Wurkkos TS22 high parasitic drain, and overcharging

I did some measurements, and the only option for this light is to have the button turn off completely, as then it's 130-130µA. Thankfully you can do it (5C from OFF, to cycle: on, blink, off).

And did some math
I measured 1960µA jumping up every 2 seconds.

Ewen if we assume the 0.002A (2000µA) parasitic current, than it's 0.0084Wh at 4.2V. The 5000mAh 21700 have 18.5Wh.
18.5 / 0.0084 / 24 = 91 days of work.

So it's like 3 month, to drain it completely, from fully charged.

And under 2 month when the button led is always on.

Did I make any mistake with my math somware?

Look on the bright side — with that much parasitic drain — your cell won’t stay above 4.20 for long — Loosen the Tail cap

you are right… I made the math error… not you

In the GAW thread, two different driver markings have been noted — 20220531 and 20220806 — and speculation as to if they’re different.

For the sake of completeness, and aid in discovery, which driver, and which emitter does the unit in question have?

And did it come in the old or new packaging?

Bugs, and stealth revisions are nothing new to this game, but it’s harder to play when not every piece is put on the table.

it's a gift to a non flashlight person, I don't want to force him to loosen the tailcap, will just disable the button led, and told him not to enable it.

I ordered directly on wurkkos site, the TS22 set with 21700 battery in 5000K

it's "TS22-A-B1 20220804"

It came with the white magnetic box. (not the cheap cardboard one)
I think the driver version will be the B1 right? the 20220804 is probably the date of production (or date of FW)

Does the TS22 have Anduril? or does it use a simple UI with the horrible auto lockout feature? The auto lock draws high current every few seconds until it locks, afterwards it’s very low.

Ok. So if this behavior is a bug, then it does affect the newer, or current production runs. There were questions about ATR failures in the early batch. No conclusions to draw, but at least a more complete picture is being assembled. [quote=Funtastic] Does the TS22 have Anduril? or does it use a simple UI with the horrible auto lockout feature? The auto lock draws high current every few seconds until it locks, afterwards it's very low. [/quote] No, it's not Anduril but does have the auto lockout feature, which is disabled when either of the illuminated button beacon modes is enabled. But a good point is raised for the OP -- were the measurements taken after the auto lock engaged (timer >3 min), or when the light was still "awake?"

It would be a disappointment if this is a redux of the similar behavior that affected the TS21.

Always something with these cheap lights, and lessons not learned.

Yeah 4.215v is not a problem whatsoever.
My Nitecore i4 charges to 4.25v

It's a simple UI
But the auto lock is enabled only when the button is OFF.
If the button is ON, or blinking, the the auto lock function is disabled (so it's the opposite, it's not drawing any current)

ATR works on my, a little slow for comfort on turbo (you can't touch the button area ), but it does work.

I will retest it.

And I did retest it, and it's strange... (remember the auto lock is enabled only when the button is OFF. )

button ON: it will just stay 3640µA even after 3 min (but when you lock it actively by 4C it will go down to 2000-1960µA with button backlit OFF, and stay there, no jumping every couple second)
So even if you lock it, and button backlit is OFF, the driver seems to be awake, and drawing 2000-1960µA (that will drain the light full 21700 5000mAh in around 3 months)! even after 3 min it's still drawing 2000-1960µA

button blinki: it will just stay 2000-1960µA jumping to 2800µA, or 3600µA every second blink even after 3 min (but when you lock it actively by 4C it will go down to 2000-1960µA with button backlit OFF, and stay there, no jumping every couple second)
So even if you lock it, and button backlit is OFF, the driver seems to be awake, and drawing 2000-1960µA (that will drain the light full 21700 5000mAh in around 3 months)! ) even after 3 min it's still drawing 2000-1960µA

button OFF: it will just stay 130-110µA when off, jumping to 1960µA briefly every 5 seconds or so, (probably to check the battery), but after 3 min the jumping cease to happen, and it's just t stay 130-110µA all the time.
when you lock it actively by 4C it will stay 130-110µA with button backlit OFF, and no jumping every couple second.

So is it the auto lock function that is jumping the parasitic drain every couple of seconds? why would it do that, I thought it just woke up the driver, to check the battery voltage. And in button blinking mode, auto lock is disable, but the parasitic drain jumps are still present every second blink (well I assume it just because, every second blink, have different parasitic drain value 2800µA or 3600µA, it could be that one blink is dimmer, and I just don't see it).
And the button ON / button blinking, when actively locked by 4C, seems to be bugged.

1 Thank

I’ve read through all of this, but still not sure I fully understand. I have just ordered a TS22 70.3 (not here yet).

1. If I disable auto lockout and disable power by twisting the tail, will there be any power drain?
  2. If I disable auto lockout does the battery voltage indicator still work when the light is being used?

If you physically break the electrical connection, it’s not possible for the driver to draw power from battery, so no power drain

From what I remember when I did test it, then YES it still works just fine. It’s even in the first post.

I had it on blinking when testing

1 Thank

How many times do we have to go through this. Electronic switches come at a huge cost.

If you want to get all the benefits of the lithium battery use a mechanical switch.

We tend to think that all new technology is good technology. This unfortunately is not the case.

Electronic switches and Andruil and all that nonsense will leave you with a light you cant use when you need it. This may cost you your life.

Remember a flashlight is a tool. Same like a hammer, same like a vice grip.

You want it to be dependable and reliable and any technology that compromises that should be disregarded.

2 Thanks

There is parasitic drain and there is excessive drain. Some lights will last years before thy deplete the battery.

YES!!!

:face_with_monocle:

Back to :fire: on a stick you go. No wait, that’s bad in the rain.

I really dislike this bs too. I also wish there were options for each model to not have on board charging.

So it is. I guess it is so with all the big diesel powered tucks and equipment that maintain our internet connections.

That’s is not the point, the point is there is a bug in the driver. On the auto lockout it has reasonable parasitic drain 130-110µA, on the other two modes, the parasitic drain is excessive 3600-2000µA.

When I measured 4mA parasitic drain on my jetbeam rrt01, they sent me new driver, no question asked (I did provide the photos)
When I measured 4mA parasitic drain on my mateminco mt35 mini-s, they refunded me the whole cost.

But here it’s just a bug, the driver is OK, it’s possible for it to behave normally with resonance parasitic drain, but you are forced to use the auto lockout mode. Can’t really open dispute with them about it. But maybe I should do it, I message terry about this months ago, for them to fix it, but it’s still not fixed, even in new versions…

1 Thank

for me it is the point. More complexity is more to go wrong; this problem would not exist with a mechanical switch. It’s also been discussed here how the power bank / charging module can be problematic too, and that’s without mentioning the obvious water ingress weakness. I’m happy that there are many people who love these increasingly complex lights, I just wish there were a few lights that prioritised simplicity and reliability / ruggedness more for the rest of us. I wish the sofirn c8g came with more led options - that would be ideal because of its great switch combo, no onboard charging.