Your favourite Host/Flashlight to mod a MT-G2 in ?

Hi, thanks.

• For Roche LS01, I’m still tinkering with its original driver (thinking next thing to try is the resistor mod).
  • For XinTD X3, since the voltage is 12V, I use Nanjg 105c with FET (original 7135s are stripped off the board) and two Zeners to bring voltage down to safe level for the Atmel.
  • For the rest, generally I use Nanjg 105c with Zener and lots and lots of 7135s stacked (usually 16). Anyway I intend to replace some of them with IRFR371 FET based driver later (simpler than stacking those tiny 7135s and I can save lots of 7135s for my other XP-L / XM-L2 18650x1 projects, where they can be really good).

I just did a new-117 for a guy here and really liked it, I’ve got another I’ll be doing for myself when I have time.

I used the factory driver but stripped off the MCU and used a 10F322 air wired on with UFLC which works really well with this switch setup (also resistor modded it for the desired output). It’s a pretty damn good driver once you get rid of the horrid PWM rate, seems to remain in regulation down to about 3.85v (per cell) from what I was able to see.

Nice collection, you’ve got some money in just the emitters, hopefully you bought in bulk!

Thank you :slight_smile: And I didn’t know there is such a great deal for T08.

Of course, I favor the Maglites for the MT-G2. I like the mags because it allows for 26650, 18650 or 6xAA. The driver allows for anywhere up to 9 amps, for a little monster, or lower amps for a longer runtime.

Do you guys want to do a group buy and group mod for the ZY-T08? I will see what price I can get from Tmart if you want and we can possibly get a BLF driver figured out, where one of the guys designs the driver board and maybe RMM can offer a complete driver for it. Probably a zener 7135 or zener FET driver? that fits right in the light.

Just a thought. I will organize it if you wish, or someone else if you prefer.

Sorry DBSAR, for derailing the thread. I can remove this post and do a different thread if you wish.

I already have a direct install ZY-T08 driver laid out, just need to know what people want (7135’s or FET). No piggybacking needed, this is a single board that replaces the factory PCB. It’s currently setup to handle the conversion to 2s cells but I can change that, or offer both. I dont have it shared and I have my name on it, I’ll change it to “BLF” before hand and do some labeling while I’m at it to make it a real “BLF driver”.

Keep me informed whats going on with it. I’m more than happy to do the work

I’m not a fan of big lights, I like the Convoy C8. I put together a Convoy M1 with the MT-G2, and as the M1 pill fits in the C8 I could easily try out the C8 with the MT-G2. I only had to slightly enlarge the hole in the reflector.

I have a ZY-T08 that I planned to stick a MT-G2 in, but it was bigger than I thought. I should have read the dimensions before ordering :zipper_mouth_face:. Now it’s laying the drawer collecting dust, haven’t even turned it on stock to test it. Eventually I’ll do something with it.

To OL. Yes I'd be interested though I dont know why. Its one light i dont have in this shape.

Ordered one (Zy-T08) 12h ago but depending on price, might get another one to play around with some other setup.
There was a 5% tmart coupon anyway, so it was around 16$. Great value if it has the aluminium reflector stated in the offer. (When it was released it was plastic IIRC)

It would be great if somebody comes up with a better and safer way to get a series setup in it than a solder blob. I’m thinking a driver plate with “butterfly” shaped connector plates might do the job. (To avoid shorting the batteries leave some space between the positive and the negative connector area.)
Something like this:
imagine a circle: (1/3 as +) (1/6 as not connected) (1/3 as -) (1/6 as not connected)

Its an expensive emitter to play with, I’ve only done it with two lights.

Convoy M1, 3040mA ~ 1500 lumens

-Great little EDC lumen-cannon, and the moon mode is a fun little distraction. The reflector does need a couple blobs of JB-Weld at the opening, left to cure while the reflector hangs and then trimmed, to space off of the substrate. It’s also a bugger to get centered properly. Granted, you’re not going to see any change in beam but its a neatness thing.

Trustfire X6, 7500mA (est) ~ 3000 lumens

-The SST-90 was obsolete, there was only one emitter to put in such a massive light. Floods decently and throws a very healthy distance, lots of fun to use. The reflector uses the steel surround of the SST-90 as a centering ring, but wrapping a bit of electrical tape around the lowest step on the outside of the reflector centers it well enough in the head. A step in the head also just about focuses the emitter as perfectly as you could want without actually cutting the flat base out of the reflector and raising the emitter on copper disks. Stock driver works fine, even resistor-modded to push 7.5 amps to the emitter low is very useable. Blinkies suck though. And having to use protected cells because no low-volt warning.

O-L, you've peaked my interest.

-Garry

GB on the UniqueFire UF-F10 would be nice :wink:

+1 if MCU swap is easy and some custom firmware is avalible without huge changes in code.

A Group Mod on any host would be a real eye opener to those of us just starting to try and Mod lights.

Thanks for the idea:-)

its no prob. :slight_smile: depending on the GB price i may be interested in another ZY-T08. ( i already have one with a MT-G2 in it.)

That would be great OL. More people should try to mod ZY-T08, it is a good host. Less reason not to, considering its price has dropped to only $16.

I must have missed something. Where does one get it for $16?

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Keychain-Flashlight-Torch-Cree-XM-L-T6-635LM-5-Mode-White-Light-Flashlight-Torch_p298560.html

I have sent an email to my tmart contact to see if we can get it any cheaper than $16.

Aha… I searched tmart for it and only found this link: http://www.tmart.com/Small-Sun-ZY-T08-Cree-XM-L-T6-635lm-5-Mode-White-Light-Flashlight-Torch-Black-2-x-18650_p193788.html

Of course, this has all been done before, many times and one time by me, so maybe it's a good enough price as is.

Sad to say I don't remember any of this.