3 volt XHP50.2

I kind of wonder why couldn’t they make these in a similar fashion to the XHP 70.2s where they can be run as either 6V or 12V depending on the PCB? A 3V version of the XHP 70.2 would be nice… But would it be tough for them to make a LED that can be configured 3V, 6V, or 12V?

Does anyone know of a buck driver that would work for this with both 1s and 2s input from 26650? I want to put one in a Jaxman X1 and have the option to run a single cell or the extended tube (higher output the better). I would look at the mtn buck driver, but it doesn’t seem to have a wide input voltage range. Any ideas on a high output (relatively, like anything 5A or above) driver for this besides direct drive on single cell?

What do you mean? The 50.2 IS like the 70.2 and can be run as either 6v or 12v. You didn’t know that?

The 50.2 and 70.2 only have 4 pads to control the voltage and it’s what allows the mcpcb to determine whether it’s 6v or 12v.

For Cree to give the user the ability to choose 3v, 6v or 12v you would need 8 electrical pads on the bottom of the led. It might also require that the dies be moved further apart like with the older xhp50. It seems possible. IDK why they don’t do it. ¯\

It is possible, the old cree MC-E? Did basically this. The issue is the more complicated footprint I think and the low percentage of users that would run them in 3V. Most want them to be setup for 6v or 12v.

I would think the opposite, given the trend to more lower Vf and higher current emitters coming out? I don’t think the footprint is necessarily complicated as they already have RGBW and tunable CCT emitters that work this way; the PCBs however likely would be. Judging by this thread it would seem many are very interested in this 3V config!

Users = Business customers. :slight_smile:

Flashlights are one of the only industries that likes low voltage LED’s. In most other things higher voltage is the name of the game. That is why COB LED’s are really high voltage for example. It is much easier to work with higher voltage then higher current.

Flashlights are such a small percentage of LED sales, we hardly even register on their radar to be honest.

You are correct that flashlights like low voltage high current LED’s, but this is only because it is easier to get higher output with FET drivers doing this and we don’t have higher voltages available in most cases.

Yeah. Higher voltage is always better for LEDs, since current is reduced, and power loss is reduced.

This is often why higher voltage LEDs can be so efficient. Since the HV LEDs(12V+) need less current than regular LEDs, they lose less power to power loss and transmission losses in wiring, LED bonding, and padding.

True, but I could see some uses for these in industry like running a strip of these wired in series. Trying to run a bunch of these in parallel could get a bit tough current wise? Honestly I wish there were more boost drivers that could handle high voltages that still fit in flashlights. I can only think of the TaskLed HyperBoost and Led Treiber Senser Xtreme.

We have LEDs like the White Flat 2mm^2 that have a low Vf and high current threshold - it wasn’t exactly made for flashlights. BoostHX is more of the same? Or a more extreme case the CFT-90.

The Cree XHP series was made for street lights and commercial/home lighting. Both applications wired in a series parallel to match whatever power source they have. Not made for flashlights.

They do list high-end portable in their applications. And when you click on it they show a dude with a headlamp. In their own words:

That's, of course, true bout the CREE site now, but that was relatively recent added, maybe last year or two. I was surprised to see that myself a few months back. May be mentioning vs. catering to. Most LED flashlight manufacturers don't build in the 10's of 1000's though, and if you don't, you cant even talk to them.

I think overall the flashlight market is huge now and has certainly grown to match other commonly LED intensive areas. When saying that they are still a specialty area for LED makers.

Auto, street/outdoor, and home lighting are the big markets - portable lights I don't think is in any of those market sizes, but who really knows without some real #'s.

this has some info, not much detail: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/led-lighting-market

At the very least the LED manufactures have an outlet to sell their overruns on custom tint/flux bins…

I got the DHL delivery from Kaidomain today with my first 3V 50.2’s. They sent 22 in place of the 25 I ordered, although the invoice inside was checked off as 25. Ugh!

I also got the IRA NightWatch 26650 flashlight, with a de-domed SST-40… nice! Like this light, well made and comes with nice accessories including a new lens! Cool!

Now, where is my LED4Power Q8 board…. :wink:

Got the 3V 50.2’s on an LED4Power board, installed in a pretty tricked out Q8… bypassed large Blue springs, copper plate soldered between springs, solder blobbed 30Q’s, new and freshly charged.

A ridiculous 17,284 lumens at start, falling like a rock to 9,073 lumens at 30 seconds. Need to look into how everything is fitting inside, may need to replace the distance lost by using no centering rings with a piece of copper sheet under the driver.

15,555.6 if I reduce according to the Maukka test lights. Either way, very very bright light.

Are you using 25Ss and an AR lens?

You may be able to do 20k lumens with that setup.

New Samsung 30Q’s with solder blobs, but yes I have an UCLp lens in place.

18,216 lumens at start on the Samsung 25S cell fresh off the charger. My box numbers.