Xeno Tiger E03: V2 R5 or V3 XM-L?

Even clips get better by adding more clips... ;-)

@Kreisler: Since you already own both... how is the P1A compared to the Xeno? Brightness on high etc...

da*n. you win. for tonight. :crown:

have to brush my teeth and hit the sack.

i think i own as many clips plus 3 4sevens clips.

the xeno is great because of its 21.5mm diameter. its the fenix standard.

the p1a is still in transit :slight_smile:

sorry for misunderstading, my fault :)

Mine too... I hate waiting... on the other hand it tames my compulsive buying disorder...

love my e03 xml light. its ability to throw a wall of light at short ranges using AA and even more with 14500 really made me buy this light. i now use it primarily with its diffuser as a area light. the larger sc600 has taken over its job as my short range flooder.

why I would like the Xeno?
Because I like the straightforwardness of its style, not too many grooves, etc.
Unlike the Balder SE1.. where the middle part of the body is smaller in diameter than the front and back.

Square threads. I have been using my C8, maglite,Sipik, Mdxl, etc.. and I want something different. Maybe some better quality.

Why I dont want a 18650 light?
Because this is gonna go in my bag for work.
It needs to fit in a small pocket, and needs to run on AA batteries, which are available everywhere.
So I thought if it will be a 14500 light, I will kill 2 flies in 1 hit

Im in Japan, and we have earthquakes now and then. And having only a itp A3 on my keychain is nice, but not enough for a powerout, away from home.
I just like to have the option of something extra.

2=1 and 1 is none

If i had to pick the severest flaw (and nobody should overlook it!) of it, then it's not the missing clip (Fenix LD20), the missing anti-roll (wrist strap), the el cheapo switch (bfl lol), the price (ever paid 30 bucks for a 1x AA light? you crazy??), the over-heating (it doesnt, if you have cold hands hahah), the mode sequence (starting on Med is fine. but the Med is still too high. the runtime on Med is booyah), or the questionable quality of the current regulation (it's regulated but i would rate its quality with a "B-" highschool grade; which is still good!).

But it is the mode spacing which leads to short runtimes. The high is nicely bright, even on Eneloops, and runtimes are short as expected. But since Low is still unnessarily bright (and close to High, on 14500's), the runtimes are again short. Under 60mins. on 14500's. This is unacceptable in RL usage.

And what about Ultralow? By today's standard this looks like a typical torch's Medium. Or maybe not? Or maybe yes? Confusing. haha. So on Ultralow you get that confusing light ;)

I didnt pay 30bucks to get myself confused! :D

Having said all the above .. i really like my Xeno now *after* having installed the 2 green o-rings as shown :) :) ( i also like the green dinos from DD hehe )

@linterno: The problem is that I have no better recommendation at the moment in the sub $35 category. Chances are if you are new to the world of Cree lights, that you are perfectly happy with the Xeno. I think Kreisler, Chidwack and myself just expected more. Maybe wait for the first Klarus P1A reviews to arrive.

yeah, maybe someone on BFL can open a P1A review thread (not me! i am too busy with school and homework), post some beautiful pictures with measurements. we would all contribute to the thread by adding our personal blah's and sharing views.

i think Speedsix had 1 such thread. Now we need a full review thread. To make us P1A orderers feel good :bigsmile:

I you are looking for Single AA form under $30, here's a few to consider. Sorry if already mentioned above, I just happen to have it all laid out in a spreadsheet:

Tank007 TK-566 $12.50 AA/14500
Xtar WK25B $15.78 AA
Xtar WK26 $19.99 14500
World's Smallest AA $23.95 AA/14500
ITP Eos A2 Stainless Steel $24.00 AA
Olight i2 EOS $24.95 AA
N-Light B1 Stainless Steel $26.50 AA/14500
Torpedo $26.73 AA/14500
Balder SE-1 T6 $29.94 AA/14500

That's not my complete list, just those under $30. The Xeno is on my list, but I wouldn't purchase it due to all the regulation/mode/quality issues referred to by kreisler and others. I'm really diggin' the looks of the Torpedo. The Tank is definitely the budget buy of the bunch.

Most of the lights have 1 or more drawbacks imho. I'm a simple man I just want 3 modes, XP-G or XM-L with neutral and warm option, no strobes, current-regulated, high output on NiMH, deep-carry pocket clip, aluminum body, decent knurling, stainless steel protection rings at front and end, square threads for under 35 bucks. I'd be more than happy if I would loose 14500 support for better regulation and efficiency on NiMHs. So essentially a Xeno with a Zebralight driver bundled with the Fenix clip... or give me a source for the ZL driver and I build it myself.

I still can't believe that ZL managed to build a driver that's brighter than the Xeno and twice it's runtime. We are talking 50% effiency for the Xeno (black) compared with ZL (Hi 2, light purple)...

© Selfbuilt from CPF

I already own more than 20 18650 and 16340 flashlights. Now I want to increase my 1xAA and 2xAA arsenal. Currently I own few 2xAA: Fenix L2D P4, Fenix L2D Q5 premium, Ultrafire C3 and Romisen RC-N3 and some 1xAA including 5 Romisen RC-G2 and a Fenix L1D. A Klarus P2A is already ordered from DinoDirect and wanted a Xeno E03 because of good comments and I have to admit I like the red one a lot.

It's a matter of taste, Mi favorite light is a Solarforce L2P with a Kaidomain XP-G R5 drop-in I modded with a Mid-Low-High driver which has no memory. It always stars in middle which is closed to 140 lumens, then go to low which is close to 40 lumens and then high which is close to 300-320 lumens. In fact this is my EDC.

In fact I am not new to CREE lights I own several with CREE LEDs containing P2, P4, Q3, Q5, R2, MC-E, R5, single XM-L and triple XM-L (Skyray 3 x T6). I just liked Xeno E03 red one and wanted one.

I have almost the same doubt. I want to buy a NW Xeno but seems that there are many drawbacks.

The problem is Xeno seems to be the only light to have ALL this characteristics:

- compact
- with linear design
- mounting an XML (even NW)
- Using both AA and 14500
- Tail standing
- Good build quality

Balder SE-1 was my alternative but it miss linear design and tail standing...

Klarus P1A is good but no XML and no 14500...

As usual the flashlight you want is always the one that doesn't exist

yes, 14500 works 100% safe in P1A, believe me trust me.

The P1A is very throwy... one of the throwiest 1AA I own... I think you are specifically searching for something floody. At least in budget land... the E03 might be your best bet.