X-ML de-doming method with 100% success?

Classy move, ILF.

Hi all,

I’ve been visiting this site for quite a while now and turned member just recently.
Lots to see and read here. :nerd_face:
Noticed that your favourite de-doming method seems to be using a sharp and thin blade…

Very good result have also been achieved by soaking the Led in gasoline for 24 hrs.
I learned this from the German Flashy site, Taschenlampenforum.de.
I have done this twice now, once on a Small Sun ZY-T03 and once on my Trustfire X9 (both XM-L).

After soaking, the Led simply fell of. No further actions required.
The light has changed from a rather cool to a neutral to slightly warm white and the spot is much smaller.
In fact, my X9 (2.8A) now easily out-throws my Catapult VII XML. :bigsmile:

Easy peasy, soak and let gravity do the rest.

Gr
Nico

Welcome to BLF! I wonder whether denatured alcohol would do the same thing.

I've tried lacquer thinner - didn't work so well. It works, but the dome becomes too brittle and required micro-surgery-precision silicone nitpicking. I don't recommend this method.

Will try petrol, sounds easy, and it's readily available. Thanks Nicolaas, and welcome to BLF!

Thanks!

The Germans have also tried nail polish remover and a special silicone remover.
Both methods worked, although using nail polish remover resulted in the Led dome crumbling, leaving
some tiny, hard pieces behind.
Trying to remove these with, for instance, a swab can result in damaging the electric wires……
The soaking method is now the most popular method with the German flashys: the more refined the gasoline,
the faster it is.

Gr
Nico

The plastic insulator of some wires tends to swell up after a prolonged gasoline bath…….leaving it to dry out for a day or so solves that issue just as easily, so don’t worry, just do it! :wink:

Gr
Nico

See, the Germans knew! To think kreisler and nightcrawl never told us about this... I'm beginning to question their loyalty.

Actually I (kinda) did:

I tried acetone and gasoline and acetone works better.. about 30minutes.

kreisler didnt know about that, he doesnt post in TLF because he prefers to troll on an international level.

hi all… i had a dead ultrafire wf-502b… i figure out why not practice with that since it’s busted anyway
i used a small plier and it works just fine… now my question is… did i pulled more than i what i should?

what is those yellow stuff that comes out with the dome?

… now i’m waiting untill someone know what it is… before i pull from the good one :bigsmile:

The yellow stuff is the phosphorous, it makes the light white rather than blue. If that LED was still working it would be a very blue LED.

unfortunately that was a fried driver … so i had no idea if it works or not… so you’re saying i should cut the dome instead pulling it with needle nose plier?

Drop the LED in acetone or gasoline, it will dissolve the silicone and the dome will just fall off. Shaving is also an option, but it requires work and time.

Tried the second time today with sharp edge and heating.

Interestingly, this time the tint did not shift very much towards neutral.
Hopspot got pretty small! :slight_smile:
Yellowish tint seems to bee around the corona, showing up as rings in the beam (reflector is SMO but not the smoothest, P60 size).

I question the longevity of a de-domed LED.

This really makes a difference. My X6 is really throwing it out there! I was a bit apprehensive, didn’t wanna ruin my light. But just took my time and the dome came right off there! FYI… Your wife’s eyebrow tweezers are PERFECT for this procedure!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

So I dedomed a XML u3 this afternoon.
I’ve done it with heating it up with a soldering iron(450°c) and peeled it with a cutter and fingernail. First I ripped only the half off, than heated up again and peeled from side.
And I can confirm the tint is now warm white or yellow, before it was like the most U3 neutral-blue white.
Now I have a perfect sk68, XML U3 dedomed and the BLF mini driver. Nice and bright.

I read most of the 10 pages but when u guys polish the led do u use anything on the mini buffing wheel ?

Hi,

I seem to be posting on older threads lately… sorry :(…

So, I’m thinking I want to try to dedome an XM-L U3, but don’t really want to go out and get a gas can and gas just for this, so I’m looking around, to see what else might work. What I have in-house are:

- Gasoline mixed with 2-cycle oil (like for a mower)

• Nail polish remover (CVS brand - says “100% acetone”)

Will either or both of those work?

Also, right now, the one I’m thinking of is in an A60 pill, so should I remove/unsolder the star+emitter before trying this?

Thanks!

Jim

My K40’s MPCB is now marinated in gasoline. I wonder how farther my K40 will throw with the dedomed LED. I just can’t wait for the results. :slight_smile:

Anyone ever dedome a Convoy s3? I have an extra s3 sitting around I would like to dedome if it’s worth it.