[WTB] Led Lenser P3 AFS/P (already got it)

BTW I’ve been working on a flat renovation. Gypsum corrections recently. I’ll no longer accept the arguments that shining a light at white wall is not an accurate representation of how does a light work in real use.

Dismayed by indoor performance of this light, especially by terrible beam quality I pretty much let it lay unused.
I expected it to fare better outdoor but I lacked motivation to try it - and I’ve had few occasions to test it outdoor anyway.
I tried it this weekend, comparing against a couple of cheap AA zoomies.

It blew them away. Flood was ringy but it didn’t hurt outdoor. Intermediate beam, so terrible indoor was not good - but it was fair enough. Throw was much better with similar intensity and much wider beam. This made it overall much more useful.

So I started thinking….how do I improve flood to make this light OK indoor as well?
After disassembly I see that it has a SMD LED and no pillar. Before I thought that the MCPCB was very small and it actually formed a pillar but that’s not the case - only the LED package enters the lens cavity.

Putting a flat LED on a pillar (similar to this one but much shorter) would probably help a lot….
but I’m not motivated enough to try this uneasy mod. I’m also far from convinced my skills are enough to pull this off.

Where was my mind? With just a pole added it wouldn’t focus well. It needs increased travel as well.
Some of this could be done by thinning the MCPCB down…but that’s not enough. Need to disassemble it again to take a closer look…