Fireflies ROT66 Flashlight

973 posts / 0 new
Last post
2100
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Question – With such pocket rockets in the snow, are they able to sustain infinite runs in turbo mode, till the batteries give up? Batteries with a wee bit of IR (eg 30Q) ought to be nicely heated up as well to counter the coldness so that they’d operate in optimum temps and not overheat, in addition to the heat supplied by the head area.

I was wondering if you guys could just bring along a few sets of batteries, all kept insulated prior to usage of course, and have a crazy lumens party all night long.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2330
Location: Canada

They always seem to step down, even in the cold weather.  If there is no timer, they last much longer  in winter than in summer, before stepping down.  I should do a test when it's -30C outside and post the results.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE
klrman wrote:

They always seem to step down, even in the cold weather.  If there is no timer, they last much longer  in winter than in summer, before stepping down.  I should do a test when it’s -30C outside and post the results.

I mean, even if the whole light is resting on snow? Or maybe even covered with snow on top, though that still wouldn’t be “infinite” coz the snow would melt and need manual top-up every now and then.

Direct contact with snow (or water even) is going to be that much more efficient than heat transfer to air.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2330
Location: Canada

Never tried it before, but it should last a long time. On turbo, it would still melt the snow around it real fast and then start to heat up again eventually.  The only way to slow it down would be to keep shoveling snow on it as it melts lol.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE
klrman wrote:

Never tried it before, but it should last a long time. On turbo, it would still melt the snow around it real fast and then start to heat up again eventually.  The only way to slow it down would be to keep shoveling snow on it as it melts lol.

You ought to try it this winter. It should melt the snow on a straight down path, still better than nothing i guess.

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3042
Location: US
klrman wrote:

Newlumen wrote:
klrman wrote:

Newlumen wrote:
I observed 2 black pole should be tight and one black pole should loose freely.. You can adjust it using your hand.. can you try that method?

 


It works!!!!!!!!!  Thanks, that did the trick.  Having one pole looser made all the difference, thanks Newlumen  


 


Wow is it ever bright.  This little light is  blinding with the xpl hi.


Nice. Yay. Smile

 


Oh yeah, had to go into the garden to try it out just now.  What an even flood, it’s amazing.   That 5000k tint is beautiful 

Good to know you got it sorted out. I placed an order for the xpl hi 3A version, which is the 4th ROT66 I ordered. I love this light and the only thing I want to see improved is increased mass for better heatsinking for longer high output usage. This thing is too light for the size and power, which really limits the potential for practical use. Maybe they can release a beefed up version later and hopefully with some copper.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

There is no need to be too exact, so i shall be ignoring the efficiency lm/W numbers…….

ROT66 XP-L HI = 10000 lumens, 260g, working out to be 3846 lm/100g. The SST20 CW and high CRI shouldn’t be too far off in terms of heat:weight ratio.

Haikelite MT09R XHP70.2 = 21000 lumens, 600g. working out to be 3500 lm/100g.

Emisar D4 XP-L HI = 4300 lumens, 66.8g, working out to be 6437 lm/100g.

BLF Q8 modded = 6500 lm, 400g. working out to be 1625 lm/100g.

Mateminco MT18 /Astrolux MF01 = 12000 lm, 550g, working out to be 2181 lm/100g.

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7742

Included.

Newlumen wrote:
RobertB wrote:
Newlumen wrote:
Yes I got my rot66 sst20 cw. Took almost one month, but it’s worth the wait.. the light is included with the aux led and narsil v1.2. I heard newer version are shipped with Anduril.. I measured the lumen with TA tube. I got 6300 lumen.. 7089605_D-1_E7_B-41_A8-_A14_C-_C009_E041812_D
Nice. I didn't get a lanyard or holster with mine. Are they supposed to come with them?
I ordered it around September 12th.. i guess it’s all included it, even the aluminum tailcap.

©freemex1thedeals.com

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9957
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
2100 wrote:
I mean, even if the whole light is resting on snow?

You can basically try this at home, if you like. Get an ice cube, and hold it against the head of the ROT66 while it runs on turbo.

It will probably eat through the ice cube pretty quickly, but it should stay at turbo until the ice runs out.

mitosis
mitosis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/27/2018 - 11:13
Posts: 4
Location: Northern CA

So I just had the exact same “carrier won’t fit with cells installed” thing happen with one of my ROT66s, figured I’d chime in here with what I did to fix it.

I had an old set of VTC4s in it and had been using the light for a couple days, went to put a set of new 30Qs in (mainly just to see if they were too long or too short, wasn’t expecting them to be too fat) and then couldn’t install the carrier anymore. Tried it again with a set of new VTC6s and again the carrier wouldn’t fit.

