Difference between Opus BT-C3400 & BT-C3100 v2.1?

747 posts / 0 new
Last post
wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.
gauss163 wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
It is NOT the SMPS. Jon from L.ionwholsale took care of me again. I could go on an on about how good he has been to me.

That’s truly superb customer service.

wolfdog1226 wrote:
I just looked at the wires of the fan and they were burnt!! Do not forget that it worked over an hour until I tried modding it more and filing the board, so it would fit better.

[…] So ,,,when I plugged in the adapter to the charger, the charger was on. That is when I saw a small spark and nothing happened ,,dead. that is no doubt when the fan shorted and in turn shorted the charger

Is it possible that your splice shorted? Where did you see the spark? If it was at the barrel/plug then this is normal – caused by the high inrush current as the Opus caps charge up. If the spark was elsewhere then that could be the culprit.

If the Delta fan is drawing much more power then the original, then this could be one possible problem. Probably wise to ask Henry Xu what the limits are.

wolfdog1226 wrote:
damn,,,I did not think of that,,,,,filing the fiberglass and breathing in a little dust,it was not much filing,,,,,,,but still I am not doing that again unless I wear my Dr.‘s mask!

Yeah, probably not enough to be of much concern, but I thought it worth mention since many folks are not aware of this hazard.

The spark was on the exterior where the barrel plug inserts.

As you can see from my prior post I have just about had it w/ Opus.

I will probably take this back and give it one more shot and that is it.

Again, the last one was perfect,,,this one seems to be the norm.

I do not know if others look at the charger as much as me. i look at it every few minutes when I get a new one.

This one and has the same SMPS[Lite-on] same fan[5v original],,,,,why can’t it discharge the 4 batteries like my opus that just died???

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

gauss163
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 18:04
Posts: 676
Location: USA
wolfdog1226 wrote:
This one and has the same SMPS[Lite-on] same fan[5v original],,,,,why can’t it discharge the 4 batteries like my opus that just died???

If they have the same firmware, then it may boil down to differences in component tolerances, e.g. your original unit may be measuring slightly different temps than the new one, so it might not trigger the thermal pause till slightly higher temps. If your test pushes it very close to the thermal limits, then even slight differences in tolerances will cause different behaviors.

OTOH, if the new unit has newer firmware, then it is possible that Opus lowered the temp at which the thermal pause is triggered.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.
gauss163 wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
This one and has the same SMPS[Lite-on] same fan[5v original],,,,,why can’t it discharge the 4 batteries like my opus that just died???

If they have the same firmware, then it may boil down to differences in component tolerances, e.g. your original unit may be measuring slightly different temps than the new one, so it might not trigger the thermal pause till slightly higher temps. If your test pushes it very close to the thermal limits, then even slight differences in tolerances will cause different behaviors.

OTOH, if the new unit has newer firmware, then it is possible that Opus lowered the temp at which the thermal pause is triggered.

Jon has 9 opus left. this is the last of the batch that I first got. Same exact version from March when he had about 80 left.

It all makes sense now. The charger is designed to STOP when the sensor senses too much heat[above 40C]. When it cools the discharge continues..

The reason why my last one was so accurate in discharge tests is because it NEVER stopped! When they stop, the batteries rise about 0.03v to 0.06v. I watched this. So then the charger has discharge the same few hundredths of a volt over and over until discharge is complete.

My last charger discharged my Orbtronics in 2h 48m. This one is just like the other 3. It has been 2h30m and its @ 3.54v!. It will be 4 hours before its done. The RESULT,,,I bet the capacities will be way off,,,,too high!

The delta fan was awesome,,It was like a hair dryer,not overly loud,so efficient at moving the air[CFM]. You could feel the difference and also hear it…..the pitch was a little higher. Guaranteed if I found someone who could splice better or completely rewire it, I would NEVER have this problem again

Bottom line,,this charger needs a better SMPS[I have it] and a better fan,,,I have it but it needs to be modified. I am obsessed to get that fan in there but do not trust my abilities,maybe Dale?

