Convoy S2+ new firmware (biscotti) memory mode jammed

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheAuditor
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 06:33
Posts: 333
Location: United Kingdom

I have recently received a purple S2+ with biscotti and it has stuck on memory mode and will not change. Apart from reflashing is there any other fix for it apart from a new driver?

I have messaged Simon as I have two of these with a third on the way and don’t want to find they all have the same issue.

Bonum commune communitatis.

Yarp.

varbos
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/16/2017 - 07:36
Posts: 380
Location: Europe

TheAuditor wrote:
I have recently received a purple S2+ with biscotti and it has stuck on memory mode and will not change. Apart from reflashing is there any other fix for it apart from a new driver?

I have messaged Simon as I have two of these with a third on the way and don’t want to find they all have the same issue.


I’m very unimpressed with this … in late 2018 Simon is still sending out flashlights which are too fast, and also apparently he is still sending ones with broken memory toggle. The pruple is a brand new model and these are problems known for over 1 year.

On this site many praise him but this is really terrible QC, or lack of regard for customers, or both. Maybe he was better in the past?

To answer your question, there is no trick or workaround that I am aware of. You need to reflash or get a new driver.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1698
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

So, been reading through this thread (and a few others) and I count my lucky stars that the two Biscotti Convoys I have, both with the overclocked first-batch boards, work perfectly fine for me.

Legit the only issue I have (and it affects both torches) is that on the mode group select, starting on group 7 all groups blink one less time than their respective group number (group 6 blinks 6 times, then group 7 also blinks 6 times, group 8 blinks 7 times, and so it goes), so I’ve gotten used to counting the second-long lulls between groups and it’s worked well by me thus far, so I can live with it.

lexvegas
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/24/2018 - 14:20
Posts: 91
Location: USA

My new drivers arrived yesterday, so hopefully I will be able to work something out. I do have to admit that while I love what Convoy is making, Simon’s lack of “QC” is bothering me. Getting a S2+/XPL HI with biscotti, a brand new offering, shouldn’t result in busted drivers being sent.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9745
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
lexvegas wrote:
Yeah, I’m more wondering which branch is “final”. I’m not familiar with bzr at all, so I’ve been using the stuff at flashlight-firmware with no extra on the end.

If you want a precompiled version with the right calibration, I’d suggest using the convoy branch.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9745
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Anyone know a good way to contact Simon? I’d like to find out what the story is with the first-batch drivers still going out.

lexvegas
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/24/2018 - 14:20
Posts: 91
Location: USA

Thanks! And I’ve had great success with the AliExpress messaging. I can PM you an email he gave me too.

Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 424
Location: Europe

I got mine S2+ orange today. Accidentally turn memory on and now can not turn it off.
Vary sad.
Now I have piece of junk.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1698
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Tangra wrote:
I got mine S2+ orange today. Accidentally turn memory on and now can not turn it off.
Vary sad.
Now I have piece of junk.

That sounds pretty over the top there, bud.

Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 424
Location: Europe

Jack Kellar wrote:
Tangra wrote:
I got mine S2+ orange today. Accidentally turn memory on and now can not turn it off.
Vary sad.
Now I have piece of junk.

That sounds pretty over the top there, bud.

I solve the problem. Just throw it way. Eagle Eye X5R will replace it.
varbos
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/16/2017 - 07:36
Posts: 380
Location: Europe

Where did you buy it? If you just received it then I would complain to the store. It is defective and you should be compensated at least a few bucks in order to purchase a replacement driver (or firmware flashing equipment).

I would have done same with mine if I noticed the problem immediately after receiving.

Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 424
Location: Europe

varbos wrote:
Where did you buy it? If you just received it then I would complain to the store. It is defective and you should be compensated at least a few bucks in order to purchase a replacement driver (or firmware flashing equipment).

I would have done same with mine if I noticed the problem immediately after receiving.


I bought it from Simon. Wrote him message but he did not reply yet.
Anyway, S2+ went as a present. It is not deserve to change driver.
stephenk
stephenk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 05:09
Posts: 1305
Location: Australia

ToyKeeper wrote:
The first batch ran at about 2.3X the intended speed, due to the factory accidentally overclocking the MCU.

Personally, I love the 23Hz constant frequency strobe in the original version of Biscotti!
Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1698
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

stephenk wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
The first batch ran at about 2.3X the intended speed, due to the factory accidentally overclocking the MCU.

Personally, I love the 23Hz constant frequency strobe in the original version of Biscotti!

Same here, you won’t get any complaints from me Big Smile I also like the speed of the mode group selection – the less time I have to spend configuring my stuff, the better.

TheAuditor
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 06:33
Posts: 333
Location: United Kingdom

I just received an orange s2+ with Biscotti. I just set it to mode group 2 and it has no memory so this one is working fine. 2 out of 3 working OK for me. I got a partial refund from Simon for the one with the driver issue.

Bonum commune communitatis.

Yarp.

lexvegas
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/24/2018 - 14:20
Posts: 91
Location: USA

I ordered one of the red s2+ units with biscotti an the non HI XPL emitter and it works as expected. So far just one dud.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9745
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
Tangra wrote:
I bought it from Simon. Wrote him message but he did not reply yet.

This week is a major holiday, so most people there aren’t working.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9745
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
Jack Kellar wrote:
stephenk wrote:
Personally, I love the 23Hz constant frequency strobe in the original version of Biscotti!
Same here, you won’t get any complaints from me Big Smile I also like the speed of the mode group selection – the less time I have to spend configuring my stuff, the better.

