XM-L + TIR lens.. = ???

Very interesint article. Thanks Gurthang!! :beer:

So I hate to necro an old thread like this, but I just have a question or two about TIRs that I can’t seem to find answers to.

First, I understand the basic principle of how they work. At least I guess I do. They “bend” light in a fashion similar to water. The light is reflected as it is if you look at a fishtank at the right angle, but directed differently. My main question is what does the angle listed on a TIR reflector…reflect? Is it the angle at which light leaves the lens? So a 10 degree would be a really small beam while a 60 degree or greater would be more floody?

I’m also curious about how TIRs (maybe with different angles) interact with different emitters. Since more light is collected and “bent,” would an XML produce a brighter beam with more (or less) throw at the same current as an XRE at a similar angle?

Does anyone have some comparison beamshots, say, with one emitter and two different TIR angles, or two different emitters with the same angle (and preferably same current)? I’ve read all I can, and it’s frankly stretching my understanding of the English language to read so much science (and I actually enjoy math!). I would just like to see some practical examples.

A response may be better in a new thread since this one is so old, and it may be overreaching the OP, but I also don’t like to start a new thread with just a question. Maybe it would be a great chance for someone who knows what they’re talking about to put up a little guide. Just do me a favor if you do start a new thread - please let me know via PM (or via this thread) so I don’t miss it.

from what i understand if we use TIR we dont need to have the “metal” reflector?
from where can we buy TIRs ?

Go here: http://www.carclo-optics.com/opticselect/

and look around. They have beamshots of pretty much all their optics paired with just about every emitter you could ask for.

“Bending” light is not quite the word. TIR is practically similar with standard reflector, just that it uses the material inherent ability to reflect light instead of using reflective (shiny) material. Think water and how it looks like a mirror on certain angle.

The angle for TIR is just how it focuses, as you said, 10degree is spot, 30 is quite floody and 60 is just giving light everywhere. The beam will still be round, just the spot size will be different.

There is a couple of beamshots add the end of the first post. Both lights have the same 10 degree TIR's and identical drivers. The only difference is the LED. XM-L in one and XP-G in the other.

Heres a link to a variety of TIR's. The once used in the above are the first ones in the below link.

http://fancyflashlights.com/category.php?id=5

I’ve built a couple of XML flashlights using TIRs and done some research on them - a few pointers

-You don’t need a specific TIR for a specific LED

- A larger LED (like an XML) will produce a larger angle beam than a small LED in the same TIr

- the angle rating for a TIR is only true for one specific LED

- the angle rating is usually described as being “full width half angle” or the angle of cone that contains 50% of the light output from the TIR

-TIRs are more efficient than reflectors and the smallest angle ones (tightest) produce about the same angle beam as a reflector of the same size although the appearance of the beam may be very different

-some TIRs incorporate a lens feature as well as the reflector (specifically the Carclo 20mm range) these can project the square die of the LED over the top of the beam leading to an overall square beam profile

- the optics of a narrow angle and wide angle optic of the same size often only differ in the texture applied to the front face of the optic

I like them, but in a small diameter they will be very floody with an XML

They are better in small sizes. The larger they are, the more material there is to absorb light and decrease efficiency. A reflector has only one surface with which to focus light, a tir can have a center hollow element, a parabolic reflector, and also use the front surface to alter the beam profile.

I use TIR lenses in my MicroMags and as anyone that has one can attest, they work quite well. I can easily throw past 100yds with them.

Awesome answers. MRsDNF, I did notice (and subscribe to) that thread after I posted this, and even more searching. As far as I can see, yours are the only side-by-side comparisons like what I was hoping to see. And those are both single AA lights, right? Pretty impressive.

Thanks for the answers, and if anyone has any more beamshots to add, I would be more than happy to see them — especially if you do the nifty mouseover thing. :bigsmile:

Hi,

The DCQ 18650:

http://www.fancyflashlights.com/goods.php?id=632

has a TIR with XM-L2, and the beam is very nice!

But I was trying to look at the links to CNG quality goods to look for a xml2 TIR lens or somewhere I could get one that would fit my C8s and C12s .l looked at Carl Co’s website and I got overwhelmed and confused so any information that I could use would be greatly appreciated .thanks.

I have that same exact Ultrafire PD32 (Fenix PD32 Clone) that has an XM-L + TIR Optic,
it has a nice beam profile. I have used it alot on a 3 week holiday trip.

I have a Ultrafire C2 host fitted with a TIR lens and an XML. The Lens is a bit shallow to fit perfectly but I added some copper rungs under the pill to raise it a bit. The results are very nice. Most of the light is forwarded in a clean broad beam and there is no spill to worry about. Even with moonlight modes of 3Amp KD 8xAMC driver, you get a greatly usable light due to its more focused yet broad light.

I have an MT-G2 with a TIR lens, and it rocks!

Come on Ouchyfoot. You know the rules. Beamshots. I haven't seen pictures of this lens in action. Thanks.

Sorry, I just can’t get a realistic beamshot with my ipad. It has a big hotspot like a harvest moon. A small light will illuminate a big area

Not a beam…it’s a lazer! Remember that fire in Colorado…that was his beamshot :stuck_out_tongue:

I kid, I kid…lets see if it catches stuff on fire!

What driver do you have in it? I do have one of these lenses hence the questions. It will more than likely be driven at around 3 amps.

I used a Qlite modded with anZener diode. It’s all you want in a light that size. (Convoy M1)