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

fmc1
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 05/15/2017 - 20:23
Posts: 2
Location: Long Island NY

It seems to me that the 25×25×9mm size fan is a real odd ball.

I checked Mouser, Jamco, digi-key and Newark none of them sell a 25×25×9mm 12v axial fan. They all have lots of 25×25×10mm fans.

Papst has a 25×25×8mm in their catalog that I’m sure you could shim to fit but because it’s Papst I’m sure the price will be the 25 dollar range if not higher.

I would hate to can my charger because the fan died and I can find a replacement.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.

fmc1 wrote:
It seems to me that the 25×25×9mm size fan is a real odd ball.

I checked Mouser, Jamco, digi-key and Newark none of them sell a 25×25×9mm 12v axial fan. They all have lots of 25×25×10mm fans.

Papst has a 25×25×8mm in their catalog that I’m sure you could shim to fit but because it’s Papst I’m sure the price will be the 25 dollar range if not higher.

I would hate to can my charger because the fan died and I can find a replacement.

Hi welcome to BLF. Cool

I have plenty of fans that fit this charger. They just do not have the CFM[air movement] to do the job. That is most of the problem because my Lite-on SMPS is superior to the SMPS Opus gives!

Last night I ruined the best charger and it was the only one[out of 4] that could discharge from start to finish without stopping.I still have the fan. It is the exact same as the one in the charger I just got today….never know it may be better. that is my next step becuase this discharge test is 3h 10 minites and the batteries are only 3.40v. Same batteries in my now dead charger completed the discharge[2.8v] NON STOP in 2h48m!

I still have 2 delta fans,,,,,,,,,they will do the job and the charger will have no problem keeping the Opus cool.

,,,sorry for rambling!

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 428
Location: Swampland,La

Instead of Modding the board or the new case—try modifying the old lower case so where the fan fits—I don’t understand all these problems you’re having—my 2 chargers never give me these problems—-I only do charge/discharge test when the cells are new and when they are older—-most of the time I charge only with an older Xtar and if I feel like working backwards the Littokala

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 2977
Location: NE & SW Alabama

gauss163 wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
It is NOT the SMPS. Jon from L.ionwholsale took care of me again. I could go on an on about how good he has been to me.
That’s truly superb customer service.
+1 to that! Above & beyond. Smile . Very impressive. Thumbs Up

wolfdog1226 wrote:
Honestly I think I have had it w/ this charger,,,maybe one more shot.

This is doing the same thing as the Other 2 chargers,,IT CAN NOT DISCHARGE 4 X 18650 @ 1AMP W/ out stopping for 3 minutes everytime it gets too hot.

I changed SMPS, I changed fans,,,,,,,,,,,same result w/ The exception was the one that just broke,,,,,,,,,,IT CONTINUOUSLY DISCHARGED THE BATTERIES WITHOUT EVER STOPPING. It discharged my Orbtronic in 2h48m. at the 45 minute mark the voltage was 3.83V.This charger has been charging 1h25m and its only at 3.73v,guaranteed it will stop again in the next few minutes and rise to 3.78 or higher.

I know for a fact that someone who uses these a lot and in numbers only puts 3 batteries in for charge/test.

Just so I am sure I am understanding correctly.
With the OPUS you just got from Liion W’sale to replace the “killed” one… we are back to square one? Except this time it is happening when using the LiteOn power supply?
Oh my….. Facepalm

      You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load. / Paul "Bear" Bryant ~/~\~ "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast"

        Texas Lumens Flashlights  <>   M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$

         Rudeness Level /\ mΩ /\ {width:70%} /\ LightWiki /\ LED Tint Chart /\ LED Tint Picture /\ Xlamp size chart /\ BatteryU                   Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???   wink   /\ TheOriginal /\ TAB /\ LightSearch /\ BatterySearch /\ 14500's /\ DiCal                                                       

Speed4goal
Online
Last seen: 14 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 06/11/2016 - 13:03
Posts: 701
Location: Gulf Coast USA

I’m sorry your having issues with the brand new opus, as chops said I’ve never had issues, I test new batteries, and lots of pack pulls. Then as cells age I’ll retest them.

