Zeusray for Self Defense?

Makes sense. Is only the M2 bezel made from Stainless or do the other convoys also use SS bezels?

Doesn’t even need to be in a sock, this is France were talking about :bigsmile:

On a serious note, why not just buy something self defence wise in France instead of trying to take stuff with you.
Cs gas, mace, pepper spray is cheaply and readily available in France and is perfectly legal to carry for defensive self protection use

Them before you leave for home dispose of it in the bin, as you really don’t want to have to explain it at the airport and don’t be tempted to take anything like that to the UK , we’re still in the dark ages and even having pepper spray is a level 5 firearms offence, the same as having a machine gun
If we’re mugged here in the UK we just have to take it and call 999, stiff British upper lip and all that, If we’re lucky the police might attend 2 weeks later, if they aren’t to busy harrasing innocent motorists or journalist |(

look up traveling to usa, now that is not accurate at all.

[/quote]

Doesn’t even need to be in a sock, this is France were talking about :bigsmile:

On a serious note, why not just buy something self defence wise in France instead of trying to take stuff with you.
Cs gas, mace, pepper spray is cheaply and readily available in France and is perfectly legal to carry for defensive self protection use

Them before you leave for home dispose of it in the bin, as you really don’t want to have to explain it at the airport and don’t be tempted to take anything like that to the UK , we’re still in the dark ages and even having pepper spray is a level 5 firearms offence, the same as having a machine gun
If we’re mugged here in the UK we just have to take it and call 999, stiff British upper lip and all that, If we’re lucky the police might attend 2 weeks later, if they aren’t to busy harrasing innocent motorists or journalist |(
[/quote]

wow, I don’t think i will ever want to visit the country if can’t take some kind of protection for myself.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Literal lol.

(apologies to our French members)

Any quality flashlight with a silver colored bezel will be stainless steel.
Though some very cheap junk lights try to trick people with a silver colored bezel that is actually aluminum. Usually you can tell, often the whole light looks cheap and also silver colored aluminum can have a dull almost milky appearance, stainless steel bezels are shinier, more polished looking.

Unfortunately (fortunately) I will be traveling to several countries including the UK. I need something - even if it gives me just the slightest of an advantage - without knowing the local laws of each country. Also, certain places I will be visiting (Notre Dame for example) have security checks before entering.

1) “confidence is KING”… meaning, criminals are on the lookout for the EASIEST target they can find. Confidence shows in body language, and criminals are almost expert in reading it. Its not like you are going to PAKISTAN or something (where journalists go all the time unarmed)

2) my personal choice for a “weapon”, the world over? You can get into the VATICAN with this fairly impressive “noodle knocker”… the humble WOODEN CANE. Ever been hit with one? Just swing for the seats, bet no one gets near you, lol…

wow guys, you are going way off subject, all he wanted is something small that will fit in a suitcase or in his pocket.

You need to look at Nitecore EC11
Seriously check it out!

Super small, super bright 900 lumens, super easy to get into strobe mode !

I don’t think getting into stabbing range against someone who possible has a knife would be a good idea, no matter how big your crenelations are.

One of the reasons I like to have a long wrist strap on my lights. Gives you the option of swinging it at their head while being a step back.
Of course if they just want my wallet I’d rather toss it over than engage with them.

Normally the purpose of the strobe would be to disorient them for a few seconds, so that you can apply your knife to them.

If you are a fighter, then that light in post 11 looks like a pretty good weapon if you can’t have anything else, if you aren’t good at fighting and grappling, then carry two of them and make your hands something pretty wicked, that light looks like it could get a lot of scalp and facial bleeding started pretty quickly, and deliver some serious blows, blows that would also be tearing flesh.

Well, I purchased an M2. I looked over my Zeusray and - although it is very bright - it probably won’t survive hitting a hard surface very well.
I don’t know if it will arrive in time for this trip but I have it available for future excursions.

I carry pepper spray in my pocket and the M2 is a bit bigger but it should be ok for short-term carry - at least when I have no other options.

My strategy will be something along the lines of this:

and this:

I believe in never being completely unarmed. Even if what you have with you is not ideal or very effective it still - psychologically - gets you into a more prepared and alert mindset - which is at least half the battle.

It’s been mentioned by others but I’d also consider a tactical pen too with the torch. I have a couple and they very nasty things if used. The key in all this is not to be placed ina situation where you need to resort to self defense. It is good however to be prepared if it did unexpectidley occur.

Lots of good advice by people here on the topic.

Well, the trip is over. And wouldn’t you know it my wife was attacked on our first freaking day within the first hour of being there.

We got to Paris and took a subway to the first stop of our trip. A few steps out of the station and whamo! something hit the back of my wife’s head. Strangely enough it was a bag of popcorn of all things. Some stoned out homeless man for no reason had thrown it at her (me?) and with ungodly precision hit her square in the back of the head with it from about 15 feet away. Had it been a rock, brick, or anything hard she’d likely have opened her head up and been in a world of hurt. Instead it just frightened her deeply and was very upsetting. An hour into a foreign country and we had been attacked. Thankfully, it was soft popcorn and the bum just continued mumbling to himself animatedly and wandered off. We got the hell out of there in a hurry (and ended up having a great trip).

You can be sure that in those few seconds when I was unsure of what the next move was - fight or flight - I had some small measure of gratefullness that I had an extremely hard aluminum “pipe” (flashlight) in my hand that I was going to use to start hammering away at the guy had he rushed at us or continued his craziness. I don’t know what the outcome would have been but getting hit with that flashlight would have caused a lot of pain on his end. And I was glad I had some form of defensive/protective force multiplier.

Wherever I go I will make sure to have something with me. Lesson well learned.

Glad you enjoyed the trip… well I have heard that Paris was said as the city of love but a friend of mind described it as a city of filth filled with beggars and hobos :frowning:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/watch-swedish-police-show-nypd/

Too late, I know. If you really need something to feel safe when in countries that don't allow you to carry self defence weaponry, then develop a slight limp and get a sturdy cane. And do some training with it. There are plenty of stick/cane self defence videos on the youtube.

If someone asks you are not really handicapped at all but are recovering from a ankle injury and want to avoid putting too much strain on the leg while it is newly healed and the leg is not fully muscled up. You are almost fully healed, but it still hurts sometimes, especially after long walks. Your limp may even be psychosomatic, at least that is what your doctor said, but she also said it couldn't hurt to use a cane for a few weeks more. And you really feel better just carrying the cane. And so on and on...

I’m looking forward to build myself a budget tactical flashlight too. Any idea is there any suitable forward clicky switch for the Convoy M2?