3 volt XHP50.2

[quote=Tom E]

We mostly use stranded wires, which are rated for less amps than single core.

I always thought it was the opposite of this. AC current capacity is higher in stranded, correct?

Ratings I linked previously shows higher amps for single core: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html

Hhmm, not sure if the chart is for AC or DC, probably AC. House wire is single core. Makes sense to me because single of the same width as multi-strand has no air gaps between strands, more copper per cross sectional area.

I am getting both answers in my search. Something about AC traveling around the surface and stranded having more surface area and less resistance.

Stranded is more expensive to make, but is needed around vibrations. Cars and planes vibrate a lot and would fatigue a solid strand, very bad. Stranded can handle it much better. Houses don’t typically move much, so solid core is fine.

I think it’s a bit of a coincidence that cars and planes are typically DC and houses are typically AC.

@pennzy, it doesn’t matter in our flashlights.

I know it doesn’t . Was just trying to figure out which carries more current out of curiosity . For anyone that gives a hoot:

What driver did you use for this? was thinking of putting in a shorty jaxman x1. Since the vf is already so low on a single cell, could you use a buck driver and have the option for 1s or 2s batteries depending on the tube you attach to the head/runtime desired?

Well, there was a time long ago when DC was pumped into homes and businesses, but it couldn’t reach long distances. Thomas Edison opened the first power station in NYC, but it didn’t service that many. It was Nicola Tesla who developed step up and step down transformers, and alternating current, to allow the delivery of electricity over long distances, that we still use today. I think Edison was somewhat jealous of Tesla.

19 amps through a single LED?? These things appear to be rather robust.

Well, they are 4x XP G3s in parallel.

I thought I read earlier 50 (not 50.2) where rather fragile. Weren’t they 4x XP G3s too?

I don’t know what prompted the history lesson, but you can’t leave out Topsy. :cry:

yikes! DHL: $18.13 Shipping!
Any other source?

Kaidomain has free shipping. I have ordered fom them about 8 times and never had any issues.

ASFlashlights. They are in USA and shipping should be closer to $3-$4. He’s got the 6250K CW.

@MikeC, XHP50s were XP-G2s.

They were more fragile than XP-G3s.

FWIW I had trouble with the 50.2 in 6V, as did others. I don’t think anyone could ever figure out if it was heat, re-flow, driver, or just poor LED design.

LOL just a comment referring to most all homes and businesses getting AC power as opposed to DC. Methinks Edison had other motivations for touting DC - mainly the fact that he would have had to build a ton of power stations…

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

So 50.2 6V have been fragile? Could they have changed something besides 4P vs 2S2P in these 3V versions?

They keep burning out with FET drivers. Even when using 18350 cells.

I’m not sure why the 3v version seems more robust. Maybe it is voltage sensitive?

The 6v version would get 8.4v from 2 cells. That’s 2.4v over 6v.

The 3v version gets 4.2v which is only 1.2v higher. Maybe the dies being all in parallel and only getting 1.2v too much makes it much less likely to burn out? Makes it brawny and tough? I’m not knowledgeable enough in electronics and leds to know what is going on in this new 50.2.

I do find it interesting that they are just now making the 3 volt version two full years after the 50.2 originally came out. Maybe they found ways to improve the manufacturing to make it more robust? IDK.