Bad luck you have I guess never heard of a unit reach thermal cutoff from regular operation. Only the reset when charging 4 cells all around low three volts. Maybe you put the old fan you kept in. Or get a small deskfan to blow on it.

You know what your orbtronics normally test as capacity wise. Compare it with the new ones. I have a feeling they won’t be far off. When a load is removed the voltages increases. When reapplied it will drop back where it was. The energy was used out of the batteries. It shouldn’t change the results much if any. Run a light down to the 2.8 cutoff it jumps back around 3 volts but that energy density is used up. Turning the light back on will shut it back off shortly

Speed4goal
Online
Last seen: 14 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 06/11/2016 - 13:03
Posts: 701
Location: Gulf Coast USA

Not the same issues of power cycling, its reaching thermal cut off tempature inside the unit suspending the discharge or charge until the temp decreases

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.

I will try to answer all the questions in this post.

I ruined my charger last night,,,Jon did not replace it, he gave me a very good deal on a new one.

Every Opus[had four] I owned or tried worked. They have variances. The Best one which I ruined last night was the ONLY one that never stopped[because of heat] during the discharge cycle,,Therefore it was MORE accurate because it did not measure mAh again after stoppage.I actually watched these chargers once the mA read“0”. sometimes they stop for 2 minutes or more until the batteries cool. The voltage goes up b/w 0.03v and 0.06v during stoppage. That is measured again,hence the inaccuracy.This happened every 7 to 8 minutes with this new charger.

Basically the longer it takes to discharge the higher the mAh reading and more Inaccurate those readings are.This is after using the same batteries and comparing time of discharge and capacity results.

Before I forget. My Orbtronic comparisons were in a post earlier today.New charger was around 45 minutes longer and was ~175mAh higher.[Four slot median]

What I have simply determined in the last few hours is this. A fan like the delta would eliminate this problem. also, the variance in the charger also plays a role because this new charger has the Lite-on as did yesterdays catastrophe. So I put old chargers fan in new charger and it STILL has stoppages. That tells me something is a little different electronically,,i have no idea what it may be.

I will admit I am more picky than most. I also am a great observer and write these stats down and also watch the charger when it is stopping. So I am not imagining the inconsistencies, I may be bothered by them more.

I am driven to get this or another charger to work like the deceased one! Like HKJ said, more air flow should solve your problem. I believe that. sometimes you have to improvise in order to eliminate an imperfection.

I have 6 X 4BAY quality chargers. the ONLY reason I got the Opus is for relatively accurate Capacity tests. The One I have now[after two tests] seems to be the most inaccurate of the Four.

I know I did not say exactly everything I wanted to. Those thought have escaped me. It bothered me a lot that I ruined the Opus becuase i knew that it would be difficult to find one as accurate.

I may drive you nuts along w/ myself,,but I am determined to get this one or the next one to be as accurate as the deceased Mr. opus.

I emailed someone to splice/rewire/mod my remaining Two Delta fans,,,,,THAT IS THE SOLUTION FOR THIS CHARGER,,I AM CONVINCED,,,,,,,,,MORE AIRFLOW! Thumbs Up

If I fogrot anything I am sorry,I am a bit delirious today,actuall 4 days in a row w/ not enogh sleep,,,good night,,,good weekend,,,,,,,,,,,,Capolini/wolfodg/Camilli/Volpini!!!

EDIT:I THOUGHT I POSTED THE CHARGE/TEST RESULTS EARLIER…HERE THEY ARE:

This is with the same 4 × 18650 Orbtronic batteries and discharged @1amp.These batteries were cycled 470 times bought on 12.21.2012.

Old charger:Time:2h48m Four slot median:2784mAh Done last week.

New charger: Time:3h34m. Four slot median:2955mAh

Diff: 46 minutes/171mAh. I do not mind the extra time but it correlates with the Inaccurate capacities.

