6th Annual BLF Handmade Entry (Finished!) - gchart

Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry.

No problem! I appreciate the ideas.

Today (in an attempt to use materials on hand) I tested painting a housing with white spray paint, but it looked uneven and blocked too much light.

I’m thinking about trying a layer of the thin packing foam to help diffuse the light.

I think diffusing film would probably work well, but that’s more stuff I would need to go buy, which I would prefer to avoid but could if I need to.

So when do you start up production? :wink:

Ok, final touches… messing around with additional diffusion. I tried 4 things and came up with something I like pretty well.

1. Control shot, only diffusion is the housing which has been roughed up with sandpaper, then sprayed with Frosted Glass spray paint

2. I forgot to take a pic, but I tried some white spray paint. But when illuminated from behind, it was UGLY. No good.

3. Parchment paper. Not to bad, but I realized my parchment paper has cut lines that showed through. No good.

4. Wax paper. Pretty similar to the parchment, but no cut lines. It looked pretty good, but was a PITA to put in place. Meh.

5. Packing foam (the thick stuff). This worked out pretty well. Easier to put in place and good diffusion. You can kinda see the foam cells, but not very noticeable in person. Winner!

Here’s a proper shot of it, before the diffusion foam:

Ok, and now a GIF of it in action:

And that’s a wrap! (or should I say Flip?) :smiley:

Sweet!! :laughing:
Nice idea and well concretized :wink: Good work :+1:

Cool. :+1:

Your Gif should come with a warning. I was stuck staring at the screen looking at lights turning from low to high with a big flash when flipped over. Wasn’t till the wife walked in and turned the computer off that I was un mesmerised. The good wife wanted the choirs to be done. :stuck_out_tongue:

Orsm lantern and good to see it come to fruition and working as it should. :beer:

Thanks guys!

Moose: I’ve found myself staring at it too!

MtnDon: I was feeling pretty good about mine until I watched yours come together… absolutely beautiful woodwork!

Is that gif on a loop or you just can’t stop flipping it :laughing:

Pretty sweet end product :+1:

Nice :+1:

Pretty neat, nice work :+1: :beer:

Wonderful creation. Congrats on build gchart!

He keeps flipping it because each time he forgets he just flipped it.

Tally-ho, 100 internet points for you!

Diffusion foam! Nice work! :student:

BTW, I have 6 extra PCBs from PCBway. I will likely never use them, so if anyone would like to build their own version of this, let me know and I could probably send you a set (sorry… US only, international shipping would be prohibitively expensive). I also have extras of most of the electronics (LEDs, mercury switches, etc).