XHP70 motorcycle light ideas

Here’s a video. I love leds . I think I got an adrenaline rush trying them out lol

Edit: I’ll post pics with the elliptical lenses later for comparison

Where did the bike headlight go?

These leds would make for excellent exterior lighting at my house. I think they’re brighter than the light I used to have on my electric pole. Might make for another interesting project in the future. :slight_smile:

Hi

Sorry for late response as I was on leave for 6 weeks

more info here

Highext Bin P2 Cree XHP70 LED on Automotive rated MCPCB

• Operating Voltage: 12 Volt DC;
  • Color Temperature: 6000K;
  • PCB 50mm Diameter x 1.6mm Thick
  • 30mm PCD Clearance round the led for various optic/reflectors
  • Beam: 10/20/40 D FWHM
  • PCB Color: Black,
  • Material: Aluminium, available in TPAD Copper at additional Cost
  • Lens: Available with Reflectors or TIR
  • Life time:100000+ hour based on work temperature:-45℃- +80℃
  • Warranty: 5years

Reflector solutions include but not limited to

7 degree Reflector

10 degree Reflector

Cheers

Mark

Now that’s what I’m talking about! I could picture a pair of those mounted in round chromed housings! Shipping is enough that I might have to consider multiple units to off set the cost. Would you mind sharing with us the current going to the led and the total current draw from a 12v power source? I know there are probably other people that would be interested in this. Also, are there any holes or indentions to mount the lens holder or how does that work? Does it ship with optics already installed?

It appears to be this light engine here.

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=CUT2688

How does the cross from the led look with the smaller reflector?

Here’s a couple pics of beam pattern. The battery is unsafe inside so I used my back door and they’re about 3 ft away.

3 xhp50 in the plain spot tir

And here’s the elliptical tir

I didn’t know it was going to be this complicated to make a light. I found a website with decent explanation for tvs diode and digikey carries automotive grade diodes. I just need to find which one I need and figure out how to implement it. Here’s a link for anyone else that’s as lost as I am.
http://www.completepowerelectronics.com/tvs-diode-selection-tutorial/

Digikey search list for diodes with leads Search list

They recommended part number
F6843CT-ND

Does anyone know how to wire this in? Does it just go on positive line going to the circuit like a fuse?

edit: or something like this?

I still haven’t finished the light, it seems like I can never find the time. Has anyone used the TI Design tool to build drivers? Here’s a link to the design I’m looking at for possible future build. It’s an automotive buck driver pushing 6 amps. http://webench.ti.com/appinfo/webench/scripts/SDP.cgi?ID=F39DA33DA31A0C0E
The total price before shipping is showing about 11 bucks, that’s not a bad price for something tailored to a specific projects needs. It just seems like there is not a very big selection for off the shelf automotive grade drivers available.