My final test in the KP 4 X 18650. I will have those results before I go to bed,,,,,,,,,,,,I would guess at least 150Mah off and an additional[minimal] 50 minutes more time. I will EDIT and post that tonight.

In order to get a better comparison of these tests and how accurate Mr. Deceased Opus was.This is a good barometer.

30 Q Brand new-

HKJ-2884mah…………….Opus Four slot median:2910mAh

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

gauss163
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 18:04
Posts: 676
Location: USA

^^^ Do you have any idea how many pauses occurred in the tests that reported higher capacity?

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.
gauss163 wrote:
^^^ Do you have any idea how many pauses occurred in the tests that reported higher capacity?

Good question,,,I do not think I WOULD have the patience to watch it for 3.5/4.0hours!

I would bet at least 15 times. I estimate every 7 or 8 minutes w/ 2 minutes rest. Add that up and we will Say every 10 minutes[including rest]…6 times/Hour times 3.5 hours plus.,,,,,,,,,,,that is 21 times. It slows down a little around 3.3v. FINAL ANSWER IS 18……….I bet I would be within 3!

You ask me a question,,,,,It can be a long winded answer.

These KP are only @ 3.56v after 2h 33m!! .

EDIT: This is my experience with Four BT-C3100.

They either STOP/REST/RECOVER for the entire discharge OR they do not do it at all[KING OPUS].

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.

I have Two announcements:

1. I am determined, obsessed and possessed to get this or my final attempt Opus charger to Run like “KING OPUS”. That will be its new name!

2. Jon[owner L.ION] and Dominic his main man both told me that they will only use 3 X 18650 when doing discharge tests. Primarily because of the RESET problem right near transition of Discharge/Charge. That happened w/ two of mine.

Secondarily most likely because STOP/REST/RECOVER issue that we have been talking about on/off for 6 weeks or so!

…..

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 428
Location: Swampland,La

I’m doing a discharge test right now with 4 VTC5 —so far it’s been cranking hard 1:02 with a reading of 1022 no resets
I’ve never had that problem with this 3400 my 3100 is at the camp—
So I’d say my 3400 is King Opus——JK—-the damm thing will most likely break now—-LOL

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.
chops728 wrote:
I’m doing a discharge test right now with 4 VTC5 —so far it’s been cranking hard 1:02 with a reading of 1022 no resets I’ve never had that problem with this 3400 my 3100 is at the camp— So I’d say my 3400 is King Opus——JK—-the damm thing will most likely break now—-LOL

VTC5 are only 2600 mAh not 3400mAh Wink

My solution[s] are in my next post

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 428
Location: Swampland,La
wolfdog1226 wrote:
chops728 wrote:
I’m doing a discharge test right now with 4 VTC5 —so far it’s been cranking hard 1:02 with a reading of 1022 no resets I’ve never had that problem with this 3400 my 3100 is at the camp— So I’d say my 3400 is King Opus——JK—-the damm thing will most likely break now—-LOL

VTC5 are only 2600 mAh not 3400mAh Wink

My solution[s] are in my next post

what are you saying—that it will only fail with a 3400mah cell—- Ive done 100s of cells without any kind of failure that you’re talking about—just recently tested and matched 26/ 30Qs not one interruption—that’s with the stock(better PS)

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.

  Opus Solutions-"Utilizing my ideas along with others"

 

"TRIPLE COMBO"

1.Cut some vents in the bottom of the Opus.

2.***Elevate Mr. Opus entirely with "Mr. Slab Of Steel"

3. Use an external fan to blow on Mr. Opus!

 

Try this until "The Delta Destroyers" are back in commission.

 

***Mr. "SLAB OF STEEL" reduced the external temperature of my FENIX ARE-C2 From 132F down to 90Fcoolcoolcool

 

LINK BELOW FOR SLAB OF STEEL...Groundbreaking discovery implemented by "Your average Joe Hobbyist",,"Wolfdog"!

