XXXFire sues flashlight companies (patent infrigement)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagonlight

PentagonLight was a California maker of flashlights used by the military and law enforcement agencies. Their lights included lithium-powered handheld lights, tactical lights for guns, and an angle head flashlight.

[edit] Angle Head Flashlight

In 2007, PentagonLight introduced a small LED angle head flashlight called MOLLE Light. This light is reminiscent of the widely issued World War II TL 122 or Vietnam vintage MX991\U military flashlights. this light uses an LED as the light source and fits through PALS webbing for attachment on MOLLE vests and compatible equipment [1].

[edit] Lawsuit and Closure

In April 2008 Surefire, LLC, sued PentagonLight for patent infringement and false advertising. The suit was filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas. SureFire's suit alleged that PentagonLight willfully infringed upon SureFire's U.S. Patent No. RE 40,125 relating to SureFire's patented lockout tailcap switch. The false advertising claim alleged that PentagonLight made false statements in its promotional materials indicating that its flashlights are "Made in USA."

In November 2008, a federal District Court imposed a ban prohibiting Pentagon Scientific Corp. from importing, making, using, offering for sale, or selling products that infringe on SureFire's lock-out tailcap patent. PentagonLight agreed to permanently cease all production and sales of flashlights, thus shutting down their company within a few months of the decision.

Chinese flashlight, develop and made in china.

I wonder how long before they sue this site for defamation of character? Especially everyone who posted in this thread!

Come and get me.

I live at 1060 West Addison, Chicago, IL

Yes, it's dark - and I'm wearing sunglasses....thanks for asking.

That's a big house with many bathrooms.

Yeah, but we've only had electric lights since August, 1988.

And there's always a faint smell of beer and hotdogs, even in the big backyard.

Don't the Blues Brothers live there?

Nah, but I do get a lot of court summons for Elwood in the mail, for some reason.

Surefire can go s**t in their hats. I'd never buy one now even if I was stupid enough to pay those prices for antique emitters, primary-only, clickie-less options. Glad I got rid of all my antiques. Good frackin' riddance!!

Rich

Deserves to be repeated.

SureFire is the New Improved MAG.

Refuses to get with the new reality.

Um, these makers are in China. Won't they simply give Surefire the Giant Middle Finger and move on?

Seriously... a patent on "tactical grip" or whatever? Gimme a break.

Pretty much, they'll just close up shop in the USA and exist as online only companies....probably won't affect sales all that much and certainly wouldn't increase surefire's...all they are doing is making themselves look pretty foolish and like Apple has done, push users to a more open and user feedback created system (Android).

what it will do is get US sales outlets to think twice before they carry Chinese lights as they may be liable in cases like this or at the very least wind up having to spend more than they want on legal fees etc. Even if 4 sevens etc win, how much $ have they lost having to defend themselves? At this point, we don't even know if the patents listed by surefire are legit since the US system has a habit of letting the courts make that determination.

Rich tell us how you really feel.

I doubt the ones being sued will pay the money to go to court unless Surefire insists on huge damages and leaves them with no choice but to fight or go out of business. If Surefire just tells them to stop making and selling the lights or asks for a reasonable royalty, they could settle out of court.

My opinion is if you pay the money to get a patent, you also have to protect that patent. So that is what Surefire is doing. If they don't enforce it, they lose it. I don't blame them; it is part of business, though ultimately consumers lose and the lawyers are the ones that win the most. I think with the tailcap they will probably win, especially against 4Sevens who copied it for the Maelstrom lights.

I think they are only going after companies in the US rather than try to press charges overseas. That's why they are going after some of the sellers instead of the Chinese companies. Also someone said a lot of these lawsuits were delivered at the Shot Show, so that may have played a part in who got served.

Plus those US patents mean nothing in China, and would be impossible to enforce over there.

+10

+1k Good luck suing China!

BTW $urefire should just spend the $$$ on RnD so they have a top of the line lights instead of wasting it on lawsuits that would only hurt the middle guys.

But they got fat and happy on their military contracts and see no need to change. I'm sure they could produce excellent lights if they cared to - but will the military buy them? That is where their real money comes from.

I accept that selling anything to the military immediately increases costs dramatically just because of the various requirements that have to be complied with.

But just because the military finds it useful, it doesn't mean that I will. And I see no reason to pay for all that compliance.

As drop said - they can leave deposits in their hats - and wear them afterwards for all I care.

Old4570 actually bought a surefire and much preferred the Solarforce at a third of the cost. Is that comparison here old? Or is is just on the (currently inaccessible) jayki.com.

I'd appreciate it if you reposted it here - assuming that you are more organised than I am and actually keep personal copies of your reviews.

Yeah, to think I have a C2 host and a 6p....and the 18 bucks I spent just to replace the crappy plastic bezel with a steel one.....I should sell them off to some fanboys on cpfm. I like my solarforce l2p just fine, and it takes 18650.