XM-L2 vs MT G2

I think if reflector and led chip size match MT-G2 would throw better on same reflector surely xm-l

Very interesting answers, which i share the opinion with. Keep in mind, this guy is very strict, he say that he doesn’t care at all for using the same reflector, all he care is comparison with theoretical ideal reflectors made specially for this emitters, ideal for both leds.

So we talk about theoretical perfection for both lights.

So if a reflector was specifically made for the mt-g2 to throw like missile then the xml would easily adapt to that reflector and out throw it because of the lumen/die size ratio and beam pattern.

The more you quote him the more i am starting to doubt he don’t know what is talkin about, sry.

he doesn’t care at all for using the same reflector…?
ideal reflectors made specially for this emitters, ideal for both leds…?

So the reflectors can’t be same :bigsmile:

For me personally, the MT-G2 (dedomed) throws better because it lights up a bigger area as far as I can effectively see without the aid of magnification.

But, in absolute terms, the XM-L2 will probably beat the MT-G2 in any reflector to due to what Jerommel said above. I sometimes wonder if that would change if we could heat sink the MT-G2 enough to really crank up the amps.

Anyway, here are some MT-G@ throw measurements in various reflectors.

Not going to see a mgt2 throw 800k lux. It comes down to surface brightness. Lumens/mm2.
N0 mgt2 @ 3A produces at least 1904 lumens in an 8.9Sq mm
so 24 lumens per mm2

U2 xml2@ 3A produces min of 1119 lumens in a 5sq mms
So 45 lumens per mm2

So for a mgt2 to have the same surface brightness of a u2 xml2 driven at 3A, the mgt2 would have to be over driven to produce 3545 lumens.

If an over driven xml2 Vn light, for instance, makes 1700 lumens; that would mean single mtg2 would have to produce 5386 lumens to match its surface brightness.

If you’ve ever welded or been around a welder, you know how intense the light is. But compared to something like 20k lit candles, a welder’s arc would have no where near the lumen output of the lit candles. But the throw capability of the lesser lumen welding arc would be orders of magnitude greater in a reflector than that of 20k candles in a massive reflector.

More accurately meauring just the round substrate of the mgt2 would be closer to 28.27 mm². Just the substrate of the xml2 would be 7.73mm².

@ImA4Wheelr:

You mean an MT-G2 light throws a flood! :smiley:
For the same reason i like reflectors with orange peel surface and pebbled TIRs etc…

ps: i just said what people in the know say and what is also the conclusion of experiments (by others).

So… if one manage to make an mt g2 to work with around 17A ~20A than we all should be wrong and mtg2 will triumph… :stuck_out_tongue:

I think DBCstm has got pretty close to that, but I think we would also have to keep the emitter temperature down further than has been done in testing so far. It would be nice to find out.

My scratch build, which I haven't had the heart to return back to, has a 3 inch shelf under the emitter base with a copper rod extending through it. It also has a huge copper head on top of that that the emitter also rests on. I'm looking forward to trying to do what your talking about.

…but that’s more than 100 Watts… 8^°

The only thing that can save mtg2 in this case is its low thermal resistance compared to xml, still i dont know if it is enough. Hope you find time and will to return to your project, and i wish you luck.
I for myself am at phase 2 of my SYRI and even if the amount of work i have to do is just a fraction of what i do for the contest, i am still failing to do. lol i just look at my flashlight and say to myself, that the one who did this probably have to be another me :stuck_out_tongue: Ps my phase 2 is called “pure throw” of SYRI version :slight_smile:

Yes, pure throw i find more interesting. No spill. :slight_smile:
Optically the simplest way i think is a recoil set up with a parabolic mirror that catches ALL emitted light.
But where can you find such mirror? :frowning:

I run my only remaining MT-G2 light at 80watts+, it’s making 3,310Lm (but only ~35kCd, its a flooder) so that level isnt unachievable however providing adequate cooling will be VERY difficult during any extended periods of use.

Right-even over driven that hard it still fails to match the surface brightness of a 3A Xml2.
I hope the OP can educate his friend w/o making him feel insulted. I think his friend is more tripped up on how we define throw, brightness, lumens, candela, etc. If he has a science background it shouldn’t be hard to help him get up to speed. But I’m guessing otherwise by his attitude.

Surface brightness only matters if both LED’s are using same size reflectors. If the size of the reflector is not limited (so that both LED’s can be focused properly), MT-G2 will win because it can pump out more lumens.
It might be that reflector that properly focuses MT-G2 would be pretty big, but that could be reduced by using TIR optic instead.

@Blinky, thats exactly what he is saying, wonder if its really correct ? not that i don’t trust you, don’t get me wrong.

Well if MT-G2 puts out 1900 lumens and XM-L2 1100 lumens, and both of those outputs (all of the light the LED produces) are focused into a area size of a coin at some distance, the MT-G2’s area will be lit brighter.
But the MT-G2’s reflector or optic might be many times bigger than the XM-L2’s if both are perfectly focused. So it might be that the MT-G2 -thrower would be too big for standard flashlight use.

This is a little confusing.
You speak of ‘specially designed’, but now it turns out you or he meant a big reflector for the MT-G2 and a smaller one for the XM-L2.

MT-G2 is physically bigger LED, so the ideal reflector for it must be bigger than the ideal reflector for XM-L2