Xp-l hd w2 How hard can it be driven?

Hi everyone.
Does anyone know or can confirm how many amps can I drive through a Xp-l hd w2. Safely?
I don’t want to burn it up but I’ve seen some high figures for amps and lumens.
I was thinking 3 or 3.5a.

Good question, something I’d like to know since that I have a FET DirectDrive driver running in my Convoy S21’s.
Have been running full bore with no problems so far.

Check out these tests below. They are not the W2 brightness bin but they’ll tell you the relevant info as far as max current. With these LEDs the usual failure from over-current is melted bond wires. That can occur over 8A. If you keep it below that you should be safe as long as you use a DTP MCPCB and the rest of your thermal path is good. The max output happens around 7A, but the current you’ll actually see in a light will typically be less because of the higher forward voltage of the LEDs. So with bypassed springs and a good cell you might see between 5 and 6.5A, but that really depends on the exact LED you’re using. With a triple each LED will see even less current, maybe 4A each.

Thank you for your reply. Appreciated.
I found a 3.5a driver I like the look of.
I had no idea that you could drive them as hard!
Nice one.

Just be aware that you can only drive them that hard with a direct thermal path MCPCB. If you have a traditional one (usually aluminium, where a dialetric layer separates the thermal pad and board) it’s not a good idea to drive them much above 3A

Good thing too, Kaidomain has the XPL2-HD on copper MCPCB, been working a treat so far, and would explain why this little thing is so bright! (Bypasses and making sure the thermals are above decent)

I thought that there was something like that as a limiting factor. Luckily the one I like is MCPCB mounted. Thank you.