1xAA/14500 lights with XP-L HI

You are welcome.

I built a C8 using a dedomed XP-G2 and a few drive that I am happy with. It is a great little thrower for its size.

Bob

I think it’s quite funny that you’ve bought 2 torches … neither of which fulfill your initial requirement :slight_smile: … Slippery slope to where a large number of us are!!!

That said, you initially wanted a torch to do a specific job and you’ve bypassed what may be best suited for the purpose because you have to hold a button for 1/2 second for something that will switch on instantly but may not do the job you initially stated you wanted it for (can’t find a smiley that was totally confused or would have posted one here)

Have I lost the plot or were the goalposts moved half way through the query???

Welcome to the club :slight_smile: … You’ll end up buying all of your original suggestions as well just to see if they are that smidge better … and then someone will release another … and another… and another and you’ll be living in a cardboard box with 2376 torches :smiley: :person_facepalming: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

If you ever decide to get another 18650 light & want a small one that will throw…. take a good look at the Jaxman M8 XPL HI

I just got one the other day & it is an amazing little light!!! . :+1:

I know it seems like the goalposts have moved, but really they have not. I simply discovered that what I want doesn’t exist, so I’ve had to adjust my plans accordingly.

Initially I wanted one single light, an AA, that I would carry everywhere as an EDC and which would also have decent throw to serve specific needs. The closest light to that is the Manker T01, but I’ve realized that I would not EDC a light with a head diameter of 29mm. And even if I was ok with EDC’ing a light of that diameter it would not make sense to choose an AA light anyway when I could choose an 18650 which is a few mm less in diameter, far more powerful, far more capacity, and more throw.

And yes, the press and hold for a precise number of seconds for the basic functions of on and off is also a deal breaker. I don’t know who came up with that insanity but apparently meth is a hell of a drug. It makes no sense, is not intuitive, and will not work for me. When I need the light on I need it on when I tell it to, and when I need it off I need it do so without the light computing if I did it for only 0.4 instead of 0.6. Often I’m trying to be discreet, and I don’t need the light not responding or sending me to disco mode. Even if it just for walking in the park I would not want it. Besides the objective retardation of this UI, I just cannot give money to a company that paid a human to program a light in this way when infinite better choices were possible.

Single click for basic functions, multi-click or (non-timed) hold for mode access = Yes, logical, good

Multi-click or precise-timed hold for basic on/off function, single click for mode changes = Designed by meth head

Anyway, this leaves me with having to go with a small general EDC light and a separate compact 18650 which I will carry when it will be needed for specific tasks. Since the general EDC light doesn’t need to throw that opened all kinds of options. The option with the fewest objectionable features seemed to be the Thrunite T10, and indeed it is excellent. Love it so far. Both of my Thrunites are top quality, wish they had a larger lineup.

That leaves a compact 18650 XP-L HI. There’s the MH20GT, but I don’t love it enough for the $99 asking price. There’s the various clones of said light, but every one of them has the Designed by Meth Head UI™ . Fenix, Manker and many others have ridiculous UI across their range of side switch lights. So, I started considering clickys since it is harder for companies to infect them with Designed by Meth Head UI™. Not seeing much in stock form that I really liked, I pursued the idea of having an inexpensive quality light modded to my needs. The X2R is similar in form to the S2 but has onboard charging at a marginal increase in length. Pop a XP-L HI in it and it will likely suit my needs fine, for a very low cost compared to other options. I don’t need to hit exceptional distances with the carry thrower, those are handled with my TN4A, I just need a little more power and tighter beam than the T10.

In the end, two lights is better than one anyway right :wink:

I’ve been looking at a few of the Jaxmans and I’ll likely add one of their multi-emitter lights to my collection soon

Nord,

Granted it’s changed a bit (as things do as we do some research) but going back to your original spec a zoomie may have been a good option and would have offered both uses in one potentially.

If you find the mod doesn’t quite give you the results you’re hoping for I really would reconsider the MH20GT especially if it’s for a specific purpose, granted they’re not cheap but they do the job they’re designed to do extremely well!!

Yeah I’m still interested in the MH20GT, and I’m sure as this disease spreads further I will end up getting one at some point, I seem to be making more and more justifications for further purchases :wink:

Welcome to the club :laughing:

+1

I am currently looking for a long thrower that's pocket-able, single 18650.

Member T18 directed me to the Jaxman M8. Check out the videos by Paul Bo on Youtube.

It is one impressive powerhouse for it's 5" length.