XP-L vs XM-L2 OTF Tests

Thanks for this data. Solarforce just released their XP-L drop in with an OP reflector. I have been considering getting one except if there is little difference in Lux or throw then I will stick with the slightly cheaper XM-L2. I also prefer a well defined hot spot. If there is no difference between the two except for the reflector that again tells me to stick with the XM-L2. I originally thought the XP-L was a stronger replacement for the XP-G2 so it would have dramatically more lumens and much more throw, ie a tighter hotspot and greater distance. So from your data I have to ask Cree why did you make the XP-L? if it is just a slightly stronger XM-L2?

The XP-L that Solarforce use is a weak one, it is V3, you have 3 bins over that, V4, V5, V6.

They made the XP-L so that the same die can be sold on multiple packages, for indoor illumination throw does not matter.

Yes but the Solarforce have two great features even if they are not the strongest bin. One, they have a great voltage spread (2.7V - 9.0V) so I can use a variety of battery configuratioons, and two, they are relatively cheap $16.99.

Solarforce is one of the few host makers that allow me to chose different battery configurations. Most drop in/flashlight makers see their products used with only one battery configuration so their voltage input spread is quite narrow. I wish more companies would make a larger input voltage spread.

[/quote]

For the P60?

http://www.fasttech.com/category/1617/diy-kits-parts-reflectors/

[/quote]
Offhand I would not assume that these reflectors will fit Solarforces’s drop-ins. IIRC the dropins they use are slightly special. You might have to build a new dropin. If you tear the SF dropin down, be careful to remove the retaining ring, the driver is soldered into it from the inside. Pressing it out from the top through the wire holes will almost certainly destroy the driver.
[/quote]

I agree each reflector has to be measured. I want to ask RMM @ Mountain to measure his SMO reflectors except they are out of stock so I have to wait until he get a new batch in stock.

I like that UI of these Solarforce drop-ins. Resets back to high after beeing off for longer than 2 seconds. Best UI for mechanical clicky if you ask me.

STAR off-time set to no memory can do that. That's how I set up a lot of lights for guys who always want the light to turn on in either high or low first.