 

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/53879

 

 

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.
chops728 wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
chops728 wrote:
I’m doing a discharge test right now with 4 VTC5 —so far it’s been cranking hard 1:02 with a reading of 1022 no resets I’ve never had that problem with this 3400 my 3100 is at the camp— So I’d say my 3400 is King Opus——JK—-the damm thing will most likely break now—-LOL

VTC5 are only 2600 mAh not 3400mAh Wink

My solution[s] are in my next post

what are you saying—that it will only fail with a 3400mah cell

For the most part YES. I have to do more testing to see how this one will fare,,,I would think the same results as the other 2 that did this: As long as it is NOT 4 X 3400mAh it can usually handle it, although Jon had ones reset w/ 4 X 3000mAh.

I will bet when I discharge 2 or 3 of the same batteries the results will be more accurate.

Two Issues with these chargers.That have been determined with a lot of help from others and my vigorous testing and stats!

1.Resetting near the transition from discharge to charge[this has prompted Jon NOT to discharge 4 × 18650]SOLUTION: My LITE-ON SMPS 12V/5.5A/66W.

2. The charger STOPPING because it is too hot and only resumes when the temp. is below 40C/104F. SOLUTIONS: a fan with excellent CFM[Ability to move air],,,,,Delta 12v/0.12a/1.44watts!

I have experienced that with 3 out of the 4 Opus.chargers I have had

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 428
Location: Swampland,La

To start off with your charger is stopping it’s discharge way before the end(heat) and restarting— so cell size has nothing to do with it
All I know is I have two of them and they work perfect—good luck with all your testing

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 2977
Location: NE & SW Alabama

I’ll admit I am a bit confused… not terminally confused mind you, just a bit confused. Big Smile

1. The initial problem mentioned was a “reset” shortly after the discharge cycle had ended & the charge cycle had begun. This problem was identified as happening when 4 × 18650 cells were being tested.
This is what my charger was doing also, nothing more.
The solution to this was replacing the inadequate power supply with an adequate SMPS.
As far as I can recall, no mention was made by anyone at the time of their charger stopping during discharge because of “heat” related issues.
Sooooooo….

2. Is this a newly discovered issue?
Mine has not & does not do that. When was this issue first discovered?

Just attempting to keep up. Smile

      You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load. / Paul "Bear" Bryant ~/~\~ "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast"

        Texas Lumens Flashlights  <>   M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$

         Rudeness Level /\ mΩ /\ {width:70%} /\ LightWiki /\ LED Tint Chart /\ LED Tint Picture /\ Xlamp size chart /\ BatteryU                   Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???   wink   /\ TheOriginal /\ TAB /\ LightSearch /\ BatterySearch /\ 14500's /\ DiCal                                                       

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 428
Location: Swampland,La

I think the problem started when a fan was replaced —I’m not sure though

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.
chops728 wrote:
To start off with your charger is stopping it’s discharge way before the end(heat) and restarting— so cell size has nothing to do with it All I know is I have two of them and they work perfect—good luck with all your testing

It is the total mAh CAPACITY! More capacity/More work/more heat!

4 x VTC5[2600mAh] = 10,400mAh

4 X K’power 3400mAh= 13,600mAH Additional 3200mah!

That is like an extra battery. That is why w/ 3 × 18650 3400Mah the charger does NOT have problems.

If you read the manual it will tell you about “WHY” the charger stops/starts again during Discharge or when the batteries get above 40C/104F.

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 428
Location: Swampland,La

You’re still not explaining why the heat is building up and shutting the charger off early in the Discharge cycle—at that point the charger has no idea what size the cell is—I usually don’t read manuals(I don’t have those problems—why would I)—when something gives me too much trouble —I toss them

gauss163
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 18:04
Posts: 676
Location: USA

^^^ Maybe his cells have higher IR than yours, maybe his ambient temp is higher, maybe convection cooling is poorer, etc.There are so many parameters that come into play that it is nontrivial to make meaningful comparisons.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 2977
Location: NE & SW Alabama
wolfdog1226 wrote:
chops728 wrote:
To start off with your charger is stopping it’s discharge way before the end(heat) and restarting— so cell size has nothing to do with it All I know is I have two of them and they work perfect—good luck with all your testing

It is the total mAh CAPACITY! More capacity/More work/more heat!