I didn’t like the idea of having a loose post, so instead I loosened each of the five accessible screws one at a time and tugged outwards on the loose end of the post while re-tightening the screw. Did that to all five of the post-ends with accessible screws and now every type of cell I have fits fine, no loose posts either.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE
ToyKeeper wrote:
2100 wrote:
I mean, even if the whole light is resting on snow?

You can basically try this at home, if you like. Get an ice cube, and hold it against the head of the ROT66 while it runs on turbo.

It will probably eat through the ice cube pretty quickly, but it should stay at turbo until the ice runs out.

Heh….never thought about that. I guess it’d be similar too, just that snow’s soft physical property probably still holds a certain edge in maintaining superior contact with the host’s body. Smile

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11530
Location: Houston Texas

Was Newlumen advocating leaving one post loose permanently? I didn’t think so. You need all posts to be tight, they carry all the battery current. Leaving one loose permanently could potentially cause problems or maybe even reduce output (in theory).

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2330
Location: Canada

mitosis wrote:
So I just had the exact same "carrier won't fit with cells installed" thing happen with one of my ROT66s, figured I'd chime in here with what I did to fix it. I had an old set of VTC4s in it and had been using the light for a couple days, went to put a set of new 30Qs in (mainly just to see if they were too long or too short, wasn't expecting them to be too fat) and then couldn't install the carrier anymore. Tried it again with a set of new VTC6s and again the carrier wouldn't fit. I didn't like the idea of having a loose post, so instead I loosened each of the five accessible screws one at a time and tugged outwards on the loose end of the post while re-tightening the screw. Did that to all five of the post-ends with accessible screws and now every type of cell I have fits fine, no loose posts either.

 

I did the same thing last night after they finally slid in easily.

 

One of the poles on the carrier is not insulated all the way to the top.  Does that make any difference overall?

 

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2070
Location: United states
JasonWW wrote:
Was Newlumen advocating leaving one post loose permanently? I didn’t think so. You need all posts to be tight, they carry all the battery current. Leaving one loose permanently could potentially cause problems or maybe even reduce output (in theory).

It doesnt reduce output.

Fully charged. 7000 lumen
3.86v. 5800 lumen

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9957
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
2100 wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Get an ice cube, and hold it against the head of the ROT66 while it runs on turbo.

Heh….never thought about that. I guess it’d be similar too, just that snow’s soft physical property probably still holds a certain edge in maintaining superior contact with the host’s body. Smile

Nope, snow does not have an edge here. The ice cube melts to fit, almost like it’s made of butter. The main difference is that snow doesn’t last as long. Toss a turbo hot-rod light onto a snow pile and it’ll just sink downward as it melts a hole.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11530
Location: Houston Texas

klrman wrote:

One of the poles on the carrier is not insulated all the way to the top. Does that make any difference overall?



No, it should be fine.

It’s technically not needed, but I would leave as is.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 583
Location: USA
SKV89 wrote:
I placed an order for the xpl hi 3A version, which is the 4th ROT66 I ordered.

That’s quite an endorsement! So now you’ll have one of each stock emitter family, plus a LH351D?

Do you have any other 3 to 4 × 18650 lights like the Q8 to discuss pros and cons relative to the ROT66?

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3042
Location: US
iamlucky13 wrote:
SKV89 wrote:
I placed an order for the xpl hi 3A version, which is the 4th ROT66 I ordered.

That’s quite an endorsement! So now you’ll have one of each stock emitter family, plus a LH351D?

Do you have any other 3 to 4 × 18650 lights like the Q8 to discuss pros and cons relative to the ROT66?

Not going to get LH351D because the ones available in the market now have too much yellow/green like the 219C and needs a green filter to look comparable to the 219B, SST-20, or Cree A and D tints. I have two M43, MK34, two MF01, two MT09R, MT03, and Eagtac MX30L3-C 219B 4500k, and maybe a few more I can’t remember.

The M43 has more heatsinking mass and more premium quality feel. Can maintain high output better due to additional mass so more practical. However, I dislike the UI. ROT66 has Narsil or Anduril, which is much better and the ROT66 has brighter turbo. The M43 would be my favorite if it had the same ROT66 driver and 219B 9080 option.

The MK34 uses 219C and the tint is a bit yellow for my liking. I also hate Manker UI that lumps Turbo with the blinky modes. It is a super nice looking light and more mass than ROT66 so has great modding potential.

MF01 stock sucks. The V2 219C 5000k is very greenish. UI sucks too. I had mine modded by Lexel to use buck driver and Narsil. Much better. It has much more mass so can handle lumens better than ROT66. Not as good looking as ROT66 though and still has greenish 219c.

