Zanflare F1 Replacement

Hi Guys,

A few years ago I bought a Zanflare F1 and am very happy with it. I am now in need of a similar torch. I was going to buy a new one, but the exact same, but apparently they aren’t made anymore.

There are plenty of cheap torches with fake performance claims around and I don’t want to waste my money on one.

Does anyone have and recommendations for a good replacement for the Zanflare F1?

The reason I liked it was that it had a very bright mode which was quickly assessable 1075 lumens, and three lower modes (one just a glow really!). The lower modes gave plenty of light but lasted much longer. The 1075 maximum seemed genuine to me. This meant when I’m camping I can use a lower power to do things like cook and walk, but a higher power to see something in the distance when needed.

It felt of high qualify and well made. No flimsy parts. I like the easy recharging of the 18650.

Any recommendations, particularly where the performance is known to be genuine?

Consider the new Sofirn SP35 (21700) if you need high efficiency at the lower modes. I think the beam profile shouldn’t be too different.

Thanks.
That looks like a nice torch. However I’m a little reluctant to busy a Sofirn. I bought one a few years ago which was supposed to be waterproof. I dropped it from knee height into a stream of water. The stream was little more than 10cm deep. As I picked it out very quickly….maybe 5 seconds later, but it was ruined, never worked again.

I contacted Sofirn at the time and they first told me it was out of warranty. When I pointed out that it wasn’t, they then wanted to send me a part to solder into the broken one to see if that would fix it. Eventually after much pushing, they did send me a replacement.

I thought that maybe I was unlucky, so after your comment I googled them and found a similar story about a light breaking and them doing the same “try everything but warranty”. So to be honest, I’m a little reluctant to buy a Sofirn again, due to not having confidence in the quality nor their warranty.

I will use it while out camping in the mountains. So if it breaks, I’ve only a small backup. I really want something that I can depend on.

Apart from the brand, the SP35 looks ideal. Any alternative suggestions?

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/57399

I totally agree on the Zanflare F1. I find the modes perfectly set for my use. I use the 290 lumens a lot. This mode has a long runtime. The ring above the recharge port is genius. Its surprising that no one has copied this yet.

Did you check out the Wurkkos FC11.

Thanks!

In many ways that looks ideal. I just don’t like that it’s made in conjunction with Sofren!

Reviews seem good.

I agree about the F1, wish they still made it. You didn’t mention whether you needed charging capability or a side switch. If you don’t, my perennial favorite is still the BLF A6. Otherwise perhaps an Emisar?

Thanks. But I’d definitely want onboard charging.

I own both the Zanflare F1 and the Wurkkos FC11, and they both have a different beam pattern. The Zanflare is relatively throwy and good for walking (I like throwier lights). The FC11 is a nice light as well, but in my opinion it is more a light for around the house.

For walking I now have a Astrolux FT03 mini XPH50.2 (because I wanted more power and a side switch). Throwy, but not too throwy (it has a much wider beam than the SST40 version). Size comparison below.

The only issue I have with the FT03 mini is that (like the Zanflare) it’s a bit lengty with the normal (18650) tube. The interface is also a bit complicated, but I don’t really mind that.

Personally I think that going with Sofirn still is the best option if you’re looking for a simple light that won’t go nuts interface wise. I have owned the SP33 V3.0. Simple and versatile, great allround light. Same goes for the SP40, I gave one to my sister and she likes it very much.