New High Lumen Claim - 3800 Lumens!

Yes, diameter of the batteries must not be more than 18mm. Length should not be more than 100mm without the section, or not more than 130mm with the section. So 14500, 17500 and 18500 will fit.

I put 2 x AA which is same as 14500, they fit and there is absolutely no rattle as the 2 springs at the tailcap and head compresses them well. But it cannot work due to insufficient voltage.

Aloha and welcome to BLF scheven_architect!

Anyway, i'd like to add a safety disclaimer for those who wants to use 2 x 18500 or even "risk" 14500 by taking away the extension tube for 2 x 18650. Use IMR, or if you really wanna risk it with Li-Co, do use good cells and check voltage conscienciously (1) directly off the charger, make it SOP and (2) after discharging, check if its matched, this can be done for the first 2 discharges and randomly done after that. You need to find out which are good matched cells suitable for use in a 2-cell setup as it is potentially explosive. If you are not technically good, don't do this. Everyone has different cells and chargers.

Don't rely on safety PCB. Assume the worst that it is not working, user SOP/know-how is always best.

I've been searching the net for info on Sky Ray 3xT6 and on a German forum I found a link to SZOBM ZY-2400 3xXM-L T6 another 3xT6 light that works with 4x18650

Edit

I see it's been discussed already in our forum https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/2331

appreciate your enthusiasm :)!

What should i do to prevent overheating? some say use aluminium, but is it regular foil? and where to put it?

greetings!

Don't have to do it. With the glass lens/bezel removed, the alu drop in does not get very much hotter than the front head aluminum. The drop-in is fixed and secured inside, i guess they used some thermal epoxy?

I'd say its a bit better than a P60 host with aluminum tape wrapped. Of course the light will overheat if you manage to pile up 2 really good cells like Panasonic 2900s and gun it on high for 40 mins straight tailstanded (don't do that)....careful of the cells overheating and damaging it also btw (few high power modern LEDs don't overheat unless its really underdriven).

mine will be here on friday! cant wait.

Aloha and welcome to BLF Matjazz!

Ok, nobody's blown up yet - I'm starting to get tempted. Has anyone measured the OTF lumens on this puppy?

Welcome to the forum Matjazz

I guess nothing will get blown up as long as you are careful and adopt good Li-ion handling SOP. Good cells/anything can also blow up, just that they have less of a chance.

I'd say 1700 lumens at the emitter, +/- 20% is not very critical in reality as the brain cannot really tell the difference if they are shone alone, assuming pupils full dilated and retina full dark adapted. (we have the same arguments regarding beam visiblity for lasers which we discuss at LPF)

More beamshots here by Richie086 vs the power Catapult V2 XM-L and 5 x R2. The Catapult V2 XM-L has 1000 LED emitter lumens driven to 3A with crazy amount of heatsinking. Check out the spill intensity of the 2 lights for a lumens gauge.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316171-3-x-XM-L-2x-18650-quot-3800-quot-lumen-Sky-Ray-light-found-for-52-shipped...&p=3676360&viewfull=1#post3676360

Photo credits to riche086 at CPF. Look at the hotspot of the Skyray, its a bit dimmer, but the area is like 4-6X in area of that Catapult V2. Check out the spill. In low mode this is very usable up-close even.

Sky Ray 2 x T6

asd

Thrunite Catapult V2 XM-L

asd

2100, thanks for the info. I'll need to start measuring my batteries now that I'm looking at multiple cell hosts.

No problem. 2 x RCR123A lights have been around for ages. Its like fireworks....i enjoy firing them in another country. Pretty harmless roman candles can also become deadly if handled improperly, one is not supposed to hold in the hands! (misfired means the balls can penetrate the back tube and whack onto your body and some 1.5" balls pack quite a punch and heat energy - check youtube....) You get the idea.....

Even with good cells in a multiple-cell light here operating for long periods at high, the front cell will be thermally stressed more thus discharge differently vs the back cell and become imbalanced over time. Still need to check occassionally.

Regarding the above pic of 3 x T6 vs Catapult V2 with crazy amt of heatsinking (same 2 x 18650 format), what I think is that if you shift from 1 emitter to 3 emitter, even though its a 52.7mm drop-in format which was earlier thought to be "severely performance limited", the nature of load balancing via 3 emitters effectively lets the diode junction temp to be lower in essesence which frees up more leeway to drive higher, you do get more lumens capability this way. This is even though both heads are around the same thermal mass, and one is like dumping twice as much lumens. Will be quite a while before the head and body of a 2x18650 format heat saturates.

When my lux meter comes I'll do a measurement on how much it drops.

Ok, i gave it 4.03V x 2 = 8.2V it reads 2.86A. 23.05W These cells are average (they are labelled CGI Engineering, bought it locally, one of the flashlight brands), so the sag under load could be more.

4.22V panasonic and its 2.55A. 21.52W

I used a "PALIGHT" brand 3000mAH which i purchased from Manafont. 3.98V so that's like 70% juice left. They drew 2.91A. Reulation is there.

Using a camera to photograph all 4 types of cells, no difference in output. You should do pretty ok with just about any cell. Just make sure the PCB protection kicks in, because when the cell voltage drops the regulation will just suck more and more current, might be dangerous for unprotected cells.

Well, for sheer output 3 x $20 XML lights ghetto modded (ie. duct taped) together might offer similar lumen/$ vlaue.

Thanx for welcomes :)

The Sky Ray 3xT6 is a very tempting light and I think it'll be a nice upgrade to Romisen RC-T6 with exception of tail switch (Romisen has side switch)

I've ordered a Sky Ray XML T-6 from Manafot. If all goes well I'll most likely order the 3xT6

I hate you all! :( I promised myself to save money, but had to order mine.

Anyone could guess or know what is the difference between the Skyray and this one http://www.shenzhen-wholesale.com/SZOBM-ZY-2400-3xXM-L-T6-LED-Aluminum-CREE-Flashlight_sku4235.html

It takes more batteries and it seems cheaper! :o

I already have many 5*R2 and 5*Q5, but my brighter flashlight is a Solarforce L1200 which I use with IMR's by AW. Will this Skyray be brighter than the Soltarfoce??? If so, I will be the happiest man of the world... until a better deal comes out :)

Matjazz, that’s a real good point. A light this long needs a side switch, not a tail switch. Sure would be nice if one of these makers realized that.

BTW...welcome to BLF! :)

Johnny

The SZOBM needs at least 3 cells to operate,2 cells it just draws like 0.07A. Also the price is excluding shipping, its usd9.9 to Belgium. Somebody by the name of Thommy purchased that.

Solarforce L1200 is 30W+ halogen? This is 20W LED, no fight, LED wins. But halogen may take the throw throne.

Check out the candlepowerforum link i posted, there's a comparison between the 3 x T6 and 5 * R2 or something, and the Catapult V2 XM-L.

Thanks, I already saw the CPF post, it's very interesting :) Seems like the Sky ray is pretty bright although not soooo much, but I can't judge by myself until I have it on my hands. Is it with two cells as bright as with three cells?

The Solarforce L1200 is halogen but high pressure (not HID), it's really really bright. It beats 5*R2 without any doubt. And of course, L1200 is a super thrower as well. It's a big monster though, too bulky :(