2 AAA penlights in the budget - medium price segment.

Why? Penlights are for runtime not big lumins. Nobody uses a penlight as a search light. If you need a huge amount of light, the 18650s are better suited and will provide enough runtime to make it useful.

26 mins is nothing. In fact, any light that can’t give at least an hour of runtime is more for a toy than real use. If you have to carry a spare set of batteries when you carry your light for normal use, you might as well carry a larger light.

Ello there, Speedsix,

Certain needs tend to differ, from time to time. I work at a place where I can mostly always carry a P60, but sometimes, things just have to be a bit more subtle. That’s where the slim 2xAAA (or AA, for that matter) form factor comes in handy.

Example? Imagine having to move through a crowd of international guests during an official reception (you know, either the kind carrying black AmEx cards, or NATO CGs, diplomats, ambassadors, you name it) without raising any suspicion to the security forces (… private personal protectors, local police, state police, military police, all packing heat), just to get to the only entrance where you could search for a faulty fire detector just having caused a pre-alarm, which, if left alone, will result in a full-house evacuation, eventually. Did I mention you would be held responsible for all things related to the building and the event itself?

So, there’s my (very occasional) need for something as tiny as possible, with the capability to crank out as many lumens as only possible. Roof timbering of the 17th century can really be the colloquially “royal PITA”, at times. 20 minutes runtime is fairly enough, as well.

Of course, one could hide a proper torch up there - but you’ll never know who of the many contractors doing routine maintenance might find and snatch it.

That sums up my situation. I have several AA, AAA, and CR123A lights, but improvements in 2AAA penlight brightness and runtimes have brought them to the level where I EDC them due to their slim form factor.

Like, Speedsix, I am always on the lookout for new penlights so I bought 2AAA Mini Maglite LED at REI. It is bright and throws farther than all my other penlights. It is very slim and rides easily in a pocket. Wish it had a better pocket clip, momentary forward clicky switch, and multiple brightness levels.

The Pelican 1920 is still my favorite, but I find the new Mini Maglite 2AAA a pleasant surprise and it is getting more pocket time lately than the other lights.

I gave away a Fenix LD05 due chiefly to the ergonomics. It didn’t fit my shirt pockets because the non-adjustable pocket clip is situated too high. The barrel has no knurling and is slippery so the entire light slipped through my hand when pressing the tailswitch. It is a relatively long and heavy penlight.

No complaints about the amount and tint of light emitted. It was a winner in that regard.

I have to agree that penlights are one of my favorite form factors. One of the GREATEST things about them is the fact that I can carry one wherever I go in my pocket. I just recently picked up a Coast HP4 2xAAA penlight. It’s rated at 95 lumens. I think that’s optimistic. But even so, it seems to be roughly equal in light output to a 4D Maglite (around 70 lumens), which certainly isn’t too shabby for something I can have on me at all times. It actually lights up a trail pretty well when hiking at night. Runtime is pretty decent (about 3-3.5 hours on Duraloops). And although this may not be as long as a larger light, in situations like hiking, it’s often easier (and lighter) to carry some extra batteries with me vs using a larger light.

One light that I had been thinking about is the Preon 2. It seems to get good reviews. And having 160 lumens when you need it sounds REALLY good. But I can’t say I like its brightness settings. It looks like you get 26 minutes at 160 lumens. But the next setting down is a puny 22 lumens. This is just a little brighter than a 2D Maglite, and probably just borderline for, say, hiking at night in a dark place (like a moonless night in the High Sierra). I’m not sure why they didn’t decide to have something in between (like 70 lumens). But, in my eyes, the lack of a setting that is somewhat of a compromise between brightness and battery life is a deal killer with this light.

I have to admit that the Nextorch K3 sounds like a GREAT light to me. Not only do you get 180 lumens from the high setting. You also have an intermediate setting of 70 lumens, which probably makes it about equal to my HP4. This just MIGHT be my next flashlight purchase, especially since the Fenix LD05 is no longer made.

I like penlights, my current favorite is the 511 atac plx

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Flashlights/ATAC-PLx-Flashlight.html

69 lumens, single mode and a forward clickie. I like the feel, and the way they did the grip.

I still keep a scrached up ol’ MXDL XT7224, 2-AAA Pen light in my pocket for at work in the shop.
It works great for less than 4 bucks. tough as nails, always worked, been dropped hundreds of times on concrete, good brightness vs” battery run time of more than 5 hours.
Found at DX > http://dx.com/p/mxdl-xt7224-3w-50-lumen-led-flashlight-with-clip-color-assorted-2-aaa-55749

It’s time to bump this thread for input on more recent penlights.

I am still EDCing my Pelican 1920 and still happy with it. It gets more real use then all my other flashlights combined.

I’m always interested to hear about new penlights.

I’m debating on getting the Olight OPen (Foursevens new preon penLight)

Me too. What colour are you thinking of getting?

Hopefully orange if I can get it on a deal

Adding to a good thread.

The Mini Maglite Triple is a great carry light, the clip is a joke but really not needed.
Hardly used my iTP SS keychain light since I got the little ‘maggit’. :wink:

I have the Olight Open light, not a huge fan of the button, but I do like the UI better than the foursevens Preon2

Illumination Supply has the Preon2 with the newer Nichia219 (more efficient bin)
The coupon code is happyHolidays
http://illuminationsupply.com/holiday-promotions-ezp-10.html

For the hi cri junkies….
Your welcome :wink:

The mini maglite 2aaa has a good beam, doesn’t come on as reliably as there other head twist lights.
I’ve thought about epoxying the clip in place so it’s not moving around as much

Threads like this make me wonder why there aren’t more advancements on penlights considering that there is interest in them. Different Ui’s and such (I’m aware of space limitations).

Anyways, my sugestions are both Tank007 offerings. The E11 ranging from 23~25U$ and the PA02 ranging from 12~14U$.
I’ve got the last one on my way, could only find it on dx and have not seen much info or review on either.

Hugsby xp-2 is my current carry penlight.
Rated at 120 lumens—looks more like 70 to me.
Nice and slim, very much similar to the Streamlight.