Zoomie Ultrafire CREE XM-L T6 2000lm 5 Modes Zoomable LED Flashlight

Could you not defocus it slightly?

Yeah, but couldn’t be bothered. I put an MT-G2 in there to test the fully focused beam and didn’t like it. So I stuck it into a Convoy M1 and then a C8, and liked that much more. After that the MT-G2 never found it’s way back to a zoomie of mine.

That’s an expensive one! I hope you post some beam shots when you’re done.

Why would you chose a host for a 20W LED that has absolutely NO heatsinking?
In a host like the one linked by the OP, a MT-G2 overheats in seconds…

What do you mean NO heatsinking? Has a solid alu pill that is screwed in to the host, just like many non zoomie lights. Only difference is that the head can’t suck up heat as it’s sliding over an o-ring, but the rest of the host sucks it up like any other. I can’t see it heating up that much faster than a Convoy M1.

Looks like a nice LED. Too bad it’s at end of life. No body has any in stock. :_(

So how hard can it be driven? How many amps and how many lumin?

What are you looking at? end of life, are you thinking of the old SST’s (50 and 90)? The SBT-70 and SBT-90 are new, so new infact the datasheet’s arent even complete yet. I got the SBT-70 I’m putting in my Z1 from a nitecore TM36 (I’m building with an XP-L V6 for a customer for max throw). Tho I got mine from a stock light you can order them one at a time right now from DK, I think I saw newark had them in stock too.

Factory rating (on NON-DTP Aluminum) is to 10.5A, no data yet on DPT copper performance (they fit easily on MT-G2 noctigon’s). I’m hoping I can overdrive it to about 2400Lm (somewhere around 13-15A).

note the number one reason I’m doing this in a zoomie (other than cause I can and cause I like to have my stuff be as different as possible from everyone else’s) is because of the round die.

I like the fact that they also have a cool white option instead of only having orange or yellow like the MT-G2. As for zoomies, most of my lights are zoomies because I like to have options.

The specs look awesome.
http://www.luminus.com/products/Luminus_SBT70_Datasheet.pdf

This should be the same as the M1?
The M1 is able of getting rid of some heat - this zoomy isn’t.
So, once the aluminum is filled with heat, it stays there and the 20$ LED gets way too hot.

I have only a few zoom lights - 5 SK68 and 3 SK98. Why? Because they cool the LED - not perfect, but they do. Both better than this one and you would never put a MT-G2 in a Sipik SK68 - would you?

I wouldn’t feel good, if I use a XM-L(2) with more than 1.5Amps in this host - but a MT-G2? I couldn’t sleep anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

There are better hosts aout there. Without zoom. But with that LED, you don’t need a zoom.

Good find on that datasheet. The one I was reading didnt have any mean lifetime data or even the typical spectrum.

Don’t quite follow you there. As the zoomy host is warming up it is getting rid of heat. I’ve run XM-L2s at over 4amps with my zoomies for about 5 minutes, quickly took of the head and felt the pill. Mildly warm, just like the host. The host is indeed sucking up heat. I wouldn’t have a problem sticking an MT-G2 in there if it wasn’t for the beam. When the host warms up I’d know it’s time to step down.

BG has a one-cell version of the originally posted light:
Ultrafire CREE XML T6 1800LM 5 mode Zoomable LED Flashlight (SKU062933)

I’ve been poking around for a zoom that handles 26650 cells, been seeing more such show up lately but don’t know for sure if any have solid pills or otherwise good heat handling.
I’m sticking to single-cell lights for li-ions, because I figure I’m not smart enough to be trusted to make sure two li-ions are properly balanced, every single time forever as I get older.

Does the smooth bezel big lens one have an extension tube, or is is 2x only?

Has anyone bought the light in Post #5 BG SKU # 084036 ? Is the Head DIA. 42mm or ?