Zebralight SC52 1aa/14500 awesomeness

Yes, it is indeed possible that 47s is overly conservative, just as it is possible ZL is overly exaggerating. I do mention the scale difference, and triangulation to SB in the above linked thread. But even adjusting for the scale difference doesn’t account for all the exaggeration.

So which is the correct scale (which I find around ~30% different)? I’ll borrow a quote from Selfbuilt’s review site:

“In any case, I still make no claim to the accurate lumen estimate accuracy. But the runtime graphs remain a well-calibrated and internally-consistent relative set of results from my testing, using only new batteries properly examined for relative performance.”

From my perspective, as a moonlight mode collector, I have lights from 47s, ET, TN and ZL and the first three manufacturers all calibrate spot on to the same lumen scale, while ZL is out in left field. And this triangulates with Selfbuilt - his reviews of the QAA2X, D25 Clicky series, and TN Neutron 1A, all show these lights to be ~100 lumens “under-rated.” There are plenty of other manufacturers on either side of these scales.

Now, if I were in Selfbuilt’s shoes, I would absolutely adopt a liberal lumen scale, since it is far, far easier to deliver good news, and great news, than it is to deliver any bad news.

The important point is that the SC52 is not nearly twice as bright, or twice as efficient, as a comparison of the listed specs suggest, especially among the direct sub-lumen competitors, partly because of the lumen scale difference, and partly for “other” reasons.

Your losing me a bit here CarpentryHero…

- Of course, 1xAA and 2xAA will be ~1 hr, all companies strive for an hour at max…. but the 1xAA will be at half the lumens.

- 47s has not updated its site (any site) for the XP-G2 emitter, David has indicated that the official results from the independent testing center takes a long time. So the stats are going to be XPG R5, and the info does look consistent to me?? with the XML versions treated as different product.

- re-read your own post… the 1.6 hrs refers to the strobe mode.

anybody got input on the best headlamp strap for the sc52?

something like these

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/ajustable-headband-for-flashlights-or-headlamps-p-456.html

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/nitecore-headband-hb02-2nd-generation-p-305.html

hey guys my SC52 shipped! I should have in a few days :)

I have the JETBEAM BC10 (cost about half as much) and use an aw rechargeable 123a battery and it seems to almost double the output with that battery. The light is rated at 270 on high with a standard battery. But with a rechargeable it is a pocket rocket that is pushing 500 lms, and you never need to buy another battery for it…………but if this just about using a 14500 I am sorry for interupting.

and it will last on high for a good while

Once my second sc52 arrives, I’ll do a runtime test. My guess is Zebralight uses calculations instead of real world runtime tests. Could explain why there numbers are out.
My concern isn’t so much the conservativeness in the runtimes, my concern is the runtimes seem low on the Quark, a pwm controlled light should be better than what they state and understating is actually hurting quark.
Quark for a 1aa, it does run almost as long as 2aa, just at a lower output on turbo. It’s only the lower power modes where I consider the numbers should be different.
My guess is the numbers are off because ANSI ratings changed the way they rate there lights.

Yep this is a 14500 light thread, though I agree, the Jetbeam B and p series do very well with lithium batteries.
The king of the rcr123 is the Eagletac D25c XML selfbuilt test it at 700 lumens

Both with NiMh? :open_mouth:

I have the SC51F which I will now be looking to sell. I’m so impressed through your stuff. Great!

I have a D25a 2013 edition Ti with XPG2 cool white and an SC52. Both are excellent lights. I run the SC52 on 840 mAh Zebralight brand 14500 and the D25a on 600 mAh AW IMR 14500.

Comparing the two:

1. SC52’s 500 lumens are slightly brighter than the 400-450 lumens from the D25a
  2. Despite having a smaller reflector the D25a has tighter hotspot and more throw than the SC52.
  3. D25a has better tint, but both are quite usable. D25a is a pure white. SC52 has a hint of green.
  4. D25a is a smaller light. The SC52 is shorter but chunkier.
  5. Zebralight has built-in low voltage protection + automatic step down after 1 minute or when voltage drops. It’s a light I’d feel safe giving to a non-flashaholic even with a 14500 installed. Not so the D25a which has no protection and could easily overheat.
  6. D25a only has 3 brightness modes (low, med, high) and no true moonlight. This is inferior to the Zebralight which has many more brightness settings.
  7. Titanium D25a looks very classy. Much classier than the SC52. Also it feels slightly more secure in the hand due to excellent knurling.
  8. I haven’t done a runtime test, but I expect the SC52 would easily beat the D25a in runtime. Especially since my Zebralight is using higher capacity li-ion cells.

Nice fair comparison/evaluation.

Wouldn’t make sense to run them side by side at max, esp. on 14500s. The SC52 has the 1min stepdown and better heat dissipation, while the D25A would probably scream until it caught fire. I ran a 2012 D25A Ti NW XML side-by-side with the SC52 on Eneloops on high though, particularly since they match-up as the same on my light meter.

On High, SC52:
Specs: 108 lms/ 3:00 hrs
Tested: 80>40lms/ 2:28

ET, D25A-XML, NW:
Specs: 75 lms/ 2:30 hrs
Tested: 80>40lms/ 2:20

Note: both lights exhibited similar drop down performance. Solid regulation throughout test, before dropping off quickly at the end. Efficiency equal.

Is it brighter than the Sipik SK68?

i am epic

Sc52 is definitely brighter than the sipik, but it won’t outthrow it

No you’re not, finish that half arsed review!!!

Firelight2, reppans - thanks for the input, guyz. Much appreciated :wink:
One thing: rep, what “Tested: 80>40 lms/ 2:20” means? :expressionless:

same format as the specs immediate above it.

Started at 80 lumens, ran it until it dropped to 50% (40 lms), time 2 hrs 20 mins.

It's the little and large show...

Sweet! It shows you just how small the S6330 is. I like I like!!

The SC52 is MUCH brighter than the SK68. In terms of lighting up a room or the ground in front of you the SC52 is probably five times brighter than an SK68. This is especially so when using li-ion batteries. The difference in output isn’t too surprising considering the SK68 is a budget light using an older emitter. While the SC52 is a premium light using a 2 generation newer emitter and draws higher current.

However, the SK68 throws further. If you want to illuminate something several hundred feet away, the SK68’s aspheric lens allows the light to project a tightly focused spotlight off into the distance. In contrast, the SC52 has a big emitter and a small fixed reflector. It’s mostly for short-range use.

Selfbuilt recently reviewed the SC52 and measured the output on li-ion at 540 lumens. I’m not sure the output of the SK68, but I’d be surprised if it’s over 100 lumens and probably drops to 50 lumens in spot mode.