4 Pictures of My New Manafont 3 x XM-L 2x 18650 - Dangerous?

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/2390?page=6#comment-56421

can you post links

I can't even get mine apart. 5 mode. Mine doesn't have two springs either. I would return it unless you can fix it.

Concerns scattered through out this post.

Boom. This was a three cell. This is different, but demonstrates the energies involved when this type of system has a catastrophic failure. I am happy that the flashlight owner was physically OK. I don't think I would be OK mentally if I had any flashlight explode in my hand next to my head.

The thing everyone needs to understand is these batteries hold a tremendous amount of potential energy and we are all playing odds when we buy the cheapest Chinese cells we can afford. There are tens of thousands of these if not more out there being used everyday, but realistically the number of actual mishaps is quite low for the actual number of batteries in use. Common sense must be used these devices are not idiot proof not even close in fact they are quite dangerous if you are not careful. Everyday you use these lights you become more complacent, more comfortable sometimes you are in a rush or for whatever reason you neglect to show the proper respect these batteries deserve and boom it happens. When used properly in my opinion it is very unlikely you will blow up, but it happens.

Almost all of the catastrophic failures I have seen have been multi battery lights fresh off the charger explosions so check your batteries with a voltmeter every time they come off the charger and unless you are extremely unlucky you will not blow up.

I for one am not giving up my multicell lights but I am not going to be reckless about using them either. When I drive a car I wear a seat belt when I ride a motorcycle I wear a helmet and when I use my lithium ion battery powered lights I test the batteries when they come off the charger pretty simple.

Well said E1320. Matching the batteries should be done and vetted cells used.

I also operate bikes and cars. Somehow my luck has outstripped my stupidity with vehicles and I am in good health. My lesson learned was to be safety conscious. There is a great deal of potential energy in these cells. When these cells are combined with low quality parts and shoddy craftsmanship to the point that the light is sent to the customer with a dead short in place, it is history repeating itself. I don't have a link but from memory this is not the first dangerous product type to come from that country. Even one person blinded is not acceptable. They have proven that unchecked, dangerous items from this country will flow without remorse.

Safety through statistics is not the way to go. Sure, chances are you will be fine operating a motor vehicle. But the odd thing is, we are not safe. 30,000+ die each year in crashes (US).

Indeed, the flashlight group is not the RC group. In the latter they deal with even more dangerous situations and accidents are pretty high, but generally they are more technical minded about the packs and charging practises. Dud batts and chargers are not uncommon. While for flashlights, new users are generally clueless about it. In RC if you are clueless technically and do not join a group to get help and fine tune first, usually you do not get to run them helis / planes, usually it crashes hard on the first flight and you get a huge repair bill before you even hit the battery/charger issues. LOL! Sealed

Just check youtube for Li-Po fires in R/C.