4 x VTC5[2600mAh] = 10,400mAh

4 X K’power 3400mAh= 13,600mAH Additional 3200mah!

That is like an extra battery. That is why w/ 3 × 18650 3400Mah the charger does NOT have problems.

If you read the manual it will tell you about “WHY” the charger stops/starts again during Discharge or when the batteries get above 40C/104F.

That is all well and good. But none of it answers the questions I asked.

In addition mine does not do it with 4 x Sanyo NCR18650GA’s…. 3500mAh each.
4 x Sanyo GA’s [3500mAh ea.] = 14,000mAh … Additional 400mAh from the K’powers

What I am asking is quoted again below……

teacher wrote:

1. The initial problem mentioned was a “reset” shortly after the discharge cycle had ended & the charge cycle had begun. This problem was identified as happening when 4 × 18650 cells were being tested.
This is what my charger was doing also, nothing more.
The solution to this was replacing the inadequate power supply with an adequate SMPS.
As far as I can recall, no mention was made by anyone at the time of their charger stopping during discharge because of “heat” related issues.
Sooooooo….

2. Is this a newly discovered issue?
Mine has not & does not do that. When was this issue first discovered?

      You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load. / Paul "Bear" Bryant ~/~\~ "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast"

        Texas Lumens Flashlights  <>   M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$

         Rudeness Level /\ mΩ /\ {width:70%} /\ LightWiki /\ LED Tint Chart /\ LED Tint Picture /\ Xlamp size chart /\ BatteryU                   Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???   wink   /\ TheOriginal /\ TAB /\ LightSearch /\ BatterySearch /\ 14500's /\ DiCal                                                       

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 428
Location: Swampland,La

teacher——-I tried to answer you as far as I know from reading here—I thought the first instance of the New problem was when Wolfdog tried the replacement fans—yesterday he mentioned that other 3100 had this shutting down on discharge problem

gauss163—I thought about the IR after my last post—most of my cells are low resistance—as far as ambient temp—I have mentioned my wife keeps this house like a meat cooler—-one of the things I see is—all of his chargers are/maybe coming from the same lot

the only way I could make my 3400 replicate the first discharge/charge reset was to use my Littokala 2amp PS—-with this PS as soon as you tried to charge 4 cells @ 1 amp it reset

gauss163
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 18:04
Posts: 676
Location: USA
chops728 wrote:
gauss163—I thought about the IR after my last post—most of my cells are low resistance—as far as ambient temp—I have mentioned my wife keeps this house like a meat cooler—-one of the things I see is—all of his chargers are/maybe coming from the same lot

I don’t recall which cells he’s using now, but many of his prior runs used cells with many cycles, so presumably higher IR (so higher heat). So that’s one possible difference between his tests and yours.

chops728 wrote:
the only way I could make my 3400 replicate the first discharge/charge reset was to use my Littokala 2amp PS—-with this PS as soon as you tried to charge 4 cells @ 1 amp it reset

That’s to be expected, since you wrote that you have the earlier-supplied APD WA-36A12U power supply, not the later-supplied problematic KYT120300BV power supply.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.
teacher wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
chops728 wrote:
To start off with your charger is stopping it’s discharge way before the end(heat) and restarting— so cell size has nothing to do with it All I know is I have two of them and they work perfect—good luck with all your testing

It is the total mAh CAPACITY! More capacity/More work/more heat!

4 x VTC5[2600mAh] = 10,400mAh

4 X K’power 3400mAh= 13,600mAH Additional 3200mah!

That is like an extra battery. That is why w/ 3 × 18650 3400Mah the charger does NOT have problems.

If you read the manual it will tell you about “WHY” the charger stops/starts again during Discharge or when the batteries get above 40C/104F.

That is all well and good. But none of it answers the questions I asked.