MT03 is the heaviest 4×18650 flooder I’ve seen and extremely well built. MT03 weighs 600g, Acebeam X80GT weighs 330g, ROT66 weighs 256g. Extremely good heat dissipation. Mine was modded by TA with the 4000k 80CRI 70.2 and TA driver. Love the thing. It is much floodier than the ROT66.

MT09R is similar to MT03 with good throw. Love it too. But it is much bigger.

Eagtac MX30L3-C although has 219B 4500k, the tint is nowhere near as nice as the 219B 9080 version in the ROT66. It actually looks greenish next to the 9080. It is also not as bright but much more throwy.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2330
Location: Canada

JasonWW wrote:
klrman wrote:

One of the poles on the carrier is not insulated all the way to the top. Does that make any difference overall?

No, it should be fine. It's technically not needed, but I would leave as is.

 

Thanks.  I wasn't sure what the purpose of it was, but thought maybe just as an extra protection not to damage

the battery sleeves or something like that.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9957
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

SKV89 wrote:
I placed an order for the xpl hi 3A version, which is the 4th ROT66 I ordered.

I have two M43, MK34, two MF01, two MT09R, MT03, and Eagtac MX30L3-C 219B 4500k, and maybe a few more I can’t remember.

That is quite a few soda-can-style lights. What do you use them for?

I have a few also, but not that many. Original Skyray King, Blackshadow Terminator, Meteor M43, BLF Q8, and ROT66. But I pretty much only use the BLF Q8 and the ROT66. The Q8 is because I have a 3D-printed diffuser cap for it so it works really well in candle mode. And I use the ROT66 because it’s smaller and has a gorgeous 219B beam.

chinooker
chinooker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 1 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2015 - 13:27
Posts: 1659
Location: mid USA left coast

belt, suspenders, velcro, and elastic waist tabs? Blushing

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2070
Location: United states

Damn skv, you got a nice collection.

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3042
Location: US

Newlumen, I see from your new avatar that you must really love your ROT66

ToyKeeper, I actually hardly even use my soda-can lights. I used them a few times for work but they are actually too big to carry around and I need to take pics with my other hand so I stick with smaller lights like TC20, C8F, Armytek headlamps, Acebeam H15, S2+ etc. I have used the soda can lights to ceiling bounce for indoor picture taking and took it out with friends to play around with. Otherwise I just enjoy collecting lights. It’s flashaholism at a feverish level. Hopefully I find good use for them some day.

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 583
Location: USA
SKV89 wrote:
Not going to get LH351D because the ones available in the market now have too much yellow/green like the 219C and needs a green filter to look comparable to the 219B, SST-20, or Cree A and D tints. I have two M43, MK34, two MF01, two MT09R, MT03, and Eagtac MX30L3-C 219B 4500k, and maybe a few more I can’t remember.

My mistake. It was twisted raven who has the LH351D version.

Thanks for all the comparison info!

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2070
Location: United states

Actually I am getting my rot66 Samsung 5000k from skylumen54 Friday.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2330
Location: Canada

Newlumen wrote:
Actually I am getting my rot66 Samsung 5000k from skylumen54 Friday.

 

What is the difference with the skylumen rot66?

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2070
Location: United states
klrman wrote:

Newlumen wrote:
Actually I am getting my rot66 Samsung 5000k from skylumen54 Friday.

 


What is the difference with the skylumen rot66?

He just installed 9 samsung 5000k led and warranty. Thats it. Basically i am paying $100 to do the job.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2330
Location: Canada

Newlumen wrote:
klrman wrote:

Newlumen wrote:
Actually I am getting my rot66 Samsung 5000k from skylumen54 Friday.

 

What is the difference with the skylumen rot66?

He just installed 9 samsung 5000k led and warranty. Thats it. Basically i am paying $100 to do the job.

 

You like the ss 5k better than the xpl-hi 5k?

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2070
Location: United states
klrman wrote:

Newlumen wrote:
klrman wrote:

Newlumen wrote:
Actually I am getting my rot66 Samsung 5000k from skylumen54 Friday.

 


What is the difference with the skylumen rot66?


He just installed 9 samsung 5000k led and warranty. Thats it. Basically i am paying $100 to do the job.

 


You like the ss 5k better than the xpl-hi 5k?

I dont know yet.. i am getting it tomorrow.. samsung 5000k is 80 cri, and 6000 lumen.. i will test output and beamshot tomorrow.

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2070
Location: United states

Anyone with a rot66 with the xpl hi ?? Can you guys post lumen specs ?

Pages