1xAA/14500 lights with XP-L HI

Don’t know if this will be of any help.

Thought I’d line up some lights as a comparison for you:

Quite a size range. Some are AA, AA/14500, 14500, CR123a/RCR123 and 18650. All are pocket friendly however.

Mix of XP-L HI, XP-L and XP-G2 emitters.

Close up comparison of the Klarus, the Coast HX5, EagleTac D25LC2 and Kronos X5.

As you can see, the X5 is way bigger than the Klarus Mi7. Just a heads up.

And some beam shots, these are with an IPhone, so not 100% accurate in terms of brightness or illumination comparisons, but gives an idea of the differences.

Comparison goes = Mi7 | HX5 | X5 | D25LC2

Aimed at the tree above the building:

The X5 really kicks ass, but it’s way bigger in the pocket and the least comfy to EDC. Also on high output it’s down to 12-16 min runtimes!!! :person_facepalming:

And ironically while out doing the test my pocket got very hot… where the Mi7 had activated in my pocket.

For the money the HX5 works really well IMO. But is singlet mode only. The Mi7 beam for it’s compact size is brilliant however, just a shame on the blatant design floors on it.

How about a modded Utorch UT01

I would replace the XPL HD with a dedomed XP-G2 or XPL HI
depending on the MCPCB size and quality replace it with a DTP one
add a solid copper wire ring in the tailcap to make space for protected 14500 if needed

I have quite a few AA/14500 lights to EDC and my favorite is actually the inexpensive twisty Jetbeam I MK.

It’s small, light and quite powerful. Throw is very decent (on 14500). The twist action is one of the smoothest i ever came across. It wont activate accidentally and can be turned on very easily one handed. For the price it’s a must try before considering more expensive lights.

I do like side switches a lot, but for EDC it’s a bit of a gamble if it’s not locked out somehow. Utorch UT 01, Klarus Mi7… are very good lights for the size and desirable to have around, but i’m not comfortable with the possible accidental turn on.

BTW: i was looking for a small 18650 light and just received a DQG Tiny 18650 4th. It’s barely bigger then a AA/14500 light with quite a lot of light and runtime. You may want to consider it.

CD, I responded on the other forum but thanks again for the great detailed comparison! So often you can think a light is X size but when you see it next to another it’s a whole new ballgame. I’m learning that there probably won’t be one light that has it all, and the solution will probably be to have multiple options (or in your case dozens!).

The Utorch UT01 looks like a cool little light with solid specs at a low price, thanks for the recommendation. I will probably consider an un-modded one for a small general purpose light. At that price point why not

Thanks for the recommendation of the DQG Tiny 4th. While I’m not looking at 18650’s for this application I am making a list of other lights I’m interested in getting (can never have too many, right!) and I’ll keep this mind. The Jetbeam looks nice, if it wasn’t a twisty I’d be really interested, I just don’t think twisty will suit my needs though.

I don’t know this torch, just had a quick look on Gearbest, says it’s an XP-L. Looks like a nice little light tbh. But it’ll be a flooder, more so than the Mi7 in my opinion.

Not sure quite what range you are needing the throw, but you might struggle with this one. It’ll light up everything in front of you fine, but won’t reach very far.

Yeah looks like it would be a good little general EDC light, not so much for throw.

I’m leaning towards the Manker atm, but as I said I am still hesitant given the quality issues reported here. And the price seems a little steep for this tier of Chinese manufacturer. I don’t mind paying $57 for a light at all, but it seems steep for the perceived quality of the brand.

…and the disease begins to take root.

Ha, I’m amazed at how quickly I have been infected honestly.

“I just need a 4xAA thrower…”

“A 1xAA pocket thrower would be nice…”

“I guess I can at least check out 18650 …”

Well after a lot of looking around, weighing the options, I’ve come to the conclusion that an 18650 light is really the only feasible option for a thrower that has all I’m looking for as far as quality, features, UI etc. The UI on the Manker T01 2 is just not appealing at all from what I’m reading so thats out for sure, and that is the only one in the bunch with throw.

Instead of looking for a 1xAA that will cover my needs when working and also be small enough for non-work EDC I figure I’ll carry an 18650 when I’m on the job and specifically needing throw and I’ll get a 1xAA for the rest of the time.

So, now I’m looking for compact 18650 light with either XP-L HI or XHP35 HI

What can I say, you bastards got me into this :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can solder you might consider making your own 18650 thrower. There are also some members that will build to suit and have excellent reputations.

My personal favorite is a dedomed XP-G2 in a C8 host.

Bob

Man, let’s not forget this little 18650 thrower…if you can still find one that is.

Maybe for you a little large around the head, but not really…but throw it does in spades.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_139172.html

Now that the seed has been planted… :smiling_imp:

How about a BLF A6 with an extra 18350 tube? In full 18650 configuration it’s a hell of a tube light! In ‘short’ - 18350 config it’s still a hell of a light, just a little shorter in runtime, in length and in weight. It’s not a thrower, but it will reach out quite a bit by shear power - and still be a very convenient all around light. If you don’t already have a couple (along with a few high drain cells), it’s a no brainer. :slight_smile:

That looks like a great budget light for sure. Though if I’m going to carry something slightly larger now than AA I’d for sure want it to be a thrower, otherwise if it’s just a general purpose light I think I’ll stick to a small AA for that. But for that low price, I’ll definitely consider getting it, cause why not, right!

