XPL HI or bust

Seriously, why use any other LED? Okay XML to get a bit more lumens out of a purposefully floody light. Nichia if you really want perfect tint. Otherwise why use anything else? Come on budget light makers, stick them in all different form factors of lights make sure the high mode is direct drive and be done with it.

What about some of us that like to “try” stuff? Like just for fun? :laughing:

Because some times you would rather have a less tight hotspot and a bit more spill. Like the Convoys I have with 60 and 45 degree TIR’s. Much more useful light since you will never get much throw from that reflector, and illuminating half the room at once makes it a better EDC.

Who sez you have to give up raw output to get nice Nichia-like tint?

I quite often use xpg for reasonable output good beam and $ factor
sometimes dedomed sometimes not

Tint options

why not just run 219a ’s only

I was thinking the same thing the other night .
is there anything nicer than a nichia 219A ?

For now we see through a mirror dimly ….

I’m not at all pleased by the beam that a XP-L HI produces through a Carclo narrow triple optic, a blurry square it is. 219’s, XP-G’s, Oslon Square’s, (when reflowed nicely in the middle of the solder pads) all give beautiful beams. I’m looking forward to the XP-G3, with its spread-out phosfor I expect a soft edge on the light emitting area, which I hope makes for an even smoother triple beam!

Another reason: I bought 9 XP-L HI’s (U4 7A1) for a 9xled SRK clone mod, but that is the last time I spend 50 dollars worth of leds for one flashlight, it would have cost me just 15 dollars to put Oslon Squares in there, or even the cheap new XP-G3.

Good points everyone. I can see some purposes for modding.

I guess I just still see all these XML lights and I see them as obsolete.

Good topic. I felt the same way about XPL-HI after getting a BLF X6 SS/Cu because of its great beam and throw. Suddenly I thought all my lights should have XPL-HI, but now I’m not so sure. My understanding is with XPL-HI over an XML2 you give up some overall output in exchange for the better throw.

So now I think XPL-HI is needed only in lights where you want more throw than what a regular XPL or XML2 offers and you are willing to give up some overall output in exchange, but not giving up nearly as much as you would with XP-G2.

So here’s some of my thoughts (not necessarily facts, someone please correct me if I’m wrong):

XP-G2: Long throw from a more intense hotspot with less spill, but less overall output than XPL/XML
XPL-HI: Better throw but slightly less overall output than XPL/XML2, solves the above issue giving long throw with more overall output than XP-G2.

Lately I read some people commenting are not happy with their XPL-HI modded lights, I’m not sure if that’s because they are using a reflector or optic that’s designed for XML? I have a feeling that sometimes may be the case. Does a reflector or optic need to be optimized for XPL-HI?

Here are some beamshots with mouse-overs that showing a good comparison between XML2 and XPL-HI in the same light, an Eagle Eye X6 (post #126 by MRsDNF in this thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/36967/124)

You can see how the XPL-HI has better throw but less overall output. It appears to be different tints as the XML2 looks more neutral, and I’m not sure if he is using the same reflector.

I also had the same feeling about XPL when it came out, shouldn’t all lights have XPL instead of XML2? (I assumed XPL made the XML2 outdated)

XML2 vs XPL (not HI): Not sure there is any difference in the beam profile or output?
For lights not needing the throw of XPL-HI should we use XML2 or XPL for the best overall output?

A question from an amateur-how many lumens cca will give XPLHI led neutral white with 3amps driver? I want to replace Osram leds in Lumintop Apollov2 for brighter leds…Four leds and just 1000 lumens…Not enough for me.But the driver gives only 3 amps.Thanks for answer:)

3A ÷ 4 = 750mA per LED
750mA = 300-350 Lumens per LED

So 4 XPL-HI 5000K @ 3A should be around 1200-1400 theoretical lumens.

Minus 10-15% loss for optics, side by side your eye would barely notice a difference.

Edit: The GW PUSTA1.PM in the Apollo are domed and the XPL-HI aren’t.
This should make the light a little throwier so it may appear a little brighter due to that.

Thanks a very much for that clear easy answer for me…Done.Its was not good choice…Its not bright as it could be.I think yet about sst40…They are quickly hot,need a lot of energy,but maybe a bit brighter.But with 3 V amps its probably the same result as with the XPLhi…Oh.So sad day for me.:slight_smile:

The SST40 are 5050 5mm×5mm and you’d need a different MCPCB for them and their dome may not fit in to the Optic as well.
The XPL-HI footprint is similar to the Osram’s but it is different so you may need a different MCPCB for the XPL-HI as well.

What to say? I love this forum.:laughing: But not this new flashlight:) Thanks a lot…

1 Thank