6th Annual BLF Handmade Entry (Finished!) - gchart

1. Add a nice lanyard hole
  2. Add a threaded insert for tri-pod
  3. Change to RGB+W emitters and a nice driver with color ramping/mixing OOPS, didn’t see the part about not changing the PCBs
  4. Go back to the oak (that one will take up plenty of your time :stuck_out_tongue: )

EDIT: I need to say, though, the Poplar looks really nice. My suggestion to go back to oak was just so you could use more time.

Good luck with the build ! :beer:

I love what you guys can do with something I seem to be only able to burn. Looking good with what you have done so far. :+1:

My 4000K LEDs have arrived and I just assembled the final circuit boards.

I also cut the copper pipe that will partially surround the battery. It’s been cut to length and a strip going the length of the battery has been cut. Now I want to cut a hole in the “back” of it so I can push the battery out from behind. Kinda a mess to explain, but pretty simple. I’ll snap a pic later.

Edit: here are the final circuit boards (differences from the prototype are the switch inclusion and the current regulating diode instead of a resistor)

Taking shape :+1:

Awesome!

Ok, I’ve got the battery guard knocked out. It’s made out of 3/4” copper pipe. I first cut a slice out of it lengthwise. I then drilled two holes with a step bit. I used a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder to remove the section between the two holes.

After the metal was in it’s rough but final shape, I spent an hour or two tweaking it with a hand file and 80 grit sandpaper. It then got progressively higher sandpaper (up to 2000 grit?) followed by a little polishing with Mother’s Mag Polish.

And here it is, mocked up in place.

Now I need to solder it in place, followed by the two conducting rods.

Looks beautiful, clean work!

Nice going ! :+1:

Very smooth. :slight_smile:

This is a very nice, clean build :+1:

I’m not sure what else you could do to add to it - maybe add something so it can be hung up?

Nice work on the battery holder / guard.

Near final shots. I feel like doing something a little more to fancy up the outside, I just need to decide what that is.

Top side internals (on), showing labelling

Bottom side internals (off), on-off switch side

Bottom side internals (off), showing mercury switch

Assembled, bright orientation

Assembled, dim orientation

Maybe it’s just the camera response, but it looks like you need a bit more diffusion. Maybe find a cool pattern of DC-Fix to coat the outside to add more diffusion, and give it some aesthetic “texture” to the otherwise smooth-looking plastic cylinder.

That’s exactly what I had in mind, David. I don’t have any DC Fix laying around, but I know they make some pretty cool patterns of window frosting film. I might try one of those, but I think I’d hate the seam. Dunno :weary:

Maybe you can find one with a pattern that isn’t too hard to trace with a razor knife. Then, you might be able to hide the seam by tiling it together.

EDIT: Another option might be to spiral the material around the tube. Cut the material to a couple inches wide or so, then wrap it in a spiral, and make the “seam” look intentional!

Looking great :+1:
Maybe a cell with a white covering or a little copper tape on the side would help too.

The wood caps look so precise. Every component looks so nice. Great work!

Just flip it so the LEDs are on the top end. You won’t notice it then since it won’t be shining in your eyes. Just my 2 cents.

Great job btw. Looks awesome :+1:

If I were redesigning the PCBs, I might only have the top side illuminated at any one time… but as it stands, all 8 LEDs (4 on top, 4 on bottom) are always lit (unless you turn it completely off).