I like it faster too, but widely-sold stuff generally needs to accommodate the lowest common denominator. Some people have difficulty with it blinking too fast, so I intentionally made it slower than I would for just me.

… and then it got overclocked. Silly

Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 424
Location: Europe

Simon offer to send me new driver. I prefer discount for nexr order because after the orange one I ordered cyan and desert tan with same driver and violet with old one. Orange S2+ came first, others are on their way. Let me see what will happend when they arrived.

Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 424
Location: Europe

Cyan S2+ just arrived. Memory ON/OFF function works. I am expecting desert tan.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1698
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies
ToyKeeper wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
stephenk wrote:
Personally, I love the 23Hz constant frequency strobe in the original version of Biscotti!
Same here, you won’t get any complaints from me Big Smile I also like the speed of the mode group selection – the less time I have to spend configuring my stuff, the better.

I like it faster too, but widely-sold stuff generally needs to accommodate the lowest common denominator. Some people have difficulty with it blinking too fast, so I intentionally made it slower than I would for just me.

… and then it got overclocked. Silly


Don’t you mean slowest common denominator? lol Big Smile

eggmang
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 10/23/2016 - 05:22
Posts: 45
Location: Australia

OK so looks like it wasn’t just me who was affected by this issue. I never did chase up Simon about this but if I get another one that has this issue I will as I don’t like memory mode. (I only buy Convoy from Simon directly)

I’ve resorted to setting the faulty driver to mode 12 (100% only) and left it at that. Reflashing the driver is beyond the time and effort I’m willing to put into it.

jasontheguitarist
Online
Last seen: 5 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 138

The saga continues apparently. I just received the brand spankin new S2+ with the SST20 and it’s got the super fast strobe and mode select going on. I got a C8+ as well, and it works at the correct speed. I’m not going to try enabling memory mode on the new S2+, because knowing my luck, It’ll get stuck there.

I contacted simon, expressing my annoyance that lights with a known issue are still being shipped. I’ll update if he replies.

I kind of wanted a OP reflector version of the S2+ as well, but I don’t really want to risk getting another weird one. I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying all the parts from MTN and building one with one of their guppydrv drivers instead.

eggmang
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 10/23/2016 - 05:22
Posts: 45
Location: Australia

Yes my S2+ with SST20 which arrived a week ago seems to have the faster flashing firmware aswell.

These days I try not to change modes too often, and am very cautious about accidentally pressing switch through the second “buzz” for fear of memory ‘jamming’ another driver.

I will still buy from Convoy and support Simon but the drivers are definitely the weak link in these lights.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1698
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Memory issues aside, I’m legit envious of you lot now. My new S2+ and two replacement drivers were all of the slow variety.

jasontheguitarist
Online
Last seen: 5 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 138

I don’t really care about the speed. My issue is that, according to ToyKeeper, the speed may be an indicator that the memory bug exists.

I worry I may click on the second flash rather than the first when changing groups and trigger memory mode by mistake, which seems even more likely given the speed at which the flashes occur on the “overclocked” driver.

The reckless part of me wants to just enable memory mode and see if it has the bug or not, so I’d know for sure. The slightly more rational part says don’t do it, because then if it is broken I’d have to hassle with trying to get a refund or replacement through aliexpress/simon.

jasontheguitarist
Online
Last seen: 5 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 138

Simon replied that he’d send me a new driver if mine was defective. So I went ahead and tried enabling and disabling memory mode a couple times. Turns out it works fine.

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 38 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1852
Location: Foley, MO

jasontheguitarist wrote:
The saga continues apparently. I just received the brand spankin new S2+ with the SST20 and it’s got the super fast strobe and mode select going on. I got a C8+ as well, and it works at the correct speed. I’m not going to try enabling memory mode on the new S2+, because knowing my luck, It’ll get stuck there.

I contacted simon, expressing my annoyance that lights with a known issue are still being shipped. I’ll update if he replies.

I kind of wanted a OP reflector version of the S2+ as well, but I don’t really want to risk getting another weird one. I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying all the parts from MTN and building one with one of their guppydrv drivers instead.

If you are in the US I can send ya a OP reflector for the S2+. I have more than a few laying around. Also have some waffle type 60 degree TIR’s as well. Very nice floody beam. PM me with a address if you would like one or two.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

jasontheguitarist
Online
Last seen: 5 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 138

toddcshoe wrote:

If you are in the US I can send ya a OP reflector for the S2+. I have more than a few laying around. Also have some waffle type 60 degree TIR’s as well. Very nice floody beam. PM me with a address if you would like one or two.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I’m going to leave this one as is, as it does have a pretty nice beam. I want to try my hand at building one, so when I do that I’ll order a host that includes an OP reflector. So I’ll have this throwier one and a floodier one.

:edit:

Actually, maybe I would like to have it to play around with. I’ll pm you.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9745
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
jasontheguitarist wrote:
Simon replied that he’d send me a new driver if mine was defective. So I went ahead and tried enabling and disabling memory mode a couple times. Turns out it works fine.

Yes, the issues are pretty random. It depends on the state some individual bits of RAM decay to when power is removed. Basically, the batch the driver is from seems to determine the odds of having a problem, but it is not a certainty. Issues didn’t show up in any pre-production drivers, but only a few were actually tested.

Unfortunately, that wasn’t the only issue. For example, the production drivers were a different design from a different manufacturer, so the firmware was calibrated for the wrong hardware.

Pages