Zoomie

Now I’ve scratched the L6 itch (OT: what a light!) I’ve got a gap in my flashlight collection and it’s for a zoomie - the only zoomies I currently own are SK68’s and a Lenser T7.

A quick bit of digging brings me to the Brinyte B158 or 158B (what’s the difference btw?)
I also heard Sunwayman mentioned?

Out of preference I favour throw and don’t plan to mod it (unless we’re talking very simple, minimal tools modding.)

What should I be looking at?

Hi tenohfive!

I wrote a review Sunwayman T25C. In Hungarian, but the site is also translator. I think that is a brinyte B158 XPL-HI can throw better than sunwayman. The T25C is not a bright light.

The only difference between B158 and B158B is a thinner body.
I have a B158B direct drive with a dedomed xp-g2…that is some serious kCd !

Left : B158B dedomed xp-g2 DD
Right : C8 XP-L HI SMO reflector FET driver

The b158 is a nicely built light. It’s a bit bulky though, I should really try the b version. Any deals on the b version any where?

Edit: does the b version have the same size optic as the standard lens?

GB has them for about 28$, that’s where I bought mine.
I can measure the lens when I’m at home but I highly expect it to be exactly the same.

In this thread Mitko says he gets 580k cds from his UF-1504

… and 335k cds from his Brynite B158

Neither are stock, de-domed XP-G2, I think.

All else being ~equal a larger lens will out-throw a smaller one, within in the optical quality levels we are discussing here.

Like you, I wanted a Zoom light to fill that gap and throw. I am content with an UF-1504 with an XPL-HI-V3 and a ME DD-FET driver. It throws out a focused square die image several hundred meters easily…. which is as far out as I care to see. For comparison sakes it will out reach my stock Convoy L6 by 2~3 times easily, possibly more. Not too shabby for a box stock build, simple tools and my limited DIY skills. That’s $45 in parts from a BLF respected USA retailer. I also prefer the single 26650 cell form, so that simple factor kind of tips it in my favor.

A de-domed XP-G2 upgrade would be my next step up from here. I need to learn how to de-dome an emitter though first.

And don’t forget to take the Jaxman Z1 into account, that too isba very nice zoomed :wink:

Z1 is a bit pricey unless it’s on a deal somewhere, and the UF-1504 is tricky to find (and similar price.) How does the 1405 stack up against the B158 and 1504, Z1 etc?

1405 is essentially identical to 1504 but longer with 2 cells

1504 is so bulky and heavy, never use mine.
The zooming of the Z1 is so nice (smooth and wherever you stop the zoom it stays without rattle.
No experience with the Brinyte.

Woah, how did I not hear that the B158B is now available? The B158 is my favorite aspheric, but I really don’t care for the big lugs.

I bought some B158 hosts directly from Brinyte a few months back. I asked if I could get the B158B and was told from Martin at Brinyte:

Huh I wonder if they made an exclusivity agreement with Odepro for the US :question:

so? have someone in another country buy it,and ship it to you…

Correct… I skipped the 1405. 8.4V Buck FET drivers that do enough current to justify the mass of these hosts are usually more $$$ than a 4.2V driver.

Both of my cometas work great. I know a lot of folks had issues, so I held off on group buy and bought used ones that were checked out. YMMV.