In addition mine does not do it with 4 x Sanyo NCR18650GA’s…. 3500mAh each.
4 x Sanyo GA’s [3500mAh ea.] = 14,000mAh … Additional 400mAh from the K’powers

What I am asking is quoted again below……

teacher wrote:

1. The initial problem mentioned was a “reset” shortly after the discharge cycle had ended & the charge cycle had begun. This problem was identified as happening when 4 × 18650 cells were being tested.
This is what my charger was doing also, nothing more.
The solution to this was replacing the inadequate power supply with an adequate SMPS.
As far as I can recall, no mention was made by anyone at the time of their charger stopping during discharge because of “heat” related issues.
Sooooooo….

2. Is this a newly discovered issue?
Mine has not & does not do that. When was this issue first discovered?

I understand teacher! Your charger is just like King Opus that I killed,,,,,It has NO issues,be grateful. I have had 2 chargers that could not handle 4 × 18650,that is why I am determined to get this one or another one working like it should.

The results I post later will show the difference b/w 3 or 4 batteries discharged when you have a charger like the one I have now. Lastly, Jon only discharges 3 batteries at a time because of this issue and the other[reset] that I mentioned in a post yesterday!

HKJ and I have been exchanging emails/photos of my board. He has been tremendous help in pin pointing the destruction of King Opus. I will post that later.

My fans are in the mail to Dale! Thumbs Up

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 1142
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa.

I am testing 4 X 30Q Now,,,10 cycles only,,basically new. I will find out soon enough if it stops or if it can handle 12,000mAh. It could not handle 13,600mAh[4 x KP 3400.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Although not mind boggling this will give you an idea what the difference is in charging 3 X 18650 3400 VS. 4 X 18650 3400. Same KeepPower batteries.

I believe this is evidence that numerous stoppages during discharge directly relates to over blown and inaccurate capacity readings.

- 4 X 18650 3400mAh Keeppower-Numerous stoppages ~15 lasting 90 sec. to 2 minutes.

Four slot median:3278mah

Average time: 3h55m

-3 X 18650 3400mAh KeepPower

Four slot median: 3096mAh

Average time: 3h3m

Difference: 282mAh and 52 minutes longer for the 4 × 18650 3400mAh

Obviously the stoppages ADD time and the also add mAh because as the battery rests, the voltage goes up ~0.03v to 0.06v and that is measured AGAIN!

The solution, other than what I am trying to do[Delta destroyer] is to do what Jon does and only put 3 batteries in!! I can not accept that,,,at least now I won’t!

A failure is not a failure unless we fail to recognize that something needs to be changed.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 2977
Location: NE & SW Alabama

chops728 wrote:
I think the problem started when a fan was replaced —I’m not sure though
chops728 wrote:
teacher——-I tried to answer you as far as I know from reading here—I thought the first instance of the New problem was when Wolfdog tried the replacement fans—yesterday he mentioned that other 3100 had this shutting down on discharge problem
And a stellar job you did my Louisiana friend. Thumbs Up .. Smile
Thank you. Wink

All I was attempting to ascertain was when the heat problem was first noticed as wolfdog has now mentioned it has happened in 3 of his 4 OPUS chargers.(1)

“I” did not recall any of that being mentioned until the last day or two.

  • So I was trying to determine if this had been an occurrence all along and just not been mentioned OR if I had missed the mention of it in all this vast quantity of material. Smile

Nothing more nothing less……. Smile

————————-
(1)

wolfdog1226 wrote:

I have experienced that with 3 out of the 4 Opus.chargers I have had

      You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load. / Paul "Bear" Bryant ~/~\~ "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast"

        Texas Lumens Flashlights  <>   M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$

         Rudeness Level /\ mΩ /\ {width:70%} /\ LightWiki /\ LED Tint Chart /\ LED Tint Picture /\ Xlamp size chart /\ BatteryU                   Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???   wink   /\ TheOriginal /\ TAB /\ LightSearch /\ BatterySearch /\ 14500's /\ DiCal                                                       

Pages