WTT - FW3D (damascus)

Come on man, we can find a mm to reduce somewhere! :smiley:

I’m almost certain the springs compress more than 1mm. So trimming the threads down should be fine. Unfortunately, you’ll have to trim down the inner tube as well, which will need some additional support fixturing machined since it’s such a thin wall. This would be my first choice.

https://www.bike24.de/i/p/0/4/78440_02_d.jpg

iondised aluminum spacer ring! would look pretty nice , add a little bit of colour to it, even though it looks nice allready

Lol, that’s sounds like a common problem to everyone :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

I realise others have mentioned same/similar things but your word ‘accent’ triggered something for me. I would love to make the ring out of something black to match the pocket clip and do the same for the end cap. I won’t do the end cap in black but i’m still thinking about the ring. The next pic is just a mock up ( I coloured the end cap with permanent marker ).

Yes I probably could trim the inner tube without any real problems but I’m trying to avoid that. I don’t know exactly why but I tend to shy away from modifying stock parts.

That’s a bright green! Very cool but I feel it would detract from the Damascus pattern. Plus it would need to be a rather specific diameter.

So currently I’ve filled the gap with a little titanium ring and moved onto making the bezel and end cap. Little bit of extra effort for Damascus - machine it > etch it for a few cycles > mount it to sand the etch > remount it for machining threads. Still need to do the ID and threads…

:open_mouth: Looking great! Wouldn’t a copper ring feel better with that damascus pattern bezel? Instead of a black one, I mean!

Great looking :wink:

Flame the Titanium ring to whatever color you choose, from a dull gold to blues and purples, bright gold to a light green… (green is difficult to achieve)

Flaming the ti is a cool idea.

TBH though I just think ‘colour’ will not fit well with the rest of the colour scheme. Others might think differently. I’m not opposed to contrast but i’d rather it be black or silver to match existing colours. Below is a quick example. One in black that matches the clip and one in …well … brown (couldn’t do copper on short notice).

Maybe I’m old fashioned or have an unadventurous view on colours :stuck_out_tongue:

Black ring? How hard is Delrin rod to drill out? US Amazon has 1”x12” for ~$13. White HDPE is the same price; black Nylon is $18. If you know someone with a 3D printer, they could use PEG or ABS.

I hear ya and partially agree…. a deep blue or purple may look good, easy enough to try and if it sucks a polish will remove it and you’re back to raw titanium. :wink:

The Ti blends in well as it is, probably one of those best-left-alone scenario’s. lol

So I finished the bezel and end cap. After looking at it from various angles I’ve decided to revert back to the polished clip and will leave the ti ring as is. The ti ring blends in well as you say DBC. It still reminds me of my stuff up but doesn’t look so bad in the end. The occasional machine mark is still visible but i’m done with it, beer-O-clock :beer:

So my offer for trade still stands. Anyone who has an FW3A with Lexel aux light board and reflashed driver (for high/low aux) please let me know. This light is from the original batch with no retaining ring in the tail, warm white nichia (iirc).

I prefer to look at the Ti ring as a placeholder for a clip flip. :wink:

You could think of it that way but I’m pretty sure the ID on the clip needs to be opened a little to fit over the front.

Wow, that turned out pretty nice! Congrats Pinkpanda!

Thanks ChibiM :beer:

Wow. Missed this one. What a sweet looking light. Be around for a coffee to check it out shortly. :beer:

Thanks Moose. Macchiato…?

Beautiful light. I’ve got a high/low modded aux FW3A but I’m in the USA. PM if interested!

Have you installed my Aux board?

Is this still for trade?

Gorgeous light, PP. That damascus… :heart_eyes: