XHP70 dedoming

I recently build a flashlight, using a single xhp70. I was wondering, what the effect of dedoming would be on the emitter.
Sure, a little less lumen output and a little more throw, but how would the beam look? And how much more throw would I get out of it?
Does anybody have experience with dedoming the xhp70?
Also beamshots before and after would be great

You may be interested in this post by JasonWW who compared a domed and “sliced” (not a true dedome but about as good as it gets on XHP70) emitter in a Convoy L6.

The benefits are: Beam is somewhat improved. Throw is somewhat improved. Lumens are lost. JasonWW’s numbers there are “ceiling bounce” numbers, meaning they’re useful for the direct comparison but we don’t have any way to know what the actual lumen/lux numbers are. This would indicate a 14% to 18% lumen drop from slicing.

From post #8 in the same thread I linked above:

This would show a 24% increase in throw.

LEFT…. BLF GT70.2 Stock (dome on) and my modded BLF GT clean de-domed 70.2

Here are my beam shot’s the rest you can search out… :wink: I don’t remember all the details anymore… :smiley:

Here is the first gen XHP 70 not dedomed. Notice the donut hole and loose beam.

Here is the second gen XHP 70.2 dedomed. Notice the donut hole is gone and it is a better centered and concentrated beam.

How do you guys dedome the xhp 70?
I only sliced a xpl once but the xhp 70 is huge , dont know if it works the same

I used this as a guide. :wink: .

XHP 70

XHP 70 SLICE only. NOTE: I did not cut at this angle, more flat and use gentle sawing strokes.
Also a light coat of oil on the blade.
Do not push hard, or you may loosen the dome.
Use a few thin washers for several slices.
I was afraid to DICE the XHP 70.

XHP 70 SLICE only.

XHP 70 SLICE only.

XHP 70 SLICE only.

XHP 70.2 SLICE and DICE

Diceing shouldnt be necessary on the xhp70, should it?

The Xhp70 doesn’t have phosphor covering the entire emitter die, just the actual LES. The 70.2 does, and if you slice the dome without removing the phosphor it makes the beam more yellow and a bit odd looking. You need to remove the phosphor and it helps a lot.