Your #1 pick for best all around budget knife?

All of you are poison! Poison I tell you!

Just ordered my first Chinese knives from Exduct: an Enlan EL-01, SRM 710 and a Ganzo G704.

Can’t go wrong with that! Did you use the discount code?? :slight_smile:

They ship crazy fast too! Love their stuff!

-Jamie M.

I consider the SRM 710 the best of the small knives and the Ganzo 704 to be the best of the large knives, at least as they come out of the box.

The Enlan EL-01 is outstanding too. Its only drawback is that the edge profile is too obtuse. It took me 2 hours with diamond stones to “hog off” enough steel to make it slice better. It is very strong though.

Yeah I used the “BLFgiveaway” code.

I wanted to get a large and a small folder, but at those prices, I thought “why not try out an Axis Lock knife too?”….Thinking hurts my wallet…

I don’t know of any budget sources because I bought my locally in Canada.

I forgot to mention that the meadowlark 2 feels very cheap compared to my other knives from Sanrenmu or Enlan/Bee.

I like it because it is very comfortable and fits my hand well.

You have come to the right place, Natsuiro!

Hey, you’ve really got my attention on that Spyderco brand. These look real nice! What I can’t believe is the variance in price??!! Anywhere from $20 odd bucks to over $200+. What’s the go? Surely it’s not a difference in quality within the same make? Is there an issue with fakes? I notice that most sellers are US based so I assume they must be legit. I just don’t understand how 2 knives that look very similar can be over $100 difference.

Got to get me some of these now. Any “must have” recommendations with these Spydercos?

Look at the materials used... standard 440C or 8Cr13MoV is a lot cheaper than S30V or VG-10 steel. Also complicated production processes like titanium handles add to the costs. Look at Jekostas awesome knife primer thread to get a basic idea what might be the reason that some knives are more expensive than others. Also this video playlist of inexpensive premium brands is a good start.

If you’re getting Spyderco, it’s gotta be ZDP189 or nothing :wink:

-Jamie M.

Ha this is the Budget place, that being said…. Why no love for the BYRD knives? Made by Spyderco

The Robin 2
Meadowlark 2 an
Cara Cara 2
all 3 of those (different sizes) come in G10 versions(the ones I perfer), Same steel (8cr13Mov)as most of the knives listed in this thread. An run about $15-$30 on eBay maybe better if ya shop around. I personally dig the comet shaped hole for opening way more then a thumb-stud. An the ergonomics is what keeps me coming back (I think I have 4Byrd knives at present) for more. Worth a look for sure.

*cough* Made by Navy for Spyderco *cough*

I concur with your agreement! EL-01 is a winner in terms of value and quality. It makes a nice large blade complement to the SRM 710, the 710 being my top choice for EDC primarily due to the price, design, and solid build quality.

SRM GB/LB-763 is the runner-up for EDC blade after the 710 IMO. Very light and sturdy, decent usable blade edge (even though actual blade length is shorter), axis lock, less intimidating, has a bottle opening notch in the blade when closed, and comes in G10 or aluminum handles. My only knock is that it is a little more expensive, and the backspacer seems to be an inconsistent brown color across all the models (but you can remove it).

Due to reading this forum, I’m contemplating pulling the trigger on the new Ganzo 704. And here I was thinking my wallet would be safe after I buy three more 710s :bigsmile:

I think you might of made a good choice, Ive got a Enlan el01 on order as well. Anxious to see in person… Most of the SRM’s Ive seen are very good quality just too small for my hands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-BYRD-G-10-MEADOWLARK-2-Plain-Knife-BY04GP2-New-/290752670659

$2 more an ships from Ohio (I think), plain edge (going to want to be able to easily sharpen this type of steel IMO) and you get the G10 scales, which when it comes to this line… just feels better to my hand, sturdy, grippy ect. I just don’t care for the Byrd FRN design (busy), feel, or look. Not knocking Navy seems like the same factory made it all.

Also maybe I suck at filtering but when I search Navy knife… I get 8 bajillion results that are all either Buck, Winchester, Case or some other old brands tribute to the Navy or Seals… And those seatbelt cutter in the handle navy seal partially serrated dime a dozen gas station knives, to sort through.

Vectrex my bad, I noticed it said your in Germany, so shipping from the US probably doesn’t mean jack to you, just convenient for us in the continental US.

My link was more a comment to GTP2K1s post anyway. I just wanted to point out that there is a very good reason Spydercos, Byrds and Navy knives look so similar in design.