pencil thin beam on your head would provide.

I think you mean "a skinny throwy beam", right? i can think of 50 uses for throw in a headlamp, but i wouldn't want a skinny beam, like you said.

2-18650's 2-1/2 inches from my eyes=DANGEROUS.(imho)

It's actually back of the head, hope that comforts you. :)

But really. The battery holder is a) plastic and b) not air tight => it won't explode, even if the cells would vent.

Of course you need to be careful and check the voltage etc, but at least I'm more afraid when using 3x26650 in an air tight aluminum tube.

Thanks for that info. I had no idea the battery pak was in the back. I understand what you mean about the batteries not being sealed in an air tight

enclosure but l think I would still be a bit nervous using this headlight

I can now confirm that they are connected in parallel and the headlamp works well also with only one cell.

It has a smooth reflector (I would prefer OP) and seems to have a quite tight hotspot. The spill is most probably usable.

Construction feels otherwise ok, but heatsinking might become an issue since there is no pill. The star is connected to a hollow base with about ~2mm wide lip, leaving the middle section of star without any contact.

The lamp is driven low, 1.0A on high and 0.22A on low. This is good for preventing the thermal issues and elongating the runtime. Estimated runtime is about 5h on high and about 24h on low (Way to go!!)

Thanks for the update. Too bad the pill is hollow. Any chance it can be modified easily for better heatsinking? Sounds like it needs a medium level too. I would prefer it be more of a flooder than a thrower.

Any chance for some photos including a beamshot?

-Garry

One amp at High, nice!

Should be very OK considering thermal issues and tons of runtime.

Lumens will be probably in the 250-300 range. This looks like a good replacement for DX´s POP-Lite since DX starts to suck anyway...

2 Xtar 18700´s to go with it and I think it is still reasonably priced with charger.