Anyone have thoughts on these:

Nitecore MH20GT

Lumintop SDmini

These are the type of configuration and specs in an 18650 I’m looking for. Are there other similar lights?

The Nitecore looks great, but the $99 price looks less great.

I’d put another vote in for the EagleTac D Series. They do the Mini range which are all twisties and the clicky range with a switch at the back.

As you can see from my photos earlier, the little XP-G2 D25LC2 that I have, throw pretty well easily having more range than the little 14500 lights like the Mi7.

Of course the world is your oyster when it comes to 18560 lights, the only thing I’d say is be mindful of size. You can get superb throw from a small package with an 18650, but they can quickly go from an EDC pocket friendly light, to something that will need a larger coat pocket or holster if you really want to carry it about.

Budget will play a big part too.

Not too many XHP35 HI lights too choose from and they can be expensive. i.e. the ArmyTek Prime C2 Pro looks interesting with its XHP35 (non HI). And it uses a TIR optic, but it’s not exactly a budget light.
https://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/outdoor-and-camping/armytek-prime-c2-pro/prime-c2-pro-v3.-silver.-xhp35-warm.html

If you don’t mind modding (or maybe see if someone on here, or one of the sellers known to BFL will build you one). Then you could make something like a SMO reflector Convoy S2 into quite a throw monster for it’s compact size.

This is one I built (silver one), it’s running the same driver as the Kronos X5, so with a high drain 18650 packs a real punch in Turbo. And it’s fitted with an XP-L HI on a copper DTP star. Very pocket friendly and throws really well for a tube light.

Compared next to a BLF A6 and the Kronos X5 for comparison.

The beams are completely different (A6 on the left).

Now lights like the BLF A6 are totally awesome and due to their output light up quite a long distance for their compact size. But it’s all flood, so you’ll be lighting up a very wide area too. I recall you said about looking for house numbers or something. Well the A6 and that type of light will light up the entire front of a house and maybe some of the one next to it.

Anything with a large domed LED in a small OP reflector is unlikely to give a ‘throwy’ beam profile. You’ll either need to make sure you look for specific LED’s (XP-G2/XP-L HI) or something with a larger reflector.

CD, the SMO reflector Convoy S2 with XPL-HI seems like an excellent idea. And yes this would be used to look for house numbers primarily, and I prefer not to light up the entire house as well as blinding the neighbors cat.

As far as doing this myself, are we talking about simply dropping parts together, or will it take more extensive surgery than that to get the XP-L HI in there? I’m new to this, so perhaps I should pursue the option of having it built by a torch savant?

It’s a super easy mod, just two small simple solder joints.

As you are in the USA, I’m pretty sure Mtn Electronics would actually build this for you if you wanted, or you can buy the parts from them.

If you don’t mind waiting for shipping from China (2-4 weeks). Then you could buy most of the bits cheaper, or even buy a working S2 and simply swap the reflector and LED over.

Convoy have an Aliexpress store to buy direct, or banggood.com are pretty good too.

Assuming you want it quicker I’ll post the links from Mtn Electronics.

S2 host $9.15

You might see a Convoy S2+ listed too. The S2+ has a shallow floody reflector, the S2 is the one you want as it has a deeper reflector.

S2 SMO reflector $2.35

XPL-HI on copper DTP star $6.89
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_106&product_id=793

Driver $7.95

(Lots of custom options with the driver, take a look at the page. Feel free to ask if you don’t know what some options are).

And that’s it. You’ll need a soldering iron, solder and some thermal paste (small amount to smear on the back of the LED star when you fit it to the brass pill of the flashlight).

And you’ll have a totally awesome flashlight. All joking aside, this will be as bright or brighter than any of the Nitecores, Fenix or whatever. And with similar fit and finish and overall build quality, The only thing you don’t get is such an advanced funky dual switch User Interface that the premium lights tend to offer.

But you do get all this performance for $26 or so!! :smiley:

You’ll want some batteries and a charger of course, but you’d need them for any 18650 light. Lots of choice here, only advice I can give is, buy quality, but don’t over pay. Samsung 30Q batteries are my current favourites and very well priced as a rule.

If you don’t fancy building this light, see if Mtn Electronics will do it for you (I’m sure they will).

Well I’ve made a couple decisions and purchases- And ironically neither of them are XP-L HI nor throwy. As I said in an earlier post it realized it didn’t make sense to try to find a small AA that did everything, and out of the XP-L HI options there just isn’t one that I completely like anyway. The Manker T01-2 seems like a good throwing AA but I’m not going to get a light that isn’t single click on, single click off, and if the head is that diameter I might as well get a compact 18650.

So, I got a Thrunite T10 for regular EDC, and along the lines of Chicken Drumstick’s modded S2 idea I purchased an EagleEye X2R which I hope to modify (or have modified) to XP-L HI (and smooth reflector if available).

The T10 is great so far, can’t believe how tiny it is and how bright. And the X2R seems like it is a quality piece from the reviews and I like the onboard charging feature.

I started out demanding XP-L HI and didn’t want clickys- and now I will have two that are the opposite. Ha. But, I think this choice is the best one given my needs and the choices, especially once the emitter in the X2R is swapped.

Can you point me in the direction of one of these members?

This was my first thought. I am sure there are others.

Bob

Thanks for the tip Bob, I will contact him.

There is a thread for modding the X2R and a gentleman who has done some extensive work on his, and someone in that thread asked if he could work on theirs but he didn’t seem keen to do it, so this lead you’ve given me helps.