Xtar VC4 has no Xtar Authentic Sticker on the Bottom?

Just got my Xtar VC4 from amazon prime and noticed no sticker on the bottom that Xtar uses to make sure it is not a fake. Is this normal? I was looking at a youtube video on the VC4 and near the end, he pointed that the bottom of the VC4 must have that sticker. It's at 12:24 on the youtube vid where he shows the sticker. VC4 youtube video

On another note, I just got my panasonic 3400 mah 18650, 3.7 volt batteries and when I put them in the VC4, it displays 4.0V and the both batteries were at 13 mah. When charging, it started off at 3.8V and 13 mah and now about an hour later each of the two batteries is displaying 4.0V and 700 mah Little confused about that

Hi, yes, there is a sticker on the warranty card thanks! I should have looked for that first, sorry about that and thank you for standing behind your product and taking the time to reply, it is appreciated

Just one more question please. Batteries are now at 1400 mah and now charging at the max 4.2V. Is that still safe considering they are only 3.7 volt batteries?

Yes the nominal voltage is 3.7 volts. The full charge voltage is 4.2 volts and the max discharge is about 3 volts.

HKJ describes what you should be seeing as the cell(s) charge, see his review

It will seem like a lot to read, but it’s all the info you need to understand how the charger is working.

Note how the charts show the voltage rising to 4.2v and eventually shutting off.

The mAh number is, I think, a rough estimate of how much has been put into the cell (you did not start from zero, but from some low charged level)

Thanks! First time charging lithium batteries am being a little careful.

Again, thanks! Will read it all as this is my first time with lithium batteries. These protected panasonics started at only 13 mah when I put them in the charger, so it was very low.

Hi, the one battery says "full" now and VC4 displays 1800mAh on it. When I put it into the charger, it was only 13mAh. Could they be fake Panasonics as they are supposed to be 3400mAh?

You know to never leave the charger unattended, and when not to inhale, right?

There’s a li-ion thread here with more detail on precautions to take, especially if you’re using any li-ion charger indoors in a home with family members.

Or, of course, there are those who will remind you that the odds are in your favor and you’re probably lucky.

Your cell was still about half full before charging and only the missing energy (1800mAh) had to be charged. That’s how it works.

New battery will not arrive with 0% charge, it will have partial charge in it, it is normal you see a charge of approx. 1800mA

A fully discharged NCR18650B is 2.5Volts, but it is not recommend to fully discharge Li-Ion battery,

furthermore the protection chip will cut off any further usage at approx. 3V, so there will always be some charge in it when you charge it again.

P.S. Quite impressed with Xtar’s involvement; kudos!

Very helpful, thank you again! I got it now.

Me too. Really helpful for a noob like me. I'm going to do a lot of reading now to get up to speed on lithium batteries.

Did not know that, but for safety I was always near the charger and regularly making sure the batteries were not getting hot. I did use it indoors and know nothing about "when not to inhale" but I'll search for that thread now thanks!

Makes sense now thank you. Of course I should have done more reading right from the beginning but I was kind of excited when I got my new batteries and right away wanted to charge them!

> safety
Here’s one good summary: Is my battery collection stored safely? - #45 by SawMaster
post dated: 10/03/2016 - 16:37 #45 by SawMaster

Thanks Hank!